Bits

HorseMad91

Visit site
Heya everyone I'm looking for suggestions for a bit for my 6 year old he's only just been backed and currently in Dr bristol snaffle but he's constantly chewing on it and now he's starting to be ridden he doesn't seem comfortable with it, I don't know if a bit with a lozenge would help but not sure what one. I've looked at a myler comfort snaffle but a lot of people have said their quite harsh and have caused bruising to the horses mouth.
Any suggestions please :)

kamili

Visit site
I would think that the Dr. Bristol isn't suited as it is used to put sharp pressure on the tongue, any particular reason why this is being used? Is it a french link rather than a Dr. Bristol? does the middle section lie flat on the tongue or is it angled perpendicular to the tongue?

Have you tried him in a french link which does lie flat.
What about one of the Neue Shule bits? You can try them first before you buy from the bit bank.

Last edited:

HorseMad91

Visit site
It looks just like a normal snaffle just with the big D cheek piece I was just told it's a type of Dr bristol but it's one of the only bits he's excepted in his mouth (had previous teeth problems). I really like the NS bits just not sure which one would be best, I did look a the NS starter bit but I'm not a fan of loose rings

Merlod

Visit site
That's quite a harsh choice to start a horse in? I would change to a french link or lozenge.. I am a neue schule fan and would go with the starter or team up bit for a younger horse. You can pick up cheaper versions from jeffries or cotswoldsport.

kamili

Visit site
Is it actually a Dr. Bristol though, some older horsey folk lump french links in under that label when they aren't at all.
I have to agree the Dr. Bristol bits are very harsh, I'd be questioning why it was used to start him if it is one.

I'd also get his teeth checked and speak to your dentist, see if they can suggest a bit that might work based on the shape of his mouth.

HorseMad91

Visit site
I'm not sure looking on bit bank it's not just a type of D ring snaffle, it's what I was advised to put him in by a close friend until he was backed then I could see if I wanted to change once I was riding him. I think he would prefer a lozenge as he likes to play with his bit so much. I have tried a rubber bit when he was first bitted but he hated it. He's update with his teeth as he had some problems when he was younger

kamili

Visit site
I have mine in a lozenge and its well loved, mouths up nicely and seems to prefer it over a french link. Maybe see if someone could loan you one in the appropriate size to try?