Bitless Bridle - Headshaking

BorgRae

Visit site
Hi,

Ok so, my lad is a headshaker, he does it pretty much all year round so am going to try a bitless bridle to see if it makes a difference.

My question is, before forking out a lot of money on one to try, does it make a difference which "type" of bitless bridle?

I have no knowledge of bitless bridles, so am pretty much clueless :eek:

I've seen some that range from £20 to £120!! :eek:

Is there really that much difference in the style? Obviously quality will be different, but then you can buy £20 normal bridles that are ok!! :p

So, those of you with headshakers that use bitless bridles to ease the shake, what types do you have and how much were they?

Thanks all!!

... I'm on a diet so can offer a satsuma or apple if you got this far :D

ridefast

Visit site
I have a sidepull bitless bridle, it works the same way as a snaffle bridle except pressure is across the nose rather than in the mouth. I didn't get it specifically to stop head shaking as mine only did it a little, but have noticed that since riding in it she's stopped headshaking anyway. It was about£50 on ebay

Dumbo

Visit site
My sidepull stopped my horse head shaking.
The sidepull is basically a headcollar. Works purely by nose pressure. Reins are attached either side of the nose. It's the mildest and in my opinion the best!
The dr cook crossover (or many other similar style) is quite popular but also known for not releasing quickly. It works by nose and poll pressure and uses a 'head hugging' effect.
The scrawbrig is another very mild one. The reins are attached under the chin so steering isn't fab initially but as with all the bitless bridles you need to ride much more with your body.
The hackamore (and there's many different types) are more severe as they have shanks.
Send me a pm if you want more info or have a look at www.bitlessandbarefoot.com
This is my horse in his sidepull - he's so much more relaxed and responsive than he ever was with a bit in his mouth!
- See more at: http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/L...age_zps71c25d6a.jpg.html#sthash.kILOkPvP.dpuf

BorgRae

Visit site
He looks really comfy in that sidepull one. Was he quite a bad headshaker?

I'll have a look on ebay for one.

I've seen loads of the cross over ones quite cheap on ebay, would you avoid them them and just go for a side pull for a headshaker?

Thanks for your replies!!! :D xx

windand rain

Visit site
Dont know about the bidle but have you tried giving him a small feed with a handful of table salt in it. There is a fair bit of evidence that headshakers are salt deficient. May not help but it is a cheap option if it does
Horses are not good at taking in salt from a salt lick hence adding it to a small feed

NagsEquestrian

Visit site
Best way to choose a bitless is to find out which pressures your horses likes/dislikes. A headcollar and a pair of reins can simulate 3 types of bitless (sidepull, scawbrig and crosspull) and is a good starting point. :)

BorgRae

Visit site
Hmm, no I haven't tried adding salt, I'll have a go... Don't suppose there are any salt filled 'treats' out there?? He won't eat a hard feed in summer... I've been trying to force feed him his magnesium recently, but he's having none of it! Lol! Just not interested in his dinner when he can have yummy grass!! And I don't want to feed him too much as he's a bit of a fatty!!

...I'll have to see if there are any clips on good old you tube on how to test this with my head collar!! Sounds like a good place to start tho! Thank you :) xx

NagsEquestrian

Visit site
Easy to do the headcollar test. :)

1. Sidepull - Attach reins to nose rings of well fitting headcollar.

2. Scawbrig - Push reins through nose rings on well fitting headcollar and attach under the jaw.

3. Crosspull - Push reins through rings on well fitting headcollar, cross under the jaw and attach to head rings on headcollar.

nagseastsussex

Visit site
We had a welsh section c who was a cronic headshaker or so we were told but it was actually a reaction to his bit. He only did it when he was in a fixed bit rather than a loose ring. It was the pole pressure that he couldnt stand. As soon as I changed his bit he stopped.

Clava

Visit site
Hmm, no I haven't tried adding salt, I'll have a go... Don't suppose there are any salt filled 'treats' out there?? He won't eat a hard feed in summer... I've been trying to force feed him his magnesium recently, but he's having none of it! Lol! Just not interested in his dinner when he can have yummy grass!! And I don't want to feed him too much as he's a bit of a fatty!!

...I'll have to see if there are any clips on good old you tube on how to test this with my head collar!! Sounds like a good place to start tho! Thank you :) xx

Feeding salt and reducing grass has stopped my headshaker http://ihdg.proboards.com/thread/126659/reggies-headshaking-salt-miracle-cure?page=7

(the yummy grass may be the problem)

Not having her headshaking after doing it every summer for 3 years is just amazing.

diamonddogs

Visit site
I've got one of these.

It's not the best quality you can buy, but it's certainly nice quality leather, and you can use it as a sidepull or a cross pull.

It disappeared for a few months, and I found it under a feed bin where it must have fallen off the bridle rack. It was all scrundled up and covered in mould, but a good clean and it came up like new, so it can't be all that bad quality!

BorgRae

Visit site
Easy to do the headcollar test. :)

1. Sidepull - Attach reins to nose rings of well fitting headcollar.

2. Scawbrig - Push reins through nose rings on well fitting headcollar and attach under the jaw.

3. Crosspull - Push reins through rings on well fitting headcollar, cross under the jaw and attach to head rings on headcollar.

Brill!! Thank you, I'll give this a go :D

We had a welsh section c who was a cronic headshaker or so we were told but it was actually a reaction to his bit. He only did it when he was in a fixed bit rather than a loose ring. It was the pole pressure that he couldnt stand. As soon as I changed his bit he stopped.

I've had him in loads of different bits. He's been in fixed bits and loose rings, single and double jointed, french link, lozenge and is now in a mullen mouth.

He does prefer the loose ring with a mullen mouth, and prefers a very thin bit. But we've tried all sorts. Just thought I'd try a bitless to see if it makes a difference.

Feeding salt and reducing grass has stopped my headshaker http://ihdg.proboards.com/thread/126659/reggies-headshaking-salt-miracle-cure?page=7

(the yummy grass may be the problem)

Not having her headshaking after doing it every summer for 3 years is just amazing.

You may be right, but he does it all year round, even in winter (where at the last yard we were at there was no winter grazing). He's done it since we bought him, and we've had him 2 years now. He does it schooling and hacking, rain or shine.

He's an odd ball really. He doesn't head shake in the field at all, and if I give him a really loose reign (as in buckle end) he does it to begin with, but then stops. I ride with very soft hands, no pulling or jiggling, but as soon as I take up a contact, he starts messing and throwing his head up and down.

I changed his brow band tonight to one of the 'rope' ones to see if that would make any difference, and he faffed for the first 20 mins, then went really well?! There was the odd shake here and there, but not much?!

I'm beginning to wonder if in fact this is true head shaking or if this is an evasion technique :rolleyes:

I've got one of these.

It's not the best quality you can buy, but it's certainly nice quality leather, and you can use it as a sidepull or a cross pull.

It disappeared for a few months, and I found it under a feed bin where it must have fallen off the bridle rack. It was all scrundled up and covered in mould, but a good clean and it came up like new, so it can't be all that bad quality!

This looks like a good one to try! Thank you :D