Black Beauty - ITV+1

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Any one else not able to watch this? Did 5 mins and blubbing like a baby!!!

Ohhh, thought it was just me.

A lovely film, even though they don't keep strickly to the story in Anna Sewell's book its still lovely.

Think Anna Sewell must have been an amazing person; she obviously had a true love of horses and was a pioneer of a better understanding and fair treatment, in an age where horses were just regarded as commodities.

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
I did an english project on the book a few years back and discovered that she initially wrote it as an attempt to 'educate' those who worked with horses to treat them with kindness and consideration, she adresssed a lot a of issues eg. the bearing rein, in the book he is expected to carry a heavy grain cart in one.

always cry, beautiful horses, beautiful music

Urban Horse

Visit site
I did an english project on the book a few years back and discovered that she initially wrote it as an attempt to 'educate' those who worked with horses to treat them with kindness and consideration, she adresssed a lot a of issues eg. the bearing rein, in the book he is expected to carry a heavy grain cart in one.

always cry, beautiful horses, beautiful music

Indeed she did use it as an attempt to educate those who worked with horses. She sold the rights to the book for a very small sum, but died shortly afterwards and never knew how popular the book would become. In Norwich there are several places named after her and her family, including the Sewell Barn Theatre, where Anna's brother kept his black horse, thought by many to be the inspiration for Black Beauty himself.

She was buried in the Quaker cemetary in Lamas, north of Norwich, but sadly some years ago, the cemetary was bulldozed, and her headstone now forms part of a wall at the Old Quaker Chapel.

Gift Horse

Visit site
I consider myself a reasonably tough farmers daughter but I can't bear to watch the film or read the book again.
It really gets to me. I think because it's so fatalistic animals at the mercy of humans :-(

holeymoley

Visit site
Thought it was just me! I've seen it loads yet always cry at pretty much the full film. OH had it on and I had to pretend I was pottering about in the kitchen otherwise I'd have been in tears !

bumper

Visit site
I'm obv a huge softie. I should ban meself from watching it. I always bawl where he is in the last time with the meadows with Ginger and Merylegs and again when he is found...waaahhh!

Madam Min

Visit site
Always gets me snivelling, a girl from our yard watched it and messaged me saying "Watching Black Beauty and your Amber looks really like Ginger" which she does and she hasnt had a great start in life so makes it extra sad! :(

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
When it came out on the big screen I went to see it then, taking mum & my daughter (then aged about 13).
We all sat in tears :( and all of us were 'tuff' horsey gals........
Caught part of it yesterday & welled up again..

Goldenstar

Visit site
I can't watch or read black beauty .
It traumatised me as a child.
One of the books that changed my life .