Blandford flies

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My horse has just gone out at a new place and when I fetch him in his sheath and inside his thighs are covered with these horrible blackflies dangling from him sucking his blood. :( I'm trying all the things in my repellent collection to try and keep them off but has anyone with experience of these got any tips as to what is best. I only had midges and clegs to deal with before, not these awful little things. I think I need a thick gunk that will stay covering his sheath to protect him, poor chap.

Schollym

Visit site
My horse has just gone out at a new place and when I fetch him in his sheath and inside his thighs are covered with these horrible blackflies dangling from him sucking his blood. :( I'm trying all the things in my repellent collection to try and keep them off but has anyone with experience of these got any tips as to what is best. I only had midges and clegs to deal with before, not these awful little things. I think I need a thick gunk that will stay covering his sheath to protect him, poor chap.

We have a similar issue with our mares going for the udder area. You can get fly repellent gel and we smother our girls sensitive areas in it. Check on line for brands.

Gloi

Visit site
We have a similar issue with our mares going for the udder area. You can get fly repellent gel and we smother our girls sensitive areas in it. Check on line for brands.

I'm working my way through the many fly preparations I have (My other horse has sweet itch so I have a lot) but trying to find what's the best thing to coat his sheath with. He was covered in fly repellent today all round there but didn't seem to keep them off. I tried Naf Deet power gel the other day.

M&M&G

Visit site
Nettex summer fly cream is great for my mare's undercarriage - might be a bit strong for sheath?

meleeka

Visit site
Nettex summer fly cream is great for my mare's undercarriage - might be a bit strong for sheath?

It’s great for sheaths too :) It is indeed bright yellow so you need to wear gloves, but it’s the best thing I’ve found for both sheaths and udders.

merlin12

Visit site
Another vote for summer fly cream. Also have found sudocream and also baby oil useful. You may find the horse will kick at himself to dislodge flies and his back legs get covered in whatever cream you use. I think the irritation caused by flies leads to swelling. My boy has access to a shelter . Seems to me some horses have a problem with this, my other geldings don't get bothered.

Crazydancer

Visit site
Gloi, whereabouts are you?? I hope the summer fly cream works, and also REALLY hope it's not Blandford flies..... anyone in this area (I'm in Wimborne) will know what a scourge they have been in the past - bites on humans swell worse than bee/wasp stings, I had one on my foot and it was so bad I couldn't drive for a few day. So many people had to take time off work as it was so incapacitating! The flies are tiny.... and non-native! The breeding beds on the river were sprayed eventually as it caused such havoc! I've not heard of anyone having had a bite for quite a few year now, I thought they'd manage to finish them off...... :(

Nudibranch

Visit site
I know it is a bit over quoted at times but it is genuinely a good use for Sudocrem. I have a pink nosed, pink sheathed gelding who seems to attract them worse than others. I just slap a good handful of Sudocrem on his sheath each day and it keeps all the bugs off. He's not mad keen on anything else being sprayed or wiped on - I get the impression it might sting. The bonus side effect is it keeps everything in there nice and crust free too!

Gloi

Visit site
Gloi, whereabouts are you?? I hope the summer fly cream works, and also REALLY hope it's not Blandford flies..... anyone in this area (I'm in Wimborne) will know what a scourge they have been in the past - bites on humans swell worse than bee/wasp stings, I had one on my foot and it was so bad I couldn't drive for a few day. So many people had to take time off work as it was so incapacitating! The flies are tiny.... and non-native! The breeding beds on the river were sprayed eventually as it caused such havoc! I've not heard of anyone having had a bite for quite a few year now, I thought they'd manage to finish them off...... :(

I hope they aren't then. Somebody told me that's what they were called. They are bloodsucking black flies, some species of simulium, I'll try and get a better id.

Crazydancer

Visit site
I hope they aren't then. Somebody told me that's what they were called. They are bloodsucking black flies, some species of simulium, I'll try and get a better id.

I REALLY hope they aren't as well!!! Blandford flies are really tiny and it's amazing how much pain they can cause. If you see them against a dark background, their legs look like little dots as they have white 'knees'..... I know that sounds like a joke but seriously that is the case! The first outbreak decimated the working population in the area, Wimborne looked like a scene from a horror film, people hobbling around with massive swellings and blisters on legs/feet/arms/hands..... they seemed to like women more than men, and some women (like my poor mum!) more than others..... it's been over 20 years ago now though and I'd not heard of anyone getting bitten in recent years. Your post title caught my eye and bought back some rather unpleasant memories!!! LOL!!!