Bitting Advice

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Okay due to C-19 i cannot get a fitter out to look at grubs mouth.

Thoughts:-
She has a small mouth
She has a very large tongue
She has very thick lips
I have taken her out of a gag and put her in a fulmer, fixed cheek with a french link today, i also put one of my others bridles on so there was no pressure on her ears at or over her forelock.
She went much much better, but the bit was hanging a little to low in the mouth at the link, it was fine at the sides we had 2 creases so i would not like to fit it any higher, but it was def too low in her mouth. Width wise again i would not like to go much smaller as she has huge lips.
any suggestions on what to try next ?
p.s. this is the first time today i have ever heard her chew on a bit.

Roxylola

Visit site
Maybe something with a shorter link like a lozenge. I'd have suggested a slightly smaller bit if its in the right place on the outside but if you'd rather not go smaller...
A lozenge is comp legal as well whereas a French link is not always.

paddi22

Visit site
I've one with a similar mouth and did a bitting clinic with her as I could never settle her in a bit. they put her in a Bombers Happy Tongue Eggbutt Universal and she loves it.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I like the horsemanship saddlery bits for my large fleshy tongued, low pallet connemara. They are a few mm thinner than standard bits so just gives her that little bit more room. I did have a lozenge but found it was just too bulky in her mouth so now have a single link so taking up minimal room. They're also curved so they rest on top of the tongue rather than sit across it if that makes sense. I'm not sure they do a fixed cheek option though, I have the hanging cheek option.

Pippity

Visit site
What's her palate like? Mine has a big tongue and thick lips, but a high, narrow palate, so has settled well in a single-jointed, curved snaffle.

What mouthpiece did the gag have?

Mildlander

Visit site
Mines very happy in the Sprenger Max Control with full cheek, has lozenge and locks so can't nut cracker - image below and is dressage legal
Had tried her previously in a lozenged hanging snaffle - she didn't like it!
1610451084633.png

shamrock2021

Visit site
I find this bit really good . I say it available in Uk shops .

Attachments

• 577D27C7-434D-490D-85F4-9DD945BF614A.png
    577D27C7-434D-490D-85F4-9DD945BF614A.png
    269.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 7075A614-55BC-4C02-A78F-C1FBB611B00B.png
    7075A614-55BC-4C02-A78F-C1FBB611B00B.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 17

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'd try a Bomber happy tongue if you can borrow one.
My current mare I've tried most things and she goes best in this. I have both a loose ring and an eggbutt Bomber snaffle, she goes marginally better in the loose ring as just a bit more movement with her huge tongue in a little fleshy mouth.

mini_b

Visit site
I'd try a Bomber happy tongue if you can borrow one.
My current mare I've tried most things and she goes best in this. I have both a loose ring and an eggbutt Bomber snaffle, she goes marginally better in the loose ring as just a bit more movement with her huge tongue in a little fleshy mouth.

can’t rate bomber happy tongue bits high enough.

Annagain

Visit site
Your description of her - in terms of mouth, general conformation and way of going sounds very much like Archie. He went best in a myler mullen mouth hanging cheek. It wasn't the logical choice as he leaned a lot but it was the only dressage legal bit he was happy in - and I tried dozens. The myler was better than cheaper options as the mouthpiece was much thinner and the curve more pronounced so it gave him more room for his huge tongue. The hanging cheek made it very stable but also meant there was nothing to pinch his very fleshy lips. The Micklem bridle made the biggest difference to him though, i couldn't believe the transformation. I thought they were gimmicks until my friend made me try hers on him. All of a sudden he stopped fighting and because he wasn't fighting, when I used my hand, he listened and I had brakes!

Bombers weren't around then, I think they'd be very similar and I'd certainly give one a go now.

rara007

Visit site
Max control I don’t think are dressage legal :( I wouldn’t worry about the link sitting low if she likes it- it won’t be low when you have a contact :) If it’s sitting low in the middle you do have spare width but that’ll be taken up when you take a contact.

rara007

Visit site
Just checked- max control isn’t specifically listed as ok but equally isn’t mentioned as illegal, other than as a Bridoon. For BD and FEI pure dressage that is :) Not checked the eventing dressage rules.

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
The JP bits from Weatherbeeta are quite hard to beat. Nice ergonomic curve and a good thickness - not too thick or too thin. The single jointed ones are the best - the french links not so much. They come in a variety of types and are as cheap as chips.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Just seen this post. I had a fitter out yesterday and it was very thorough and very interesting. Fitters are allowed to work. Is it because of yard rules, rather than lockdown rules?
All the fitters I have contacted have just never come back to me. They were waiting on covid rules.
Where did you find your fitter from ? X

magicmoments

Visit site
All the fitters I have contacted have just never come back to me. They were waiting on covid rules.
Where did you find your fitter from ? X
Ruth Fisher of horse bit fit. She is Nottingham based. Hope you can find someone to come out. She was here nearly 2 hours, and looked at bridle, and felt round her head for any tightness etc and gave lots of useful information.

QueenT

Visit site
Okay due to C-19 i cannot get a fitter out to look at grubs mouth.

Thoughts:-
She has a small mouth
She has a very large tongue
She has very thick lips
I have taken her out of a gag and put her in a fulmer, fixed cheek with a french link today, i also put one of my others bridles on so there was no pressure on her ears at or over her forelock.
She went much much better, but the bit was hanging a little to low in the mouth at the link, it was fine at the sides we had 2 creases so i would not like to fit it any higher, but it was def too low in her mouth. Width wise again i would not like to go much smaller as she has huge lips.
any suggestions on what to try next ?
p.s. this is the first time today i have ever heard her chew on a bit.

Our former pony had a narrow palate, so vet dentist was adamant that I only use linked bits if I could find very small links - was actually a little difficult for a pony as manufacturers use the same link for all size bits!