Bites or laminitis?

vannersrus

Visit site
One of my horses is a section a who I rescued a number of years ago. She has had very bad lami in the past but through careful management and good farriery has avoided it for four years or so.
She is out on a bare track overnight- this morning she came in and was covered in bites/ hives all over both shoulders, neck and face .
Coincidentally the Farrier was due too .
He felt she was obviously very sore but also felt pulses raised and she looked footy.
He wouldn’t shoe her in case it was lami and made it worse. He’s returning in a few days to check again.
She is on piriton and bute .
Is it possible do you think that a reaction to the bites could actually cause laminitis itself, or is it all just a coincidence?
I’m waiting for the vet to return my call.

elizabeth1

Visit site
One of my horses is a section a who I rescued a number of years ago. She has had very bad lami in the past but through careful management and good farriery has avoided it for four years or so.
She is out on a bare track overnight- this morning she came in and was covered in bites/ hives all over both shoulders, neck and face .
Coincidentally the Farrier was due too .
He felt she was obviously very sore but also felt pulses raised and she looked footy.
He wouldn’t shoe her in case it was lami and made it worse. He’s returning in a few days to check again.
She is on piriton and bute .
Is it possible do you think that a reaction to the bites could actually cause laminitis itself, or is it all just a coincidence?
I’m waiting for the vet to return my call.
Has she been galloping on the hard ground because of the bites and so got concussion laminitis?

millikins

Visit site
It will be interesting to know what your vet thinks. I suspect it's possible, if blood toxicity can trigger laminitis then a severe inflammatory response to bites/stings may be the reason. Good luck, it could just be coincidence, the sudden grass spurt after recent rain and warmer temperatures is also prime lami inducing conditions.

vannersrus

Visit site
It will be interesting to know what your vet thinks. I suspect it's possible, if blood toxicity can trigger laminitis then a severe inflammatory response to bites/stings may be the reason. Good luck, it could just be coincidence, the sudden grass spurt after recent rain and warmer temperatures is also prime lami inducing conditions.
Thank you