Blair 1* Report - with wonderful Mr Figjam pics!!!

punk

Visit site
Well - there were good bits, and bad bits (and not just the weather!)
We arrived early evening on the Tuesday, in lovely sunshine, and despite the dire warnings, we didn't have to be towed in!! However, the weather soon turned for latecomers!
Daughter/rider organised the ponio, and I organised the opening of the first bottle of wine! We were lucky enough to be parked really close to most of our group of friends, so a jolly evening was had by all! Then - I attempted to put up our rather elderly gazebo..........
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Had to be there Tue for riders meeting on Wed at 10, but nothing else to do until Dr - which turned out to be 4th on on Friday, instead of Thurs as expected!!! So - a long wait to get going!!
Needless to say, after the rain on Thursday and overnight (torrential!) the warm-up was like a ploughed field! The arena was much the same, and VERY deep and sticky. Tried the new calmer and it worked!!! (or maybe pony just couldn't get feet out of mud to spook!!!) All in all - a 58 - which was better than expected!!

On to the interesting bits ! - Cross country Saturday - weather good - pony good - rider nervous but good!!

PunkBC3DE000.jpg

Then on to the first with gusto!!

PunkBC3DE002.jpg

Still going strong at the 4th

PunkBC3DE004.jpg

Went superbly, and Mr Figjam caught her at the last!!

PunkBC3DE006.jpg

Then on to the Show jumping!!! Ground VERY sticky, and distances VERY long for a pony - especially in the combinations. Think he was quite tired - as was rider (especially having been at the disco on Saturday night!)

Was full of nerves, not helped by Andrew Hoy and Andrew Nicholson standing by the arena, smiling at her as she went in!! Rode a good round................ pony jumped out of his skin..........

PunkBC3DE009.jpg

As someone commented - the jumps were not big enough!!!

PunkBC3DE008.jpg

PunkBC3DE007.jpg

but sadly got an unlucky 8 faults --- and also 8 time faults!!!

Still - ended up 39th out of 61 starters - not bad for a 14.2 Connemara and 17 yr old rider - and the winner was Andrew Hoy on an advanced eventer!!! I think they did 'not bad'...................... but then I am maybe biased by being a proud Mum!!!!!!!!!!!
blush.gif
grin.gif
I will shut up now
blush.gif

Many many thanks and credits to Mr Figjam for the very best photos I have ever seen!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
And to Mrs Figjam for being .... just great!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
What lovely people you meet through this forum!!
laugh.gif

punk

Visit site
Thanks Kat B!!! I am SOOOOOOOO proud of them. She has brought that pony on from nothing over the last few years (got him when she was 12).

We are sadly thinking that he should really take a new child to the top (he will be doing the JRN champs for the third time this year having come 15th last year) but it is a HARD decision, as nothing we look at to take S on to the next level comes near to him in talent!!!

A once in a lifetime pony - but I don't take anything away from my daughter, who has worked very hard to get him there!!

Have been looking for the one to take her to the next level, but that is sooooooooo difficult...................
frown.gif
blush.gif
Any ideas?

KatB

Visit site
Oh, he sounds fantastic, it is hard when they need to move on
frown.gif
Is your daughter going to uni or continuing to ride? She looks like she has done a fantastic job with him, you're right to be proud!!!

punk

Visit site
Hi Kat B - She has just left school, has a gap year, and then will go to Uni, but not too far away, so if we can find the right horse, she will continue to ride.

I have 3 daughters, who have all brought their own horses on from nothing to JRN champs. The elder two have given up ( well - eldest plays polo at uni!) but this daughter would just love to go on. This pony could EASILY do 2* X-C, but the distances in the SJ would probs be beyond him, and I don't think it would be fair to try. He has gone clear in Intermediates, but realistically, if she wants to progress, we have to find the right ride.

I have always been very lucky (think I have a good eye
blush.gif
) but am finding it so hard to find anything that inspires me ......................!

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!!
grin.gif

Wigglypigs

Visit site
Congrats, ponio and daughter look amazing. I was there on the saturday but never saw you guys. Friend aiming for one star next year - im excited already!

Good luck on finding new horse.
x

MissDeMeena

Visit site
They didn't just do a 'bit good' they did bloody awesome!!!!!
He's my new fav pony!! Love him!!! And no wonder he finds it hard to make the distance in the SJing when he gives them that much hight, he's already jumping 2* hight
wink.gif

I have a 5yr old for sale
wink.gif
(that said, i want to find an owner first, so i can keep the ride
frown.gif
)

Pipsqueak 1981

Visit site
WOW!
grin.gif
Lovley pony!
What an excellent result! One question....I'd like to know how you actually attached springs to the ponies hooves! Certainly looks like you have some on... they look fantastic!
grin.gif
grin.gif

WELL DONE
grin.gif

Joss

Visit site
Great report & absolutely superb pics. Particularly those SJ ones, he is givng them feet.

Hope you find a good solution to the what to do next problem. Its quite hard when you feel you have gone as far as you can, especially when you have got a really good horse/pony. One thing is for sure you wont have any problem finding a new rider for him, the queue will be round the block.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Great report! (the photos aren't too bad either!
wink.gif
) I cannot believe the air he is giving those SJs, especially when you consider the mud would have been adding a couple of inches as well! He is a fab wee pony an you are very right to be so proud of them both, what an achievement.
laugh.gif

Good luck with the search for a successor, it makes it so hard to find the next one when the current one is such a star!

Was lovely meeting you, will hopefully bump into you somewhere next season, if not Blair 2010 in he glorious sunshine where we'll be worrying about the ground being too hard?!
tongue.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Congratulations! Your daughter has done a wonderful job on that pony who is totally gorgeous BTW! Nothing nicer than a dun Connemara for me, especially one so talented as that. Great pictures too; it must have been a real weekend to remember.

TPO

Visit site
Congratulations to all! I seen part of your daughter's xc which was awesome and the whole of her SJ round. Considering the going pony was just pinging round the SJs! Mr FJ's photos are fab!

TableDancer

Visit site
Wow, that is a fantastic report and wonderful to see some photos of your pair at last - I've had to imagine them up to now!! All I can say is they look just STUNNING - love the enthusiasm and the obvious mutual trust and enjoyment XC, and the SJ, WOW!!!!! Forget jumping 2*, he's jumping 3*!! You must feel incredibly proud of them, well done to the whole Team Punk
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

kerilli

Visit site
what a gorgeous pony, and your daughter looks as if she rides him beautifully. hope you manage to find something super for her next step up.
fwiw if i were you i'd sell him for £££s (with a jump like that, won't be difficult) and go to Vere Phillips, he has cracking young horses. i had 2 from there years ago and both were superb.

punk

Visit site
Ha ha!!
grin.gif
It has taken me all this time to work out photobucket and how to upload the photos - took Figjam to tell me how to do it!!!
shocked.gif
Bit of a techno-phobe me!!

punk

Visit site
Not a bad idea!!

However, I am such a softy about my horses, and he isn't just talented - he is also the most loveable pony and will have to go to the VERY BEST home. Can't even bear thinking about it....................
frown.gif

Thanks for lovely comment about her riding - will pass the comments on to her!!
grin.gif

connie1288

Visit site
Fantastic!! I saw his pic on EWW. My old instructor used to have a Stallion called Jacaranda, wondered if there was a connection!

punk

Visit site
Funnily enough someone asked us that at Hendersyde! Am I right in thinking Jacaranda is a dun Stallion?

I'm afraid there is no connection as ours is registered Connemara (Irish) by Spring Con (The Fugitive) out of Laurelgrange Bonny Lass (Murphy Rebel).

I think he was named by the previous owners, when they got back from a holiday where they had seen Jacaranda flowers and thought it sounded a nice name!!!
blush.gif
confused.gif
grin.gif

Rosiefan

Visit site
Fantastically well done to your daughter and her pony - I love hearing about success for people who do all the hard work themselves, so rewarding for all concerned
smile.gif

Pictures are fab too.

Nic

Visit site
OMG, look at the air he is giving the SJ's! He is cracking &They are a fantastic team.

It was lovely to meet you & put another face to a name.