bladder stones / urinary tract infection

Sarah04

Visit site
My pony got admitted to the equine hospital on Thursday after been lethargic , dull , stiffly moving , lying down a lot . His bloods showed he had a bacterial infection and a faeces sample showed he had worms (he was wormed in October and had a worm count done in November which didn't show any worms) so they are worming him. He was scanned both sides of chest and stomach and he was scoped . The scope showed his stomach was a little bit red but no ulcers but they are treating him with gastroguard as a precaution and have said he has an infection somewhere but they don't want to have to open him up. I've visited him everyday hoping he'll be a bit brighter but he's still the same but while I was there he did 3 very small wee's (like one squirt not a usual long one) in the space of 20 mins so I'm thinking he's maybe got a urinary tract infection ? I asked the vet if it could be stones but she said it's rare . So I'm hoping they have got a sample from him. Just wondering if anyone else has a pony / Horse with this type of problem . He's only 22 months and a mini shetland .
Thanks

shergar

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your Shetland ,lethargic , dull stiffly moving , and lying down a lot are the symptoms our mini Shetland had ,when she walked she looked crooked back feet to the left of front feet ,she had Hyperlipaemia , this is a condition that Shetlands are prone to ,please query this with your vet .
Has the vet checked his penis for a bean they can slow down the flow of urine ,bladder stones are said to be rare ,but that does not mean no ponies get them my friends pony had them and he could only dribble wee . Fingers crossed for your pony ,let us know how you get on .

flaxen

Visit site
If he has hyperlipaemia it would have been visible on his blood when it was spun down and seperated. Its unmistakable.