Bitting Advice for the Devil-in-a-horsesuit

Ferdinase514

Visit site
He's tanking in to jumps again. Not so hideous SJ but lethal XC.

Currently in a waterford snaffle but he snatches it and goes and is impossible to get back, so am considering moving up to a Pelham (with roundings - no way I can manage 2 reins XC!).

Have nil experience of Pelhams, any advice or other suggestions?

Possibly also any ideas along the lines of Myler bits, as also know nothing about these.

He's very well schooled and goes fine in FL snaffle on the flat.

Many thanks!

Madam_max

Visit site
I would be interested too!!! My mare is exactly the same at the mo. She has been really good in her Waterford for years but now its like having nothing. Again, she is really good in a snaffle for flatwork and slow hacking.

vic07

Visit site
straight bar stainless steel or mullen mouth. looked round second hand bins and found them for about £6 each.

vic07

Visit site
mylers didn't work - ended up with no steering or brakes the second time I used it. Wouldn't bother using it again.

I have a pelham with tight curb chain and a grakle noseband. works were alot failed! the curb action can stop snatching. i also use roundings. experienced event riders suggested this combo to me!

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Moving from a Waterford to a Pelham is a massive leap. There are loads of alternatives inbetween. It may be good to contact the experts at sorting out these problems with bits.
http://www.gillsbitbank.co.uk/home.htm
Good Luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Bought a Myler Pelham bit from Gillsbitbank @ Blenheim on saturday. Jessie was being jumped in a vulcanite straight bar pelham with a curb chain and roundings.

To say Myler bits don't work is a bit misleading as there are many different bit styles and combinations in the Myler range.

The jury is still out on it as they need to work for a couple of weeks together to get a idea, but my AlexandJess managed a win on sunday at a local show and did say that it seemed to offer a bit of improvement on the brakes as she gets very fired up in the jumping and just wants to go .

she was set on getting an american gag, but I wanted to give the myler a try as the american gag is really the limit. THe myler bit was £78 so if it doesn't, its definately going back.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I have to say I'm REALLY REALLY trying to avoid overbitting him. The last thing I want is to end up bouncing sideways in to the jumps or having stops.

I really do need more brakes for XC though as at the mo I have no control at all. Just need to be able to bring him back a bit and stop him from snatching and taking off as once he does I can't get him back at all.

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
I must have spent at least 1/2 hour grilling the lady @ Gillsbitbank before I jumped in and put my money down.

I'll attempt to to explain what she said.

She explained that the myler pelham works in a different way to a flat bar vulcanite pelham (which is her standard bit) which squashes the tongue across its width, or a pelham with a link which has a nutcracker effect and can pinch the tongue.

When spending nearly £80 for a bit, I would expect to see an intelligent approach to the problem, and she explained how the myler differred.
The dog-leg stepped linkage in the middle of the myler bits allow the tongue to move up into it for comfort, the side bars of the bit which the bridle and the reins attach (not sure of the name) move independantly from one side of the bit to the other through this stepped linkage. The dog-leg in the bit gives an increasing amount of leverage on one side of the mouth and up through the pole on the one side of the head, and also when asking the horse to slow down the dog legs action of the bit when it rotates under pressire from the rein will give increasing pressure across both sides. They claim that its design makes it a kind bit whilst also giving very focussed signals when asking for turns and stops - apparently.

I also put the question here before and of loads of flat work to sort it was the answer which came back, and for this she already does everything asked of her 100% when being schooled, but when jumping off in competition gets very excited and will tank off (I've seen her rear once when she was held back waiting for the bell).

I give her the credit in her intelligence that she knows when she is in a jump off as she has been SJing for a fair while and just wants to get on with it.

As I said the jury is still out on the myler but I am really not keen to see an american gag used as the alternative as IMO this is just brute force.

Fiona

Visit site
Have come onto this a bit late but hope my experiences are still helpful...
I have a welsh cob who hunts/XC/SJ stc. He is not strong at all except out hunting, and I have tried the following bits:
1. rubber cheltenham gag - worked when he was younger, but has absolutely no effect now
2. american gag - believe me this was tried as a last resort, and again I might as well have been wearing a snaffle
3. mullen mouth pelham with roundings - he is still strong but this is def the best bit of the three.
My genuine suggestion (if not too late) is to try an ordinary pelham first (£12.78 in new ride away catalogue), and if the brakes are improved, but perhaps you think he is not quite as happy with the mouthpiece as he should be, then try a bit which costs five times as much ie the myler. I am not a cheapskate when it comes to my horses, but begrudge spending money on gimmicks unless they are proven first.
ie I wanted a lozenge loose ring snaffle for my other horse, bought a cottage craft one at £15 first, and she goes very well in this, but now I know she likes it I will buy a more expensive sprenger as soon as her present bit shows signs of wear etc.
Hope you get you problem sorted soon.

Fiona

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
I don't believe that throwing money at a problem will solve it, but I forgot to mention that I got an ordinary Korsteel pelham (with a link in it at the begining of july and she was jumped for a month of weekends in it. Very little in the way of brakes and steering and she got more and more resistant as time went on. I would say it was a disaster by any standard, and we put her back in the vulcanite pelham. Before getting the vulcanite pelham 2-3 years ago, she was ridden in a dutch gag with the reins on all positions inc the main ring (like a snaffle) and it wasn't enough for her rider - she ignored it as soon as she was kicked on.

The myler bit is on a 14 day trial (with a £10 handling charge) , and I've sourced an american gag with a happy mouth in a local shop if it doesn't work out.

I begrudge paying the money out as much as anyone else, but the pony is a very much loved pet and I only want to see just enough force used for the result (safety and control) and I don't want to see her mouth spoilt.