bits

SAL71

Visit site
I am at a loss as to what bit to try on my mare. She is currently in a hanging baucher as i was told this may give her some brakes! She can be quite strong and my 14 year old daughter also rides her. I wanted to put her in something not too severe but she has started pulling away and bolted a couple of times with my daughter. Had her checked over and her other tack, all ok. Please can anyone give me some advice.
cool.gif

fjudge

Visit site
Hmmm..sounds like it may be someting else, rather than bit problems? But you have had her checked over so thats all you can do!

Have you tried a waterford?? Its not overly strong, But they cant really get hold of it.

Pellhum? Double bridle? Gag? Sorry! Im useless really aren't I !!!
frown.gif

SAL71

Visit site
i have tried the snaffle version and now she is in the hanging cheek version. She still seems to pull away in these. It may have to be a gag that i try. Thanks for your thoughts.
laugh.gif

KatB

Visit site
I would get back/saddle/teeth checked first. What causes her to b****r off? Is it just excitement, or is it caused by anything in particular. Does she lean/put head down/up?

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
If gag doesn't work, then maybe a kimblewick. Some horses (mine included) respond better to a curb, than they do poll action. My mares ridden in a kk ultra normally and then a lozened (double jointed) pelham (with two reins) when I need more brakes on sponsored ride etc..

SAL71

Visit site
She has been checked over, everything seems fine. She pulls away in trot and then thinks what the hell i'm off. my daughter especially has trouble stopping her. Other than the odd bit off excitement nothing seems to get to her. She is a 15' 3 skewbald mare, not too heavy , but has plenty of power. She gets schooled regularly and when i hack her out i make sure she is schooled
laugh.gif

SAL71

Visit site
Mine is a skewbald mare! I think i will try a gag and see what happens. If not i will try a curb. I think it is going to be trial and error and see what works best. I want my daughter to at least gain a bit of control.