Bitting up for hacking? Advice needed!

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
Hi all! After some bitting advice for my very strong, but very fussy, lad.

He’s currently in a myler loose ring snaffle, which he schools really nicely in. It’s taken us a long time to find a bit that he actually accepts so I’m wary to change, but he’s becoming uncontrollable on hacks out.

We moved yards in Nov and now got excellent off-road hacking (we had absolutely nothing before) but he’s become beyond stupid and tries to set off (trot and canter) at every given second. I literally have to pull to make him stop and it’s obviously not a pleasent experience for either of us.

It’s becoming dangerous and I’m a bit lost with what to do. We’ve tried the usual don’t trot/canter in the same places (or at all) and it’s not helped.

Im anxious to change bits as it’s taken us so long to find something he’s comfortable in. We’ve tried a few other bits (gags, variety of other snaffles) as he can also be quite strong to jump, although schooling’s helping this. I’m tempted to try a Pelham and 2 reins but worried this would be too much of a step up.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would certainly recommend 2 reins, my Draft mare schooled very nicely in the field in a snaffle(NS Tranz) but needed a NS Universal for hacking because she was so strong. The 2 reins worked really well, I rode on the snaffle rein most of the time but I knew and so did she that I had the curb rein if I needed it. Sister used to use a Myler comfort Pelham with her Appaloosa, could you try that, if he like Myler bits?

NinjaPony

Visit site
What does he do when he tries to take off? Head up/down? Crossed jaw? Open mouth?
Don’t feel bad about bitting up out hacking- clearly you can school him nicely in a snaffle, and hacking is meant to be fun. Being out of control is dangerous for you and him! My Connie schools in a snaffle and cavesson but hacks in a 2 ring gag and flash for this reason- I prefer to know I have brakes when required, and only need a light rein contact.

TheMule

Visit site
I'd use the same Myler mouthpiece with a different style of bit- they do a good range of kimblewicks, pelhams and gags

joosie

Visit site
Well, you are allowed to use more than one bit... If he schools nicely in what he's got, then why change it?... You could use just a different bit for hacking.

What does he do when he pulls? If the head goes up, something as simple as switching to a drop noseband may help. If he tends to grab the bit and set his neck, a waterford mouthpiece would be worth a try... tricky for them to take hold then. I'm also a big fan of the kimblewick for hacking stronger horses as you have the curb action without having to faff with two sets of reins.

daydreamer

Visit site
I have a 23 year old ex eventer. I school in a myler snaffle but hack in a pelham to give me brakes. Most of the time I don't need the pelham but sometimes he gets strong and I need the pelham to have brakes. It is a happy mouth mullen mouth pelham and I use an elasticated curb chain. He is very happy in it and I'm always very happy he is in it when he decides he would rather not stop!

Otherwise

Visit site
I'm prepared to be shot down for this but I used to hack one in running reins. Most of the time I didn't need to touch them, they had a nice loop in them and just rode off the snaffle but it was nice to have them when I needed them. I'd much rather use two reins so I don't have to have a stronger bit constantly in use, it also makes it easier to later transition back to a plain snaffle.

LegOn

Visit site
I've hacked in draw reins ..... shoot me, sorry not sorry ... but now i hack in a market harborough and let her get on with her sillyness and fight herself!

I started out hacking my horse in a De Gogue - worked a treat & dont need it now! What works, work - definitely sorry not sorry!!! :D

I hack him out now in his jumping bit which is a Neue Schule universal on the big ring. Definitely play around, if you've found a mouthpiece he likes, its a great place to start & then work from there with the different versions :)

Ceifer

Visit site
I've hacked in draw reins ..... shoot me, sorry not sorry ... but now i hack in a market harborough and let her get on with her sillyness and fight herself!
In my opinion if you’re going to use draw reins that’s the correct situation to use them in.
Control or to stop a rearer.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Here's another vote for hacking out in a Pelham (in my case I used a rubber covered metal mullen mouth Pelham with roundings on my horse) - hacking instantly became an absolute pleasure with a light contact, rather than rather too stressful with having to haul him around to stop - especially when we were out with other horses!

Like you, I'm at a yard with lots of wonderful off-road hacking. In our case it's around field margins with no gates, and just too dangerous to be out of control.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It does rather depend what he is doing, if you really do want to keep the bit the same you could also try a kineton?
but otherwise I would do as mule suggests re. keep the mouthpiece but in a different format.

Annagain

Visit site
I always think bitting is a case of trial and error. I'd borrow as many as you can from friends and just keep trying until you find one that works for both of you. In my case - for fun rides and beach rides - it was a Waterford 3 ring gag. It's not a bit I chose lightly and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it but it was the only one that gave me brakes that he was happy in. If you're struggling in specific circumstances that are hard to replicate so you can't school them out of it it's always better to be safe.

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
Think I’ll try a Pelham and 2 reins as, to my knowledge of how they work, they should combat all our issues. He shoves his head up and just completely ignores a snaffle.

Tried running and standing martingales (well a lot more than one) but he’s an awkwardly shaped cob type mutt and none of them fit him so they’re not an option.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
For exciting stuff with my mare I use a ported Uttoxter (slotted) Kimblewick - on the top slot - as she has a small mouth & big tongue the port is comfy for her too 🙂