Bitch Spay

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Just had my Alaskan husky bitch spayed on Monday. Would have liked keyhole but the practice doesn't do it so had to go traditional. My vet, as expected, advised on leash walks for 10-14 days afterwards, then build up to normal exercise, & she should be ok to be working in harness again by October. She is technically on a long leash all the time anyway given her breeding, but normally allowed to run. I take "on leash" instructions by a vet to mean to heel at a walk. However, hubby took her in for a post-op check yesterday, & the vet nurse who did the check advised 4 weeks on leash walks (no issues with her scar or anything). I've never been advised such a long time with any other bitches. Do you think that sound a bit excessive, being twice as long as i'd been previously advised?

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Just had my Alaskan husky bitch spayed on Monday. Would have liked keyhole but the practice doesn't do it so had to go traditional. My vet, as expected, advised on leash walks for 10-14 days afterwards, then build up to normal exercise, & she should be ok to be working in harness again by October. She is technically on a long leash all the time anyway given her breeding, but normally allowed to run. I take "on leash" instructions by a vet to mean to heel at a walk. However, hubby took her in for a post-op check yesterday, & the vet nurse who did the check advised 4 weeks on leash walks (no issues with her scar or anything). I've never been advised such a long time with any other bitches. Do you think that sound a bit excessive, being twice as long as i'd been previously advised?

How old is your bitch? Is she older than what your other bitches were? Have there been an complications? I would be inclined to ask why so long. My thought would have been they are worried about tearing, but you say there is no issue with scar. So perhaps something else is troubling them. But I would have thought a month is a long time too.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
She's rising 2, so about the same age that my others have been done. No complications, no additional risks, vet nurse was happy with the wound. I would have thought if she had any worries causing her to extend the rest period, she would have explained. I'm inclined to think she maybe just made a mistake. I don't particularly want to call & question the vet as i've already listened & been given instructions, but i think i may have to just in case.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
Has she got to have her stitches out at 7 /10 days, could you ask then? I would just use your common sense, mine gave never been restricted longer than a week and I rarely manage that long.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Thanks, but no, they're dissolving stitches, so hopefully we won't have any reason to go back in. I think i'm going to just call & ask for confirmation. I think we can manage 10-14 days but she'd be climbing the walls after 4wks - seems like a ridiculous suggestion.

Moobli

Visit site
Seems excessive - I'd ring and ask why.

Give them a call and ask why four weeks- that is a long time. Keyhole should be the same recovery time as you still go through the same muscles.

Keyhole or Laparoscopic spay recovery time is generally much quicker as the ovaries and uterus are operated on in their normal position with camera and instruments and the blood vessels are cut and sealed ultrasonically. Whereas restricted exercise time with traditional spay is usually 10-14 days, with keyhole it is minimal and I have known a number of working dogs to go back to work within a couple of days.

Our sheepdog bitch is to be spayed in September and I'm trying to convince the OH that the extra cost (and travel to a vet who performs this procedure) is well worth it.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
That's my understanding WGSD. It would have been my chosen route if possible at my own vet, but i decided not to travel to have it done (just because i wanted her with my own vet).

twiggy2

Visit site
Seems excessive - I'd ring and ask why.

Keyhole or Laparoscopic spay recovery time is generally much quicker as the ovaries and uterus are operated on in their normal position with camera and instruments and the blood vessels are cut and sealed ultrasonically. Whereas restricted exercise time with traditional spay is usually 10-14 days, with keyhole it is minimal and I have known a number of working dogs to go back to work within a couple of days.

Our sheepdog bitch is to be spayed in September and I'm trying to convince the OH that the extra cost (and travel to a vet who performs this procedure) is well worth it.

Where I work clients are told on lead excersise, no running/jumping till 10 days for both.
The risk of herniation exists the same whether keyhole surgery or not. Yes if traditional surgery the wound can potentially be bigger but risk still exists keyhole.

Chiffy

Visit site
Restricted exercise, no playing with other dogs or racing round the garden, on lead walks until stitches out in ten days.
Done this , so many times over a lifetime of dogs and never a problem.
Even survived the odd mistake, like when I caught my whippet taking a toy to the top of the stairs, dropping it down and racing down after it! Whoops, stairs not allowed! She was fine!

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
my whippet was bounding around at the vets when I went to pick her up. I had her dew claws taken off at the same time as I felt that as she was on restricted exercise i would only have to do it once. God it was hard keeping her calm. She normally walks calmly off lead, but on lead she wants to see everything and everyone and bounds around. I solved it by walking her off lead in a friends field and keeping her in close control. But only lasted 7 days as she then was trying to bound up and down stairs and playing with my bedlington at every opportunity. insane creature. She never had a cone of shame and never tried to pull at her wounds or bandages. just too full of energy for her own good.

PorkChop

Visit site
Just use your common sense and of course it does depend on the individual dogs character.

I just kept mine quiet until the stitches were out, but they didn't need to be put on the lead.

{97702}

Visit site
Hmmm this thread has made me thoughtful - Millie lurcher will be spayed in September (I.e. ASAP!) and the thought of keeping her quiet and calm even for 10 days is hard to contemplate - 4 weeks would be impossible!

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Restricted exercise, no playing with other dogs or racing round the garden, on lead walks until stitches out in ten days.
Done this , so many times over a lifetime of dogs and never a problem.
Even survived the odd mistake, like when I caught my whippet taking a toy to the top of the stairs, dropping it down and racing down after it! Whoops, stairs not allowed! She was fine!

Same advice previously & from vet, hence why i thought this was a bit odd ... although dare i say it ... it was my hubby who received this advice so ... :) x

eatmyshorts

Visit site
my whippet was bounding around at the vets when I went to pick her up. I had her dew claws taken off at the same time as I felt that as she was on restricted exercise i would only have to do it once. God it was hard keeping her calm. She normally walks calmly off lead, but on lead she wants to see everything and everyone and bounds around. I solved it by walking her off lead in a friends field and keeping her in close control. But only lasted 7 days as she then was trying to bound up and down stairs and playing with my bedlington at every opportunity. insane creature. She never had a cone of shame and never tried to pull at her wounds or bandages. just too full of energy for her own good.

Oh, i feel your pain! My girl has pure racing lines both sides & all she wants to do is run. Even with a very short leash (& i'm talking 3 or 4 inches) she seems to manage to leap vertically all four feet off the ground into the air screaming while she does it - it's like walking some sort of demented springbok!

Last edited:

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Lévrier;13598976 said:
Hmmm this thread has made me thoughtful - Millie lurcher will be spayed in September (I.e. ASAP!) and the thought of keeping her quiet and calm even for 10 days is hard to contemplate - 4 weeks would be impossible!

10 days almost manageable, 4 weeks impossible is my way of thinking! I've been doing some clicker training with her & have found that is helping quite a bit to wear her out mentally.

{97702}

Visit site
Thanks for the reassurance Bosworth, PucciNPoni and EMS :) :) I am actually wondering whether to have her dew claws off at the same time now, Flick (10 year old greyhound) has endless problems with hers and if I can avoid that hassle I would like to....

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Levrier i had them done at the same time and no issues at all, you might as well as she will be under the GA anyway, and resting with a collar on. Everything healed about the same time, and having had a smooth haired lurcher who ripped a dew claw badly, i wouldnt want to leave them on again.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Lévrier;13600377 said:
Thanks for the reassurance Bosworth, PucciNPoni and EMS :) :) I am actually wondering whether to have her dew claws off at the same time now, Flick (10 year old greyhound) has endless problems with hers and if I can avoid that hassle I would like to....

I would too Levrier - saves her going under another GA if needed at a later date.