Bitting advice, Help

Frazer

Visit site
I am really confused about bitting now, I used to be good at it, but now there are so many. I need a bit that will keep her head in a good outline, but then which would give me the control if i needed it. I was thinking about a 3 ring gag instead of a 4 ring gag, and then just use it on the snaffle rein, and then add roundings when jumping, xc etc.. Would this be ok. Or there are others like shires wonder gag, tom thumb jumping bit etc.. etc.. What would you use? Is it ok to use roundings on the 3 ring gag, I knew you could on the 4 ring gag?
confused.gif

Wooleysmum

Visit site
Mine is in a bubble, gag thingie, 3 rings, on the snaffle one. have not tried him on the other rings yet. he was needing a bit more control. seems to work

Frazer

Visit site
She is either ridden in a jointed happy mouth snaffle, which she snatches the reins at and doesn't really like. Or she is ridden in a hanging cheek which doesn't work on her at all, and she also snatches and tosses her head with this one. I was thinking maybe a 3 ring bubble bit (1 ring below the snaffle rein) happy mouth but with a revolver joint in the centre. Does anyone know if you can use roundings on the 3 ring

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
It may be good to remember that head carriage comes from using the hink quarters and aids correctly not from the bit,
smile.gif
Have a look at what part of the body is stopping you have control, ie is he crossing his jaw, bracing his neck/poll, is the bit too wide/narrow at the moment, that sort of thing, then base the action of the bit on what you need. If you could let us know a bit more about what the problem is that may help us to help you further.
grin.gif

Best regards
Dawn

serena2005

Visit site
yes you can use roundings on a 3 ring dutch gag, but as eopippus said, head carrige should correctly come when the horse is working from behind.

If the horse is a snaffle mouth why not try a frence link it maybe the single joint which has the nut cracker effect that she doesnt like