Bitting but without poll pressure

ElleJS

Visit site
I am looking for a bit that is stronger than a snaffle but with minimal effect on the poll? I'm sure I should know one and I have searched but alas not found, so any wise bitting experts out there please! Thank you :)

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Waterford snaffle. cherry roller snaffle. twisted snaffle?

I have good results with a copper scrob snaffle.

ElleJS

Visit site
yes in waterford snaffle with cheeks already just need a step up from that and a waterford dutchgag is too much poll pressure. copper/cherry roller could be worth a try! thank you, so should have thought of that!

KatB

Visit site
What about putting a curb strap on the dutch gag? It will stop the top ring rotating, so therefore almost eliminate poll pressure.

ElleJS

Visit site
KatB genius idea, my mother suggested it too and I was trying to work out if it would eliminate poll pressure but as you said as the ring won't rotate it should do the trick

ihatework

Visit site
In addition to the above a Dr. Bristol could go on the list.
A kimblewick might also be worth trying

Also play with noseband options (rope/kineton)

ElleJS

Visit site
I was thinking a different noseband like combo/kineton... i think roundings and back strap will be next to try. thank you all! :)

flyingfeet

Visit site
What about a waterford nelson gag with two reins?

Its a true running gag, so lifts the head and acts more on the lips than the poll?

Basically what you have, but with an extra rein for the 'whoa'. Also there are now affordable ones about!

Kat

Visit site
I'd try a twisted snaffle first, I've been dead impressed by how useful they are recently.

If you need more stopping power I'd go for a Dr Bristol, they can be adjusted two different ways one more harsh that the other depending upon the angle of the centre plate so you don't have to go dead severe.

Or a kimblewick can be brilliant on a strong horse and again has a few adjustments if you get one with slots so you can have more or less leverage, you can also change and adjust the curb (elastic/chain/leather) for more flexibility.

ElleJS

Visit site
That also crossed my mind, I have a nelson gag NS bit in my collection but it doesn't have the waterford moiuth piece which seems to work well.... may see if i can borrow one

Fiona

Visit site
Do you use the waterford full cheek with fulmer loops, as a master saddler told me that the loops slightly increased the severity of the bit.

It worked for our IDx, OH's hand was numb after her first hunt (in waterford) but the addition of the fulmer loops really did improve her manners greatly. We were all ready to buy whatever bit the saddler suggested (had roller snaffle and dutch gag in hand ready to buy) but he sold us the loops instead (at £2.50) and 'job done' :):):)

Hope you get sorted soon.

Fiona