Bitless options - talk to me

Queenbee

Visit site
After some basic bitless schooling earlier this year with the beast, I have decided to take the bit out of his mouth on a more permanent basis.

Our trial earlier this year was in a simple micklem set up. We stayed in walk and trot, he was good, pretty responsive, calmer in his head, but I know I would rather something a bit more appropriate/suited to bitless. Ideally I will be looking for something I can use for standard work (Schooling and hacking) and then add a bit more in the brakes department for jumping, as despite being responsive to voice he can be strong and I would like a 'stronger option there if only as a failsafe.

I am willing to consider bitless bridles, and/or hackemore bits, anything really that does not go in the mouth.

This is not a case of an unschooled horse, or a horse needing a dentist before anyone goes down that route. He had issues in his mouth as a youngster - caused by a vet and despite treatment, massage therapy and physio to re balance him, and over 8 weeks with a professional, ongoing schooling and various bits purchased to ensure he is as comfortable as possible, I am convinced that using a bit with him is not the best thing for him, or for riding him! Its such a shame as he was a dream in the mouth when backed, so soft and responsive... but since this issue in his mouth, nothing has been the same despite trying everything possible :(

Beausmate

Visit site
Orbitless. Bought one for my old duffer, as he is unable to comfortably wear a bit these days. Lots of different settings, well made and very light (although the rein clips are heavy, depending on what you use) and old duffer goes so well in it, I wish I'd bought one ages ago. Much better than the English hackamore I was using.

The only downside, is the rein clips I am using have swivels and it can twist the rein around. Not a big problem, but it just irritates me a bit!

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I had to go bitless, tried them all. Shy did really well in an english hackamore (with half chain). Once we moved out here to france, I had to swap to a German hackamore, and its amazing. Great steering, hardly need to touch it, but have control when I need it. Shy is a big, very strong, full of shies cob !

It's all in the hands.Go as gentle as you are definitely safe in. Ill try adding a photo to my album.

In windy conditions, z western sidepull is the alternative.

BBP

Visit site
It doesn’t look as traditional but i use a rope sidepull. It is incredibly light on the head and you can give very subtle cues for more refined schooling. I use a big thick gel pad under the noseband as the small surface area of the rope can be too harsh for him without it but if you had a stronger less sensitive horse you could go without the gel when you need more breaks. I switch to a leather sidepull if I want to look ‘normal’ but he seems to prefer the rope with gel pad.

For my sisters stronger horses she has an orbitless which is ok but they seem to bear down into the bridle when they get strong. We also use clip reins and somehow the orbitless has rotated them and unclipped them from the bridle on a number of occasions! She currently compromises by hacking in a bit and schooling bitless in a light rider until they are more responsive to it. The rope bridles lifted up on their heads for some reason, perhaps due to their headsets?

GirlFriday

Visit site
Sidepulls (usually gentlest option - perhaps for your 'normal' riding) are also available in a more traditional leather (or synthetic if you like more colour choice/don't like tack cleaning/happen to do endurance) -work type styles.

If you start with one of those you can work out what you need more of and go 'upwards' in the right direction when necessary.

ETA: nothing wrong the rope options but as the poster above mentions they can be a little harsher because thinner if used without padding etc

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My gelding has a 'little S' hackamore.

ETA photo.
p-1005-124350web.jpg

Queenbee

Visit site
Thank you everyone! Really useful info.

I like the sidepull option for everyday, I currently have the micklem as a sidepull which seems to work nicely although I do confess to wanting to be a bit lazy on tack cleaning especially in winter, so I may invest in something I can just bung in the wash - I know I used to get on quite well with Ebony in a scawbrig bitless by Libby's so may get one of those.

My YO has a traditional english hackamore which I may try once we are back and fit, but I do like the look of the orbitless - I see that I can hire these to trial too which would be useful, although as much as he can be strong I am cautious about what I use to start as a) I have NO core strength after 12 months off and would be worried that until I strengthen myself up I may inadvertently be too harsh in the hands - and I won't risk that, besides - he needs to build up too so we won't be doing any jumping any time soon other than perhaps popping a tiny x pole as a treat at the end of a schooling session.

Really useful suggestions thank you :)

Snowfilly

Visit site
Our old Arab went lovely in a Libby's scrawbrig for hacking and jumping. He had an English hackamore for highly exciting things like galloping hacks with friends and fun rides. The scrawbrig was light enough that we could get plenty of subtle rein aids and shortening strides for jumping but still offered some brakes.

His daughter really doesn't like the scrawbrig nor side pull but goes sweetly in an English hackamore for everything - strange mare!

BBP

Visit site
I put this in another thread but this is my pony schooling in his rope sidepull. He is absolutely gorgeous to ride in it as half halts etc are just as effective in it, which I know is the concern with some bitless bridles, that they can dull some of the subtle cues. I don’t find that with this bridle, although my horse is very sensitive and responsive.
25550183_10159632884215431_6315105709030880407_n.jpg

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
It really is trial and error, same as with bits. Shy HATED any bit I tried. Ended up donating about 20 to the Egypt bit appeal. Went fab in the English hackamore for years. Let us know how you get on.

cobsarefab

Visit site
Cobbus has been ridden in a sidepull (she hated it.) rope halter (she went fine in it and responded good to everything but lacking in brakes.) normal bridle with cheek pieces attatched to noseband (she loved it but there were no brakes.) English hackamore (had full control of brakes and steering and she liked it.) I'll ride her in the last three in the future as her brakes just need work but I feel I have the most control in a hackamore out of any of the options at the moment so that's what she's being schooled in at the moment both in hand and ridden.

dollyanna

Visit site
I had an orbitless but neither of us liked it, it twisted a lot and felt clumsy. I now have a Transcend which is beautiful and quite adaptable - it's like the double bridle of the bitless world but works very differently, and my pony loves it. There are different ways to use it and unlike a bit you can just use a bottom rein - my pony much prefers the bottom rein so I ride with double and mostly use the bottom, it isn't like any other curb as the pressure is limited, in fact it doesn't actually use pressure.
You can do a trial for a small fee, but they are beautifully made and it never twists or moves even when using the sidepull option quite strongly (which happens sometimes with a young pony still developing steering!)