bitting advice wanted

Iniquity

New User
Visit site
I'm looking for a bit that will give me more control and steering than my current lvl1 basic myler. Only problem is my horse is very fussy about what he likes in his mouth. He's a 16.2ish, 6yr-old IDxTB. I tried using my mum's myler, which is a lvl or so higher than his and he was a gobby pain. I'm taking this as I don't like it. When I first got him I was lent a KK correction bit as he didn't really like anything in his mouth let alone on his tongue. Then moved on to a happy mouth snaffle I had lying around, but he grinds his teeth when he feels stressed with a situation so puts holes in these.

All I really want is a little more brakes for jumping and a happy horse. Any suggestions....

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hakamore, if he's that fussy??

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

I thought the OP said they wanted more steering
tongue.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'd go back to a KK bit - and work on your flat work to get your brakes in order for jumping.

Hate Mylers..............

Patches

Visit site
I've just bought a Neue Schule bit for my mare. Heather, at Neue Schule can give you lots of advice over the phone and is more than happy to assist you fnd the correct bit for your horse.

Cheaper than a KK or a Myler too. I've had a Universal bit for faster work but am going to get the verbindend (think that's right) for schooling.

Here's the website.

http://www.neueschulebits.com/index.html

evsj

Visit site
ID x TBs often have limited space in their gobs for the bit because of the thicker, fleshy tongue typical of these horses. Might be worth bearing in mind when trying to bit him. NS do a curved mouthpeice french link with a smooth lozenge which worked well on mine. Myler worked even better tho.

Iniquity

New User
Visit site
Hey sorry for the length in my reply time our router fell over... I'm not that keen on trying a hackamore on him as I have never used one and neither has he. Strikes me as not a very sensible idea. Thanks for the other ideas though its definately food for thought.