Bitless Bridles

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
Our new chap came in a bitless bridle (the dr cook one), he seems happy enough but seems to carry his head reasonable high in it....because he can!

Tried him in a bit the other day and he went beautifully, with mild lapses in concentration and stuffiness!!

We dont know much of his history, he does have a few headshake issues in the summer, but other than that, old owner just said he was happier in a bitless. I can get a nice outline but as this bridle is all nose pressure I dont want to hurt his nose!

Took him down the common the other day, he cantered and pulled up very easily, whereas in a bridle I think he would battle a bit.

Does anyone else use Dr Cook bridle and what are your thoughts?

Sorry if its been done before!

http://www.bitlessbridle.co.uk/

It is the version shown on this site on the front page

Skhosu

Visit site
Yes, I use the Libbys version and find it good, although still adjusting to steering. Don't know if you can use martingales with them?
I don't worry abou tmy ponys high head carriage, and can get him to go in an outline much the same as a bit.
In fact, I find him much the same as in a bit!

dwi

Visit site
I have one and love it, gives me much better breaks and stops her sticking her head up so high because she knows that she can't evade it in the same way she can a bit.

I used it to establish breaks in a gentle way when I first got her and I'm now going back into a bit because she seems better with this for lateral work but I certainly think it can be a useful part of your tack collection.

Weezy

Visit site
OK so in the opinion of those who use one do you think it may be of benefit to a horse that is 1) forward going out hacking but as light as a feather in the school and 2) when you even touch the contact in canter out hacking he leaps like a stag

Skhosu

Visit site
1) possibly. But I suspect they might try to tank if they thought they could.
2) yes, I would say so as I get less of a 'reaction' if you know wha tI mean? Not dead or anything, but just less 'oh what's that'? Hard to explain

jinglejoys

Visit site
cid_001e01c702cbb9e4e1707a1a8351you.jpg

Yes I Drive Blue in a bitless (Mines a "spirit) and she's so much better.I don't have to worry about her putting her tongue over the bit either( which seems to be a terrible crime)'cos there ain't one
grin.gif
wink.gif

Gwenneh

www.insanedressagegirl.com
It worked on my little Arab mare for me, but she'd go fine in a halter and lead rope most days. I inherited it from a woman at my barn who had a forward-going paint that discovered he could suddenly take the piss with her and decided one day to take off with her, and there wasn't anything she could do about it. To be fair, both woman and paint were green, but I think it depends largely on the horse and whether or not they're likely to try it on with you, so to speak...

flyingfeet

Visit site
Only my opinion - but I didn't get on with the Dr Cook style cross under bitless bridle.

Agree they are great for schooling or messing about in, however for fast work the brakes are not sufficient for my horses. My hano mare ended up with deep grooves in the back of her head / cheeks from this bridle. However she does try and p*ss off in a normal bridle, so not a good candidate for a mild bitless bridle.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
tricky one really, I noticed after schooling him yesterday (albeit we are going from scratch as he has been a plod for years and also has numurous lumps n bumps lol) that where the noseband is either the hair was all fluffed up or it looked a tiny bit swollen.....I wasnt to hard on him, but what i dont want to do is have to work him harsher in a bitless when from trying him with a bit it was easier on him in a way....does that make sense!

Not sure what issues he had but he did stand up the first time we tried to put a bit in his mouth, second time he was fine?!

Chex

Visit site
I tried a cheaper version of the Dr cooks, but it didn't really work for my pony. He carried his head lower and seemed more relaxed, but I just had no brakes. He started pulling his head down really hard mid canter when I tried to pull him up, so I went back to my myler comfort snaffel. I still use the bitless for long-reining, but I do find it messes up the hair on the nose too, like its pulling up the way or something.