Bits and TBs (ex racers)

C&C

Visit site
What bit and noseband do you use on your TB?

I am currently using a hanging cheek french link which he seems to go well in, i have a flash on him but think i may need to change to a grackle as he crosses his jaw and leans in canter very bad! My cousin (who is a jockey) said that a grackle will make a huge difference and she said to try a full cheek bit rather than the hanging cheek.

What do you use and why? :)

Clava

Visit site
French link loose ring with a drop noseband, why? - because she is happy in this combination from schooling to galloping.

.Redmerl

Visit site
He came in myler with hooks, far too strong. To stop him curling up, plain caverson nose band and KK loose ring snaffle. He will happily take a contact. Myler for hacking

Horseback Rider

Visit site
Plain old snaffle & flash.... have tried others but this combination seems to work best and I hope to be able to get rid of the flash in time but not before my first ODE next weekend !!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Myler comfort snaffle and no noseband most of the time but I put a drop on for cross country and hunting.

The Myler because I wanted something very thin but shaped as he has a very small mouth and big tongue.
He rubs his nose in a noseband so I left it off when I don't need it.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
french link gold snaffle and grackle, had him in a flash first of all but didn't really like to and another lady had her tb in a grackle up the yard and said some of them find it easier and he really likes it. But it hasn't got the rings on the side its all leather as they can rub.
xx

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
one in a wilkie and a drop most of the time - french link pelham for showing with a cavesson and the other is in a french link snaffle and no noseband as she is a mentalist and fights any sort of restriction unless bizarrely she is competing or off her land as such - bigger things to think about then I believe :)

A1fie

Visit site
I have a loose ring cherry roller which he seems to like. He can play with it and it helps stop him leaning as he can get quite heavy on the forehand, but it's not as harsh as a waterford. I use a plain noseband, not a grackle and no flash.

Stacey6897

Visit site
Glad you posted this, I'm wondering about what to use for my ex racers bit

I took my HHOers advice and laid her off for a few months, thinking about starting riding but not sure what bit to use

Planning to try a hollow mouth snaffle, still can't get the bridle on without dismantling it and a browband is an absolute no no, so not going to use a noseband

I'll long rein her for a while before I'm brave enough to start trying to get on

Dizzle

Visit site
Cavesson and a Myler 02 low port snaffle, I tried him in the hanging cheek version of this and he HATED it, far far too strong for him and he just leaped and jogged, I couldn't open gates out hacking as he'd get so wound up when I asked him to rein back.

Have tired him with a flash and without, in a KK French link, bog standard French link, fixed cheek, full cheek, loose ring...

Next step I'm going to try a happy mouth, I did buy a bog standard rubber snaffle but was told that it would be too thick for his mouth, so it's sat unused on my desk!

helencharlie

Visit site
I use a hanging half cheek snaffle and a very loose nose band, could almost go without a noseband. Have used a loose ring snaffle in the past, but he goes better in the hanging half cheek.

GypsyGirl

Visit site
mine is in a rubber mullen mouth, she was in this bit but i thought that it was too thick for her mouth, she then went into a full cheek loose ring snaffle but she didnt like the joint in the middle so shes now back in her mullen mouth very soft and controllable in it and shes a happy horsey!

Ginger Bear

Visit site
Both in plain snaffled with nose band. My gelding came in a Pelham.. Far too strong for him, I can gallop him and everything in a snaffle so not sure why he came in a Pelham!

Ladydragon

Visit site
What bit and noseband do you use on your TB?
<snip>
What do you use and why? :)

A snaffle with the link in the middle (french link?) with a flash noseband...

Why? Because when I got him his previous owner (who got him at just over 3yrs old from the training yard) had ridden him in a grackle, the lowest ring of a gag and a martingale... He was only just 4 when I got him and I didn't want to have a baby tied down so much if it wasn't necessary...

Had to put the flash on as he'll pretty much try and lick everything in sight or use his tongue to get hold of his bridle as he has a bit of a leather chewing fetish... :eek:

kirstyl

Visit site
Mine is in a Neue Schule Team Up and cavesson and has been since I started retraining him 18 months ago. He seems very happy with the NS bit and is working well and doesn't open his mouth, bless him so no need for a different noseband

Mlini

Visit site
Sprenger RS Dynamic Full Cheek - for steering & he likes the taste! :D
Cavesson in arena but can go without, flash out hacking.

Nocturnal

Visit site
Started off in a NS team up bit; once he was happy taking the contact forwards i switched to a KK ultra and cavesson noseband. Haven't found anything he goes better in.

Belperdeb

Visit site
Happy mouth mullen and flash. She doesn't like any sort of link. I've tried alsorts and this combination seems to work. I school her jump and hack out no problems with brakes.

Nikademus

Visit site
Mine came ina loose ring french link and he avoided contact at all costs.:mad:

Swapped to a straightbar eggbutt happy mouth for 1st year.

Now working Novice BD/ eventing in a Neule Schule and always with a cavesson noseband.:D