Bitting query....

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
So I am currently riding a 7yr old horse. Native x tb. He has previously been used to hack and do some showing. Has come to me on loan 4 weeks ago. Came in a snaffle with a lozenge. When I school in this bit I feel the horse is "sucking up" the bit and doesn't take the contact down or forward. Have tried a Bomber with a port but that definitely wasn't working. Have since tried a Comfort snaffle but the horse immediately put their tongue over the bit. I then changed to a Sprenger max control double joint (loose ring) so sort of between what he came with and the comfort snaffle. Not totally happy with this either as contact varies and occasionally gets the tongue over. He isn't very strong physically as not been on work for 4 months. I am not expecting miracles just would like to find something that encourages him to take the contact forwards and down. Small mouth front to back but reasonable space re tongue. Any suggestions/advice re a suitable bit?
Having teeth done tomorrow, saddle checked, chiro and physio done (tight through back). Bridle fits well.

SEL

Visit site
The only bit my Appy would accept was the NS turtle top. She's got a full size head but the front to back length of her mouth is tiny in relation.

You can pick them up 2nd hand or the Bit Shop do trials - they're worth speaking to anyway.