Bitless insurance

Tinypony

Visit site
For those who ride without metal in the mouth - where do you get public liability insurance and have you made sure you are covered?

Vickijay

Visit site
I spoke to my insurance company about this recently as I often ride and lead on the road and asked about the lead horse being bitted. They said it worked in an individual case by case way, rather than a "you can't do this or that" way as it would be impossible to write a list of can/can't do things

claribella

Visit site
Fedelius do it:) Other than that Id ring your insurancve company and ask:) Make sure you get it in writing if they say its ok just incase

Tinypony

Visit site
Unfortunately Fidelius don't do it at the moment, they used to under the Horse Agility Club membership, but that's stopped. I've been having an email chat with Steve Barratt and they will re-start it again if they have a few more people confirm interest. I'm on the list and hoping it happens soon.
I have been insured as part of my regular equine insurance in the past both with SEI and NFU. I wrote to them explaining that my horses were trained to be ridden without a bit and they sent letters confirming that I was covered. This was some years back though, and feedback from friends indicates that they can't find any companies prepared to do this now. The problem is, as we know even from this forum, there are a lot of people who think riding on the road without a bit is illegal (it definitely isn't) so personally I want to know specifically that I'm covered. You never know what loopholes might get picked on in a court case, and judges can be persuaded by argument.
I only want public liability insurance these days, I self-insure the rest. I spoke to BHS who were very cagey and wouldn't commit to anything in writing.
So fingers crossed that Fidelius can start theirs again before I need to renew in a couple of weeks time! That's why I'm asking here, I'm hoping someone has another idea.
Ridiculous really. There are so many bitless options that are accepted as normal and safe in other countries. Sometimes it feels a bit narrow minded in the UK.

Last edited:

Brightbay

Visit site
I was really disappointed when the HA people announced they'd discontinued it - it's not just the bitless, but I lead out in a headcollar, and I sometimes ride with a Christ fursaddle, so it was perfect :( I didn't know Steve was compiling a list - I have already emailed him about insurance for field sharers, i will ask him to add me to his list of interested parties for bitless riding insurance :)

Tinypony

Visit site
I don't know Mrs Mozart. I ride in a rope halter, but also in a bosal, which to me is a recognised version of a bridle. However, a lot of people have no idea what it is, or how effective it can be. So I'm not taking chances. I want my insurer to be prepared to confirm that they have me covered, no if's or but's.
Brightbay, Steve emailed me yesterday and said he nearly has enough people interested to go ahead, so definitely ask to be added to the list!

Tinypony

Visit site
I've been talking to a friend about a possible idea for another club to take this idea on as HA have stopped. I don't know about anyone else, I don't care what club I have to join, as long as it's not too expensive, the more people who have this insurance the more likely it is to continue. Will report back on this thread if there are any developments.

Tinypony

Visit site
I'm not sure they are, I think that page was up before I emailed him. Worth asking though. I've taken out a different insurance for the coming year because mine expired and I'm off to the Ashdown Forest next week. I'll definitely be back to them next year if they're doing it though.
I decided I'd ride out in things that look like bridles for a year! Blooming nuisance.