Bitch or dog?

rubyrumba

Visit site
I am getting a Hungarian vizsla puppy in the near future.
I have only ever had bitches but am debating whether or not to get a dog.
Has anyone owned both and can tell me the main differences apart from the obvious please!! Thanks in advance.

BigRed

Visit site
I always have bitches. The reason is simple. I can cuddle my bitches without it becoming a sex thing. I can stroke their lovely tummies without a willy getting involved.

I went for a walk with my friend and her dog. He was cocking his leg over most things, including his own leg. My friend did not think it a big deal to have to wipe the smelly urine off his tummy and legs. (yuck)

But mostly... I am afraid I find it quite disgusting to watch a dog licking his thing. Of course my bitches clean themselves, but it isn't nearly so self gratifying as it seems to be for dogs.

And lastly... I can't tell you how much I hate seeing dogs hump cushions, toys, people legs, etc.

Nope, it's girls for me, every time.

ladyearl

vvv
I always have bitches. The reason is simple. I can cuddle my bitches without it becoming a sex thing. I can stroke their lovely tummies without a willy getting involved.

I went for a walk with my friend and her dog. He was cocking his leg over most things, including his own leg. My friend did not think it a big deal to have to wipe the smelly urine off his tummy and legs. (yuck)

But mostly... I am afraid I find it quite disgusting to watch a dog licking his thing. Of course my bitches clean themselves, but it isn't nearly so self gratifying as it seems to be for dogs.

And lastly... I can't tell you how much I hate seeing dogs hump cushions, toys, people legs, etc.

Couldn't sum it up better myself. I find bitches more bonding somehow too. But in saying that each to their own and all that!

Jake10

Visit site

Should point out that my dogs aren't the breed you're after :eek:

I seem to have the exact opposite. My bitch cocks her leg and wees allover her back legs my boy never wees on himself.

My bitch wees more often on a walk. I was sad enough to count how many once :eek: She did over 20 while my boy only did 1 :eek:

Bitch spends more time cleaning herself than the dog. She also likes to spend time cleaning his bits :rolleyes:

He's never humped anything. She loves to hump him and leave her juices on his back :mad:

She loves to roll in stinky dead things and poo. He has more sense :)

He's my first dog and she's my third bitch and by far the filthiest :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I have owned both sexes and as regards the Dobermann have only had one bitch and 3 males. If you put a gun to my head I would say I prefer the males having owned 1 entire male and 2 neutered males. Ive never had them humping and my entire male never marked in my house or anyone elses. They also didnt/dont pee down their legs and would not cock their leg on anyone either as some peoples dogs do. Never had a problem with them getting their willy out either when they have a cuddle or belly rub.

I did know someone who had an entire bitch which would masturbate and make the most horrible noises whilst doing this.:eek::rolleyes:

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
I have had dogs and bitches, not Vizlas but lurchers and now a Bedlington. By bedlington dog is 10 months old, went through a 1 month humpy state and had his bottom smacked for that. Now no humping. he is very affectionate, and incredibly loyal, he has tummy tickles without his showing his bits. he doesn;t mark here or anywhere in the house. Outside he does not sent everywhere. My bitch is loyalish....... providing she is not hunting. She loves men, over women. My old dog was mine, totally loyal to me, to the exclusion of all bitches, dogs and other people. So In my experience dogs seem more loyal, and bitches more independent

miller

Visit site
Got a neutered male w cocker, no weeing on himself or us, no humping and never seen willy out! Had bitches before and tbh no real difference (have never had entire dog or bitch)

Chrissy4221

Visit site
In regards to hunting breeds, these are some things that I was told about the differences in a few things. Maybe itll help you... Of course, it all depends on the dog too, as my dogs dont have some of these behaviors.

Female

•more hard mouthed
•smarter but more challenging
•more behavior challenges
•suffer more from seperation anxienty(certain hunting breeds)
•will take the upper paw if given the chance
•once altered, urine can burn the lawn
•altering is expensive and recovery time much longer

Male

•more laid back and easy going
•easier to train both hunt and obiedence
•matures more slowly
•can handle more pressure when training
•takes to competing easier
•easier to house break
•the prey drive is less prominant in males.
•handle stress and new situations easier than a female.
•once altered, urine does not burn the lawn
•1/2 the cost to get altered with less recovery time
•if altered at the proper age, does not leg lift to urinate
•not necessarily larger than a female from same litter

Vizslak

Visit site
In vizslas more specifically I have tended to note that bitches are more people orientated whilst dogs tend to have a little more passion for canine friends and are a little more independant. Having said that both dogs and bitches of the breed are generally clingy, just the dogs a little less so in my experience, which could be seen as a plus or minus point depending on how you look at it!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Mine are almost exactly the opposite of what Chrissy has just posted, most obviously the fact that my boy dog's urine is positively caustic and he's a whinging, worrying stresshead. :p It's a personality thing rather than what sex they are, I think. Both have their charms.

Chrissy4221

Visit site
It is really hard to say. I guess I am going by the breed that I know, which is a CBR. Its all about the personality really is what I think. Those things I have posted are supposedly accurate from what people tell me....lol. I honestly think my male husky is more stubborn than my females. But, I do see some of the traits for a female in my CBR. Was very stubborn, but I think more highly trainable than my husky and easier to train. Dont look for either male/female. Just go by which pup you like the best. There will be things to deal with for either dog you choose. Its best to just go by which pup you think will be the best fit for you.

GeeGeeboy

Visit site
I have an entire male dog who has been used as a stud. He is the sweetest , most loving little boy. He never humps my leg or furniture or anything for that matter! I can cuddle him quite happily without his willy getting in the way! Not all male dogs are sex pests!

MiCsarah

Visit site
We have a 6month old ridegback dog at work and I LOVE him!!Hes HUGE thoughand obviously still has some growing left. Before he came along there was 2 old ridegbacks. 1bitch and 1 dog. Bitch was a much nicer size and was alot sweeter. The dog was quite frightening when owner wasnt there so think dogs are mcuh better guard dogs

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I've only ever had whole dogs. Pups went through a humping stage but stopped. I couldn't stand the mess with bitches and the spaying costs as no way would I leave a bitch whole.

Willeeckers

Visit site
I really do think a lot comes down to personality. We had/have two lab bitches, mother and daughter. They were totally different characters, mother has always been very independent, hard work to train (read difficult and extremely testing!) and although she will put up with fuss not a cuddly dog at all. Her daughter was the complete opposite, very cuddly, loved fuss and was my mums little shadow, not the brightest creature but very loving.
I do wonder if the different characters are part of the reason why the mother is still with us at 15yrs old but her daughter died of kidney failure at 10yrs old.

paulineh

Visit site
I have had both and still do.

They have all worked (English Springer Spaniels) They are kenneled outside and kept seperately when the bitches are in season.

If I was only allowed one sex then I would have a Dog. I have had less trouble with the Dogs than I have had with the Bitches.

I have found the dogs easier to train.

touchstone

Visit site
I've had dogs and bitches with labs, bedlingtons, bedlington x patterdales, and various large x breeds. Personally I prefer having dogs. I find them much more loyal, whereas bitches can be a bit aloof at times and fairly easy to train, the exception was the patterdalex - he was a little bu**er!

I've always had neutered dogs though which I think makes a difference.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I prefer boys, although currently own one and four bitches. I've owned an ex-stud whippet who did have a habit of peeing in new places, wasn't a randy andy though and wasn't interested in other dogs or bitches. My current BT went through a (very) short phase as a pup of humping 'Big Ted' who was subsequently dumped in a skip - problem solved. My previous castrated BT, wasn't sexual or a dirty boy and I have found them all to be very loyal, unsulky and game for anything!:)

PolarSkye

Visit site
Have one of each and can honestly say that I feel it depends much more on the individual dog (or bitch) than the gender. Both of ours are very sweet and loyal. Fred has never had a humping phase - neither has Daisy (both are neutered). Both clean their bits with equal vigor . . . I am able to rub Fred's tummy without his willy making an appearance. Neither are dominant with people (but then they are both quite submissive dogs anyway).

FWIW, humping is often about dominance rather than sexual frustration . . . a few years ago we had a bitch who humped other dogs (never people or inanimate objects) . . . it was all about her being top dog.

If I were looking for a puppy, I'd be more interested in temperament than gender.

P

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
I have two bitches and one dog. I honestly think it depends on the personality of the individual. All three are delightful with people, really friendly. Both of my bitches are very submissive with other dogs, my boy well he is an entire male stud dog and is dominant with other dogs and this can prove problematic at times (other dogs attack him) he has never attacked another dog (he is obviously perfect with bitches)! I honestly believe that even if he was neutered he would be the same, his Mum is a very dominant bitch. So whatever you go for try and make sure it's a submissive type as a dominant bitch or dog can be a pain in the @ss! Easier said than done when they are very young pups as I guess you won't know the full extent of their personality at such a young age

Last edited: