Biting

dwi

Visit site
Daisy bites when you put her headcollar on. She doesn't try to stop you doing it but as you go to bring it further up on her head so that you can bring the strap up over the top she lunges at your stomach.

She's always done it, I know that her last owner titbitted so I asumed that that was why but its getting worse not better and I only ever treat her if I need to catch her in unusual circumstances outside of her routine and then I take a bucket so its not like shes handfeeding.

Does anyone else's horse do this? If she was biting me at any other point she would get a growl and if necessary a smack but she waits until both hands are really busy at the crucial moment of doing the strap up.

She seems to hate her headcollar, rubs it lots against the wall when she is tied up like she's trying to get it off and struggles alot when you tie her up if she doesn't want to be

emma69

Visit site
Try putting it on with the long 'over the head' part already done up - like a bridle. If you have one with a side clip it's really easy, and then you always have one hand that you can keep on her nose to hopefully stop her biting you.

dwi

Visit site
She has to be lead in her dually ( see my sig, second picture) because she pulls and barges (sounding like a lovely horse but shes sweet really). it does up like a normal headcollar but doesn't have a sideclip and you can't undo the noseband because of the strap accross it

Thanks for the thought though

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
As I wait to be shot down in flames, you've got a knee and elbows that can be just as effective if backed up with a firm growl... I do not tolerate biting under any circumstances here and lots of the retired ones used to bite when they first arrived.
None of them do now, you have to use effective body language such as full on stance and stare, and perfect that growl! (and yes, I have been known to lift a toe at something attempting to get me if my hands were busy! I'm not talking about kicking more the same sort of threat another horse would use to say "Oi, don't you dare do that to me..")
The only reason she is doing it is lack of respect in the pecking order which you need to teach her, once you have that she won't even try it.

dwi

Visit site
I can't quite imagine how to elbow or knee my horse when I have my back to her and my arms underneath her neck but I'll wait until no-one is looking to give it a go. I'd been stamping but that hadn't worked so I'll give it a go.

She doesn't respect me, more tolerates for feeding and exercise purposes. She seems to like being ridden but is a baggage on the ground. I had a Monty roberts trainer out to work with her and now that she has a dually I can lead her without her escaping but it hasn't solved the problem, only managed it.

She was a real project when i bought her and has turned out to be much more of one than I realised. I'm petrified that YO wil evict me if she behaves badly. They all know that she is difficult and should be kept away from but I don't like to regale people at the yard with every problem that I have.

HH you've touched on a huge can of worms here...

*sits rocking slowly*

Any of you lovely Nottingham folk fancy a day out in beautiful South Derbyshire? Amazing hacking in return for an experienced eye over Daisy.

jemima

Visit site
Standing with your back to her you are in THE perfect position to give her a good elbow into the base of her neck - go for it. As for putting on the dually, how about this. Get an old fashioned rope halter to put on her - now you have hold of her and have given her a damned good elbowing and growling at you can put the dually on over the top and then slide the halter out from underneath. Or just leave the halter on!

jemima

Visit site
If you can't elbow her hard in the neck, tap her cannonbone with your heel or tread down her coronary band. Obviously you don't want to be abusive to your horse - but on the other hand you don't want her to do it to you - and she's a lot bigger and stronger than you are.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
She needs to learn respect and unfortunatley it sounds like a whack is needed. Either with your elbow or knee. However you can get her you will need to. You won't need to do it for long, she will soon get the message. Sometimes you have to be tough with them

Theresa_F

Visit site
One assumes fair amount of gypsy cob there in her breeding.

They are the almost perfect horse, but they are clever and can be less sensitive than other breeds, they are also extremely brave and potentially bolshy.

I have found that what would work on my TBs, WB or arab - ie a growl or a pinch has no effect whatsoever on my GCs until they realise that if they don't respond to this, I will be tougher.

Chancer has learnt that if he does not respect a growl or a poke, then he will get an elbow or I also keep an old leg strap for when he refuses to move on a push of a finger to flick him. He is going to be a big boy and I expect him instantly to move on command back or over - this is a safety thing.

The breeder I bought Chancer from does gets them back for retraining where people have allowed them to get away with things and they have taken over. She says they need firm but fair handling.

Chancer learnt very quickly that a kick was returned with one, a nip received an elbow, barging got an elbow in the neck and if he kept moving into my space a flick with a rope and very agressive body langague to move him out resulted.

He has never been beaten, but I don't let him get away with anything - if anyone has met him they know he is not at all cowered and is a very well behaved and cheeky youngster.

I would suggest you use firmer handling - if she bites she gets a hard elbow or knee - do it harder each time and she will soon realise that biting has unpleasant consequences. Ditto the barging - carry a rope or an old leg strap or a short whip - if she squashes you flick her fairly hard

Also teach her to move back via your body langague - I call it the fish finger stance - basically stand stiff and with your arms out making a square shape and if needs be stamp towards them looking them in the eye backed up with a growl or I find even better a good hiss.

She should catch on very quickly that bad behavior is not nice and good behaviour gets praise and a pat.