Bitting

Clodagh

Visit site
Thought I ought to bit Piper this year. He did wear one a few times last spring but haven't bothered since. He's such a dope to handle he doesn't need it but I thought I ought to do it, now he is 2.
I have got a straight bar thin vulcanite snaffle. I put it on today, dipped in sugar, and he was fine but it kept turning over in his mouth when he chewed it, so it was upside down and the cheekpieces were twisted. Why is that? Is it because the bit rings are so small? Would it be better to use a thin french link or something?

Clodagh

Visit site
Oh thank you, I will stick with it for a bit then, it didn't seem to bother him I suppose being so straight it feels much the same either way up.
Thank you.

not_with_it

Visit site
Lol, I had the same idea today as you. I'm planning on taking her to a show on sunday so thought I best shove the bit in and trot up the lane. :D
I'm obviously not as nice as you as I didn't use sugar. :eek:

Clodagh

Visit site
Ar but Piper is 17hh now so if he sticks his head up I am done for! Anything to keep him happy. (Or sweet!!)

mellissa

Visit site
My goodness Piper has grown! Bless what a giant you have.

Piper was born a few months before mine I think. The last time I saw mine was early March and he was probably not even 15 hands. He has never even had a rug on so I really am going to have a challenge next year when I bring him home.

Would love to see pics of Piper

Clodagh

Visit site
I must take a pic of him, he hasn't seen the camera this year. He has good conformation but is very gawky and babyish looking. Worryingly he is bum high, too! His canter is awesome though, if I can get him to do that with me on board I will be happy.
Mellissa, remind me of yours breeding? Piper had 16hh parents but my mares parents were big, I think he is a throwback!

mellissa

Visit site
Hi Clodagh,

It least its not just mine that is gawky! Mine was by Super Trooper de Ness out of a Pachat II mare x

whisp&willow

Visit site
willow did that to begin with when i bitted her for the first time. i think it was because it was sitting a bit low and she was able to flip it over.

at first i thought i had been a total numpty and put the cheek pieces on wrong... then saw her do it again!

she actually seemed happier in a little sweet iron french link, but i put her back in the vulcanite bradoon for showing.

Clodagh

Visit site
I've got a skinny 'jp' french link I might try...sweet iron is an idea though. Off to Ingatestone - yippee! An excuse!

classic_astra

Visit site
17 hands?? wow! i remember u posting pics of your mare when she was in foal a few weeks different to jazz! be lovely to see some pics of him now x

Clodagh

Visit site
I did the string test last year and it said 18.2 I think...I thought it was wrong at the time. Still my eldest son is growing at the same rate and is now 6'4" so he will do for him...

Feed wise he has grass and a mineral lick!

Gulp.

not_with_it

Visit site
I did the string test last year and it said 18.2 I think...I thought it was wrong at the time. Still my eldest son is growing at the same rate and is now 6'4" so he will do for him...

Feed wise he has grass and a mineral lick!

Gulp.

I think he needs to take up smoking. :D

I thought Dix was going to be big but thankfully she seems to be filling out rather than going up. I'll never complain again.

Clodagh

Visit site
Piper or eldest to start smoking!?

Here are some rubbish pics, he loved the camera (wanted to eat it) so wouldn't pose at all and I didn't have anyone to help me.
Took him for his first walk today and he was as good as gold. I was sorry to sell his young pony companion but the old hunter is easier and Piper isn't hooked on him.

Godot120512016.jpg

Godot120512001.jpg
Godot120512002.jpg
Godot120512003.jpg

I'm not asking for a CC, I think he is perfect!

Clodagh

Visit site
Pics of Dixie now, please. I don't have any other two year olds to look at so I have no idea if he is gawkier than most or normal!

And he isn't bum high at the moment! Yay!

Clodagh

Visit site
Dix is a stunner, she looks ready to ride!
I was umming about taking Piper to a show but he grown too big for my trailer and I'm not sure I can justify a new one at the moment. I may try to jam him in this one first, if he keeps his head down he is OK.

not_with_it

Visit site
Thanks. She's really filled out this year but she knows she's strong and will use it to her advantage.

Could you not hire a trailer for the day?
We only went for experience ready for when I have to get on her at a competition. I'd rather she had the naughty outbursts inhand. :D