Bitting....

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
My own horse has severe allergy problems. Allergic to dust, pollen, his own sweat and a host of other things that I am slowly working out. Basically you cant have anything on him for a period of time that may rub him or he tends to come out in huge bacterial infections. This means he cant wear rugs, farrier couldnt get the headcollar off one day (was only on for 2 hours) and he came out in a huge infection on the side of his face, so no nosebands either.
Basically he is very keen. When you are going steady he is grand, but a half speed or above and he just sticks his nose out an up an inch or so. A running martingale used to combat this, but obviously cant use one now. His bit of choice is a copper snaffle peanut. Lately have been using a french link hanging cheek snaffle, but it has little or no effect.
Any suggestions.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
What about a Dr Bristol? think I am correct in saying that when they carry their head correctly the angled plate lies flat, when they carry their head too high the edge of the plate exerts tongue pressure and in theory should encourage them to bring their head back into the "correct" position.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Wow, I thought mine was complicated! Sorry can't really offer any advice on this one.
confused.gif

vicijp

Is a DB the inside out frech link jobby - if so may try one of those.
I did think about a waterford for another horse I had but I dont think its the job for The Cheekster. Although keen he isnt actually strong, and has a mouth like silk.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Sure you've already thought of this (being a racing person) but how about a Dexter, i like everything i've ever put in one!!!
Or you could try a Degogue, if he's a sensible sort? ie not going to panic/go up

A DB is a bit like a french link, only the plate in the middle is longer, and sits at a different angle in the mouth!

vicijp

A dexter is the only other bit I use apart from snaffle, but I think its far to severe for him(im not a big fan of them but they do have their place). 99% of the time he is grand, its just this nose out business that does my head in.
I have thought about using my bungee on him (girth to bit to poll jobbie), but think its a bad idea encouraging him to put his head down (its usually between his knees and he broncs for Britain). Plus, I only use them when im riding long and when I need it is when im wanting to pull my jerks up!

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Know what you mean, i'd only ever do flat work in something like that.. but KG has had me going up the gallops with it on, and it hasn't gone as badly as i'd have thought.

How about a good old fashioned leather/rope running gag?
Apart from the Dexter, i'm not too keen on all these new bits with funny mouth pieces.

vicijp

A lot of trainers are using them now. I await the day some youngster turns a#se over tit and puts someone in hospital.
The thing about the horse is he isnt actually strong at all, just keen as when you get up to a good speed. Cant really justify putting anything in his mouth except a snaffle - I just want my martingale back!

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Hence the running gag.. as it's just a simple snaffle in his mouth, but with a little added leverage to pull his nose back in.. its not as strong as those horrid dutch gags, and going at the slower speeds i doubt he'll notice the difference between that and his snaffle.. esp if you find one with a small ring..

Is the martingale rubbing him aswell then?
crazy.gif

vicijp

The martingale hasnt in the past, but he currently has an infection on one side of his neck/shoulder - right where the neckstrap sits.
Touch wood, its cleared up. Have put a rug on him tonight and hoping not to find him dripping in pus in the morning!

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
sounds a little like my hunter, who does all his road work & fittening in a plastic french link, has pretty spot on breaks, but occasionally out hunting gets caught in the moment and the waterford just stops him shoving his head forward and ignoring me, other than that what about a hanging cheek? or had you tried that? trying to think what else i've used, everything tends to go in a plastic french link