bitless bridles

kcgibson

Visit site
Hi, i need some advice on bitless bridles. Im thinking of trying my horse in a crossover (crossunder) bridle (Cook). Has anyone had good/bad experiences with them. Read an article today in the Veterinary Times (a mag that gets sent to vet practices) about how much damge bits inflict on horse's mouths and how painful they can be (obviously this depends on the riders hands but as the article stated even a rider with the most gentle hands can only have got them through practice). It just made me feel really awful about the way we communicate, through the bit, with our horses. It also showed pictures of 2 horse skulls, one with a healthy mandible and the other was a horse that had worn a bit. There was loads of damage to the bone and teeth of the horse that had worn a bit and it made me question the use of a bit. Has anyone else read the article or have access to reading it?
I just want to know what you all think about this bitless bridle. Thanks!!!

hussar

Visit site
I read what sounds like a very similar article today in Scottish and Northern Equestrian magazine, complete with illustrations etc. I must admit I'm quite interested in the concept of going bitless provided the brakes still work, and am about to try an English hackamore on my horse. I too would be interested to know if anyone has tried the Dr Cook.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
our new one came with one and apparently hated bits. However, having tried him in a mild bit he is much better. I had no control of his head carriage whatsoever in a bitless, and I found the pressure on his nose irritated him.

However, for some horses they appear to work wonders.....it just didnt work for me. As for damage, our poor chap had slight pressure mark on his nose everytime we used it, as to get him to stop we needed more pressure with bitless than with a bit...

There are lots of case histories on the bitless bridle site that appear to be genuine, it may be worth reading them?

Depends a lot on your horse and its nature.

flyingfeet

Visit site
The cook bridle didn't work on our tank of a mare.

Reasonable steering, but the brakes definitely did not work. End result was deep grooves in her cheeks!! They are fine in the school, but I wouldn't recommend them for fast use or hacking!

Chex

Visit site
I found that too. I didn't have a Dr cooks though, had the IV horse (much cheaper but similar design). It was great for the first few times, but he just started to ignore me, and yanking his head down every few minutes, and I had no brakes at all. I think it would work on horses that are not strong, but wouldn't recomend it for a strong horse that doesn't really listen to a bit (like mine). I like the concept though.

dwi

Visit site
I have a Dr Cookes and I find that I have much better brakes than I do bitted because she can't evade the pressure.

I really like mine, especially for fast work and hacking but then it depends on your horse. I would say buy a cheap/second hand one and see what you think. there have been posts on this loads of times and they don't seem to work for everyone but its an avenue worth looking into

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
I have tried the Libbys Scrawbrig (SP?) one which I still sometimes use. But I got the stage that horse was pre-empting it and ignoring it and so still having a bridle and bit (no noseband) on him as a back up incase I lost him totally and needed to check him back. Still use the combination for long hacks just to give his mouth a rest.

Like everyone has said depends on the horse

x

Petalpoos

Visit site
I have also been worried for some time about what effect bits have on horses' mouths and don't like the thought of inflicting pain as a means of control. I have been using the Dr Cook's on my Trakehner mare since I had her with very good results. She is rising 5 now and was well schooled (with a bit) when I bought her last year, so I don't know about using it on a confirmed puller or whatever, but I have never had any problems stopping, even when she bolted with me one time. Have a look on the Dr Cook's site as there are loads of reviews. You can try the bridle on a sale or return basis, so why not try that?