Bits.......

{97702}

Visit site
Little TB ex-racing pony is getting calmer again (now he is on calmer!) and I am in a position where he is co-operating a lot more when I school him. I do find that he is inconsistent in the contact - a standard tense/rushing horse reaction where if I give him a loose rein he jogs and if I tell him 'no' through squeeze and release he leans on the bit! At the moment he is in a universal bit on the snaffle setting with a lozenge (the Jeffries one) - any thoughts on other bits I could try? I know I don't have the best hands so find it hard to maintain a consistent contact with inconsistent horses which of course doesn't help!

Tory27

Visit site
Perhaps you could try a Waterford snaffle? Very soft when no or little contact then with contact the bit strengthens and becomes hard, horse so the horse rerelease its tension. Bare in mind though in the wrong hands these bits can be ghastly, so enure you've always got a soft contact. Never pull sharply or see-saw! I've used one on my head strong mare - used properly they work well.