Bits for strong horse

SkyTitch1

Visit site
Hi,
I currently have an intermediate event horse who is quite keen when jumping. He is normally jumped in a snaffle but is much more keener now back in proper work and some times he is fine with a snaffle and others he pulls me down and is quite heavy (ie when he sees xc jumps) I was wondering if anyone could recommend a bit? Obviously he's used to a snaffle so nothing too strong but I just don't have enough control in a snaffle. His old owners have said to try a nathe Pelham? Are these better with a straight bar than jointed? Thank you

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I lent an eventing acquaintance my PeeWee bit for her strong, unsteerable XC horse, who was fine in the other phases. The PeeWee acts as a mullen-mouthed snaffle but has side-pieces to aid steering and can be fitted with a curb strap. I recommend reading the web-site about it.

MyDappledConnemara

Visit site
Perhaps have a go with a Kimblewick if he pulls his head down, but because they are straight barred this might give him an incentive to lean. A Dutch gag is also one I've tried, it really helps to maintain control.