Bitting question

helenandshadow

Visit site
I currently have Shadow in a happy mouth 2 ring dutch gag and have done for about 4 years, she goes well in it but I have to replace it about once a year because she chews through it.

I'm thinking about trying a Neue Schule Universal and just wanted to ask:
1) How does the action of the universal differ from that of a dutch gag? I would assume it is very similar but possibly slightly milder because of the position of the bottom ring?
2) How does the 'Salox' mouthpiece compare with a happy mouth?

Any info/opinions would be much apprechiated.
smile.gif

Hattikins

Visit site
ok this is only what i have heard (have never used one) but apparently the action of the univeral is "quicker" than a dutch gag - there is no delay between the rider pulling on the reins and the horse feeling the full effect. It is mild but depending on where you position the reins it has different strengths - similar to a dutch gag. The type of metal in it is soft and warm in a horses mouth (much nicer than stainless steel) and it encourages them to salivate. The lozenge means there is no nut cracker action
wink.gif
The main difference between this metal and happy mouth plastic is that the metal bit is heavier, and the obvious thing of the different feeling of metal and plastic in a horses mouth
wink.gif

helenandshadow

Visit site
Thank you, hmm I think I'll see if we can get one on trial before we buy in case she doesn't like the slightly different action of a universal, they don't have them on shop4bits though so I'll have to have a look around. She is ok with metal (stainless steel) bits but she much prefers happy mouth, probably because it is warmer/softer so maybe she will be ok with a NS. Yes I liked the idea of a lozenge, her dutch gag is single jointed but I was going to get her one with a roller anyway because she has a french link snaffle and goes better in that than a jointed.