Blair CCI* Report

Joss

Visit site
Better late than never - last week seemed to slip by;)

Anyway, Third time lucky we made it to Blair having been qualified for the previous 2 years but thwarted by dodgy family planning & then soundness issues. This year we were not to be put off despite a lack of runs (thanks weather) & only marginally better family planning:eek:

Number one groom (thats me) was a little steady due to a the fairly immenent arrival of mini Joss number 2 so the services of HHO's Figjam & Nic (sorry Nic whats your username??!!!) were called upon which in turn produced super photographer Mr Figjam thus this report is much more interesting than my usual efforts:D

Shall we gloss over the first phase a little? We did try our best to produce a settled dressage tests - OH worked Echo for at least 3 hours each day (not in one go I may add), copious amounts of calmer were administered & all was well until the entry at A & 1st halt then it was really a case of damage limitation. All movements were performed & even the odd 8 was awarded however 'counter bounce' is not a good substitute for counter canter & the halts...... well, erm what halts?! So a dreary 66 left us at the bottom of pile - not last though as the ever cheerful Figjam pointed out:)

So onto XC - if it wasnt for the fairly copious amounts of rain that had fallen within the previous 48 hours we would have felt fairly confident. OH & Echo have done a nice handful of Intermediates now & although there is always plenty of margin for error everything looked jumpable. The main issue was to get a decent time but keep petrol in the tank on fairly soft ground.

It was obvious as they set off that Echo meant business & had brought along his jumping socks.

The 1st real question was at the 4th, the familiar wall with a related stride to a skinny brush with a drop & tight turn just after. As you can see the main issue was not to get jumped off:
Blair201204.jpg

Blair201207.jpg

Blair201209.jpg

Happily he continued absolutely jumping for fun all the way round
Through the last water:
Blair201211.jpg

Blair201213.jpg

They finished at a great gallop with just 6 time faults. Cue a happy family photo with big smiles all round
Blair201220.jpg

Not everyone found the course so easy and this good clear moved them up from 53rd to 33rd.

An early start on the final day & after plenty of walking to make sure Echo wasnt stiff & quite a search to find a bit of firm road to trot up on we headed off to the Sunday morning Horse inspection with very little worries. trotted up perfectly adequatly I thought, maybe lacking a little bounce but nearly had a heart attack when they sent him to the holding box. I thought I could tell if a horse was lame or not & I couldnt see much wrong with him. The vet took awhile to attempt to establish which leg they might be looking at but eventually squeezed a bit hard enough to get a slight reaction. He didnt think a round of show jumping would do much harm but couldnt guarantee he would pass a 2nd inspection & tried very hard to persuade us to withdraw as a 'withdrawal' looks better than an elimination:confused::( As we were pretty confident there wasnt anything wrong with the horse we took our chance............ eventually after much discussion & stressful silence the verdict came through....passed!!!! Everybody agreed they couldnt see a damn thing wrong with him............phew:)

So all nervous energy already used up we headed to the SJ. By the time it was Echo's turn to jump there had only been 1 clear & lots of cricket scores. As soon as they started it was obvious that nothing was bothering him:
Blair201229.jpg

Looking good in front of the castle:
Blair201231.jpg

Really didnt deserve to have fence down but sadly the front pole of this fell at the second last:
Blair201235.jpg

So the final result was 26th - a fair rise from the original position, a good qualifying score for 2*:eek::eek: and 2 more shiny BE points leaving him with just 1 point to go before he is out of Novice.

Despite a little of the infamous Blair mud we had a really enjoyable few days and we had better start saving up for some more CCI's in 2013:):)

tigers_eye

Visit site
The photos are absolutely fabulous and show a really stunning horse! What a lovely shot of all the family after the xc too! Well done on the QR and for holding your collective nerves at the 2nd inspection. Looking forward to your 2* reports!

Gamebird

Visit site
Lovely pics, report and result. Give A my congrats and a tin of lager from my husband ;). Damn vets, eh?...

When are you due? Must be soon. Hopefully we'll see you there next year with both of your buggies. I've got some unfinished Blair business too!

TarrSteps

Visit site
Great report and great shots, especially the brush and the family portrait. :) I do like that horse - he does jump for fun!

Glad you finally made it and got a decent result to show for it. Congrats.

(Oh, Debbie and Suzie say "hi". :) )

sabel

Visit site
What a lovely report and fab photos! The family shot is definately one to go on the wall.
Good luck with your imminent arrival and I look forward to more reports next season:)

TPO

Visit site
Lovely report and fantastic pictures.

We were all in the member's tent holding our breath and crossing everything for you when he was sent to the holding box!

DarkHorseB

Visit site
When are you due? Must be soon. Hopefully we'll see you there next year with both of your buggies. I've got some unfinished Blair business too!

GB I misread that as see you there with both OUR buggies and thought you were making a little announcement ;);)

Super report Joss - looks like the boys had super fun apart from the stupid stressage bit and holding box incident and even then sounds like Echo enjoyed the dressage :D

Hope all goes well with the impending arrival and hope to catch up with you next season.

Joss

Visit site
Thank you all for kind comments. Baby due in less than 2 weeks:eek:

Luckily Echo has yet to meet a really big bullfinch that he 'has' to brush through - I think a parachute would be required. He is a fab horse & we are very lucky although all dressage training suggestions gratefully received. How do you practise for that kind of atmosphere?!

Still giggling at comments about OH - less sexy with his egg head look XC having lost the silk on the tree at No 3!!! Noooo, I am not going to pass on your comments to him:eek::D

EventingMum

Visit site
Well done, especially in the show jumping which some others struggled with. Glad baby didn't put in an early appearance with the excitment - a friend was working in the stable management team and was due a couple of weeks from now however baby had the sense to wait and arrived this morning - I had joked with her about the vets being on hand at Blair if necessary!