Biting when doing up girth?

Ellietotz

Visit site
So I know the first thing is vets etc, she has been scoped for ulcers, back checked, teeth, had physio, saddle has been fitted and reflocked, been on general painkillers for something else and was still the same when doing the girth. Also get the same faces when brushing the same area unless eating and distracted. She's got a lovely soft fleece girth, only get near miss bites and the occasional leg lift to threaten with a kick when doing it up, everything else isn't a problem at all, she loves being ridden etc, I just don't understand it as surely it would hurt whilst being ridden too and you would see signs of that? The first thing I suspected was ulcers but she's been fully checked for everything. Could this just be her personality and wants to tell you off because you're making her work or is it something else? I'm lost for other ideas. It's not all the time it happens, only if she's particularly moody at that time. Appreciate any advice!

Ellietotz

Visit site
It's amusing that my post a couple of hours a go was about her bullying others too! My mare sounds evil! She can be nice sometimes, I swear!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Do you do the girth up slowly like 1 hole at a time? I only ask as I see quite a few people really tighten the girth far to quickly and quite often if the horse has experienced this its a learned response to the pain so they bite, one of mine can be sensitive to the girth I just do it up very loose to start then very gradually as I get myself ready I start to tighten it and his then fine, I have noticed that if someone else does his girth he has a look of panic on his face, so it's like he knows when I do it its comfortable but his really not sure about anyone else.

debsflo

Visit site
Is it related to seasons as mine is worse at that time of the month and I think some horses are thinner skinned and more sensitive generally.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Do you do the girth up slowly like 1 hole at a time? I only ask as I see quite a few people really tighten the girth far to quickly and quite often if the horse has experienced this its a learned response to the pain so they bite, one of mine can be sensitive to the girth I just do it up very loose to start then very gradually as I get myself ready I start to tighten it and his then fine, I have noticed that if someone else does his girth he has a look of panic on his face, so it's like he knows when I do it its comfortable but his really not sure about anyone else.

I normally do it on the first couple of holes so it's loose still but when I am ready, I do it up properly but I do do it slowly, I've never yanked it up. I will try doing it gradually as I go though to see if that works. Thank you.
I've just been looking at signs of gastric ulcers again and she really isn't like that at all. She loves her food, she has no problems being ridden, jumping, isn't stressed, no changes in behaviour, she's always been a stroppy mare but nothing different to how she has always been. Fingers crossed this'll work! :)

Ellietotz

Visit site
Is it related to seasons as mine is worse at that time of the month and I think some horses are thinner skinned and more sensitive generally.

She definitely has sensitive skin, she can get mud fever if not treated property, brushing all over is normally a soft brush too, no tugging to get mud out etc. I hoped the fleece lined girth would help when brushing underneath after riding, it doesn't look sore but maybe the sweat is irritating. Not sure how I could stop this? And she's normally quite moody all the time but yes, not as many problems with the girth when not in season!

dixie

Visit site
My horse was all this, was really good in other respects expect girthing but he did scope positive for ulcers. It might be worth treating her as an ulcer horse such as feeding low sugar etc just in case and maybe a small course of charcoal.
Also have you tried her on Oestress, I've not had a mare for years but I believe many people have good results on this.

Lulup

Visit site
My 6yo TB mare is very similar. She scoped clear, has regular Physio & Chiro (as do I), annual dental checks and I have had her saddle checked by two different saddlers to make sure nothing was missed. She hates being brushed and bites/lifts a leg before her saddle even touches her back. She has two saddles that are fitted to her (she prefers one of them but I do alternate a bit just in case) and I've tried different saddle cloths/girths/pads - I stick with the combination she seems happiest in but still experiment with other things if she appears to be worsening. Funnily enough she stands stock still at the mounting block and is a decent sensible hack. She does have some issues and I'm not convinced I've got to the bottom of it so I'm awaiting an appointment date for her with Rob Jackson the Horseback Vet. I dont like to ignore anything that a horse seems so unhappy about but sometimes the answer isn't obvious ��

pippixox

Visit site
My 18yo tb ex racer hates his girth being done up and that area being brushed or clipped.
I have had him 10 years. He did have bad back from racing and think they often would of rushed his tacking up. I think he has never forgotten the pain. Tried slowly, different girths, treats and he has physio. But never really improved

Ellietotz

Visit site
My horse was all this, was really good in other respects expect girthing but he did scope positive for ulcers. It might be worth treating her as an ulcer horse such as feeding low sugar etc just in case and maybe a small course of charcoal.
Also have you tried her on Oestress, I've not had a mare for years but I believe many people have good results on this.

I was thinking this too. She's not on very much sugar apart from grazing in the day with hay and hay at night, her feed is light to no work pony nuts, high in fibre and same for the chaff. Just started her on chaste tree berries, so fingers crossed this works for the moodiness too. Will look into what to feed a horse with ulcers just in case and see if there are any changes. Thank you