Dressage Bleedin' nora, Kira does an Inter 1!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Wasn't going to do a report on this but I figured we were short of them again now the clocks have changed and it's all got a bit DARK :confused:

Anyway, I find it really useful to reflect on things by writing about them so here goes.

Earlier in the year during one of our lessons, it was decided that we should have a go at an Inter1 before the year is out. The 2 tempis were getting quite established, we had a go-all-the-way-round pirouette both ways and the half pass zigzag was coming along. Then, we had a reeeeeally busy late summer and autumn with lots of away shows and oh yeah, a wedding and honeymoon too :eek:;)
So the idea got shelved, we got busy doing mostly some advanced medium stuff and some fun trips away.

Then I got round to looking at the show calendar and knowing I wanted to do our first one at the venue I did our first advanced AND first PSG, suddenly realised that time was ticking on as they shut down for Dec and Jan. Discussed it with trainer, who agreed that it was about a month too soon but if she felt good at the area festival final then we ought to go for it cos she is confident at the venue and it's 99% going to be the lovely smiley list 1 judge who almost encourages you down the centre line, rather than sitting at C with a big frowny face o_O

I had a good feel despite some mistakes at the AF. Promising, but still a bit doubtful. Then another HHOer and friend lost her lovely horse to colic and it was a stark reminder that we only have them for a short while, and you just never know what is around the corner. So we did a ride through the test on the weekend. Felt like we weren't quite ready but we haven't been quite ready for any level, being completely honest! i tend to need to dare myself to do things to get through the jelly legs and nausea ;)

And then the day arrived. It turned out not to be the lovely smiley judge I'd been banking on, instead it was one that I've found quite intimidating in the past so the usual jelly legs and sicky feeling were not fading as I went to tack up! Into the warm up and quite quickly realised I'd over-egged Kira's breakfast dose of Turbo flakes :oops: She was extremely hot and zoomy, which is ACE but she need to remember to wait for instructions! I had a double handful most of the time and while we got some mega half steps and tight piris, she had her fingers in her ears about tempis so we went to the test arena having achieved *none*.

Goody.
Bell went and here we go, sh*t or bust. Little Kira really tried hard :D all the trot work felt really secure, the extensions were there when I asked, she made the long diagonals feel easy - not so long ago she ran out of steam before the end. The canter zigzag was about the best she's done so far (good timing, K) really waiting for the changes and setting off to each new HP promptly. We had some mistakes in both the 2s and 3s which was entirely predictable, the 3s I will take responsibility for because I concentrated so hard on not starting too soon, I then forgot to count. Duh. The 2s, I was determined to get so I tapped her on the bum and she went croup high.. so I didn't tap the next one and she missed it :rolleyes: but we picked up and carried on, I think we did sort of 6 and a half 2s :eek: but anyway.. left piri fell apart a bit but I was chuffed with the change before the acute turn to the right one, and the right was better than I dared hope as it's by far the harder to ride. Final centre line, square halt and ta-dah, Inter1 ticked off the bucket list! :D

It's hard not to feel deflated when you are walking out of the arena and you've had some mistakes, especially when it's stuff that is usually secure. And it's hard not to feel a pang of disappointment when you get a 59.7 score when 60 would have been amazing ;) but the reality is that is just one mark, out of 380 available. So it's all there for the taking. And having had a little think, I reckon 59% on a cob is a pretty good starting point!

It's such a big learning curve. Anyone starting out at prelim and trying to work out how to warm your horse up the best way on the day, that learning bit never goes away. Kira's tough to get the right balance, today I needed a bit longer to make her more reasonable, but equally I can't ride her too hard or for too long, or she won't have enough sparkle to get round a long and difficult test.. I'm still learning how to ride her. You never stop learning how to ride the test better. You never stop feeling nervous on the first time. And I don't reckon that little buzz of having done a hard thing ever goes away either :)

So there it is, no rush to do the next one since we have a winter of consolidation coming up, hopefully get our AM qualification finished for winter regionals to complete the set and it's the native champs next week. Then we can just do a few shows to keep our eye in, and hopefully come out in the spring a little more established :)

No ridden pics as I was on my own, but here is the little tank declaring that it's time for a sugar lump

45673471_2196027963742035_3781884545700200448_n.jpg

and here's our practice ride from the weekend, arena is 25m wide so I was having trouble guessing the sizes of everything :eek: definitely learnt some useful things from just one proper ride round at a show though, I can't wait to try the whole thing again and see how we can neaten it all up :cool:

(also a day of tricky behaviour, though it was spooking at the wind that time!)

Last edited:

only_me

Visit site
wow! Thats brilliant! Fab score and am in awe of what you've done, not an easy feat even on a non-native lol.

Tokyo is a couple of years away so plenty of time still ;)

Reactions: SEL

milliepops

Visit site
i enjoyed watching that, nice to see a cob doing the higher movements, she looks like she tries really hard, bless her
She really does, today she could have been a little more helpful at times but honestly I couldn't ask for a more perfect partner to do all these first-times with, she's completely the wrong sort, wrong breed, wrong size, wrong temperament but she loves learning and she's such a cutie :)

daffy44

Visit site
I think its a really fantastic achievement, I hope you are very proud of yourself as well as Kira the super sports cob!! Maybe you were slightly harshly marked, but even so, its a great starting point at the level, and absolutely something to be very proud of, I dont know about you, but personally i find it always takes me a while to get the hang of riding a test at a new level, doesnt matter what I do at home, there is nothing like riding it in competition.

(If I caused the problem in the 3s, I'm very, very sorry)

milliepops

Visit site
I think its a really fantastic achievement, I hope you are very proud of yourself as well as Kira the super sports cob!! Maybe you were slightly harshly marked, but even so, its a great starting point at the level, and absolutely something to be very proud of, I dont know about you, but personally i find it always takes me a while to get the hang of riding a test at a new level, doesnt matter what I do at home, there is nothing like riding it in competition.

(If I caused the problem in the 3s, I'm very, very sorry)

Thanks daffy :D I am dead dead chuffed, 3 years ago to the day we were struggling to finish our Novice Open quals so this is like a dream!

Yes definitely, I agree that it takes a few goes to get the hang of riding a test, I've found that with every level and usually the regionals test :oops: I remember the day M75 suddenly felt enjoyable very well, for instance.

No need to apologise, it was working very well outside and then I had a brain fart in the ring and rode a 3 and a 4 and then some 3s. Oops!

daffy44

Visit site
I'm very relieved I didnt cause an issue!

I am absolutely the same, it takes me a while to get to grips with every new level, it certainly doesnt happen overnight.

To achieve what you have done is amazing, to achieve it in three years is extraordinary, I'm so chuffed for you!!

milliepops

Visit site
she's such a good student, it doesn't feel like we've rushed either :oops: I don't think she's ever going to be the horse that gets 70% at every level no matter how long we carried on with it, she's "mid 60s on a good day" horse at every level and I think when we get it together she will be the same at I1 too, does that make sense? I don't think she'd get 70% at elementary even now!

She's physically limited but just really bright, I think. It makes Salty feel very very slow by comparison!

daffy44

Visit site
she's such a good student, it doesn't feel like we've rushed either :oops: I don't think she's ever going to be the horse that gets 70% at every level no matter how long we carried on with it, she's "mid 60s on a good day" horse at every level and I think when we get it together she will be the same at I1 too, does that make sense? I don't think she'd get 70% at elementary even now!

She's physically limited but just really bright, I think. It makes Salty feel very very slow by comparison!

Makes total sense to me, its a rare horse that can get 70% at every level, my GP mare was at best a low 60s horse at Elem, if I'd stayed there trying to get 70%, I'd still be there now! Absolutely right to train on, a bright horse enjoys the challenges, and Kira is clearly enjoying her work, and trying her best, and thats all we can ever ask.

Bernster

Visit site
Gosh isnt that amazing. She’s such a smasher that girl. And you should be so so proud. I don’t even really know what goes on above novice, so it’s all Greek to me, but I love reading your reports. Very wise comments as well about the nerves etc. Which I can relate to. I also think you’re right, sometimes you’ve just got to go for it and then learn from the experience, not wait until you think you’ve cracked it. Seize the day and all that.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
That is just brilliant well done the both of you:D.

my instructor took a horse out a few weeks back first medium test for this horse it was very windy and the horse just didn't cope and it all went a bit wrong, he went out the following week with the same horse same test and went and won:) it's just one of those things that sometimes happens.

SEL

Visit site
Love Kira! I think when I first started reading your posts you were doing novice - bet you never thought you'd get this far! Brilliant achievement.

Irishdraughtx

Visit site
Long term lurker here, I always find your posts really inspirational with what you've achieved on not your typical dressage horse, I'm starting out with my cob who im trying to do justice for and you give us hope for the future! 😁

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
That's wonderful. She is awesome. Love seeing her on that video - have never seen a native work at this level and it's great to see.

milliepops

Visit site
Thank you everyone :)

Love Kira! I think when I first started reading your posts you were doing novice - bet you never thought you'd get this far! Brilliant achievement.

Never for a moment. She's just the gift horse that keeps on giving!

Long term lurker here, I always find your posts really inspirational with what you've achieved on not your typical dressage horse, I'm starting out with my cob who im trying to do justice for and you give us hope for the future! 😁

That's kind of why I like sharing this stuff, I am not deluded to thinking we're doing an amazing job, but we ARE having loads of fun and learning a hell of a lot along the way. I really feel sad when people think they can't train their horses cos they aren't fancy-bred posh things, sometimes all you need is a good brain and a generous heart <3

Well, you Carpéd the heck out of that Diem! Very well done, and don't fret about the scores, they will come in their own good time (and with the right judges).

Lol! yep that just about sums it up! thank you.. we will keep on plugging away now with her training again... Now I've got the first one out the way, next time hopefully it will be fun rather than terrifying ;)

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Wasn't going to do a report on this but I figured we were short of them again now the clocks have changed and it's all got a bit DARK :confused:

Anyway, I find it really useful to reflect on things by writing about them so here goes.

Earlier in the year during one of our lessons, it was decided that we should have a go at an Inter1 before the year is out. The 2 tempis were getting quite established, we had a go-all-the-way-round pirouette both ways and the half pass zigzag was coming along. Then, we had a reeeeeally busy late summer and autumn with lots of away shows and oh yeah, a wedding and honeymoon too :eek:;)
So the idea got shelved, we got busy doing mostly some advanced medium stuff and some fun trips away.

Then I got round to looking at the show calendar and knowing I wanted to do our first one at the venue I did our first advanced AND first PSG, suddenly realised that time was ticking on as they shut down for Dec and Jan. Discussed it with trainer, who agreed that it was about a month too soon but if she felt good at the area festival final then we ought to go for it cos she is confident at the venue and it's 99% going to be the lovely smiley list 1 judge who almost encourages you down the centre line, rather than sitting at C with a big frowny face o_O

I had a good feel despite some mistakes at the AF. Promising, but still a bit doubtful. Then another HHOer and friend lost her lovely horse to colic and it was a stark reminder that we only have them for a short while, and you just never know what is around the corner. So we did a ride through the test on the weekend. Felt like we weren't quite ready but we haven't been quite ready for any level, being completely honest! i tend to need to dare myself to do things to get through the jelly legs and nausea ;)

And then the day arrived. It turned out not to be the lovely smiley judge I'd been banking on, instead it was one that I've found quite intimidating in the past so the usual jelly legs and sicky feeling were not fading as I went to tack up! Into the warm up and quite quickly realised I'd over-egged Kira's breakfast dose of Turbo flakes :oops: She was extremely hot and zoomy, which is ACE but she need to remember to wait for instructions! I had a double handful most of the time and while we got some mega half steps and tight piris, she had her fingers in her ears about tempis so we went to the test arena having achieved *none*.

Goody.
Bell went and here we go, sh*t or bust. Little Kira really tried hard :D all the trot work felt really secure, the extensions were there when I asked, she made the long diagonals feel easy - not so long ago she ran out of steam before the end. The canter zigzag was about the best she's done so far (good timing, K) really waiting for the changes and setting off to each new HP promptly. We had some mistakes in both the 2s and 3s which was entirely predictable, the 3s I will take responsibility for because I concentrated so hard on not starting too soon, I then forgot to count. Duh. The 2s, I was determined to get so I tapped her on the bum and she went croup high.. so I didn't tap the next one and she missed it :rolleyes: but we picked up and carried on, I think we did sort of 6 and a half 2s :eek: but anyway.. left piri fell apart a bit but I was chuffed with the change before the acute turn to the right one, and the right was better than I dared hope as it's by far the harder to ride. Final centre line, square halt and ta-dah, Inter1 ticked off the bucket list! :D

It's hard not to feel deflated when you are walking out of the arena and you've had some mistakes, especially when it's stuff that is usually secure. And it's hard not to feel a pang of disappointment when you get a 59.7 score when 60 would have been amazing ;) but the reality is that is just one mark, out of 380 available. So it's all there for the taking. And having had a little think, I reckon 59% on a cob is a pretty good starting point!

It's such a big learning curve. Anyone starting out at prelim and trying to work out how to warm your horse up the best way on the day, that learning bit never goes away. Kira's tough to get the right balance, today I needed a bit longer to make her more reasonable, but equally I can't ride her too hard or for too long, or she won't have enough sparkle to get round a long and difficult test.. I'm still learning how to ride her. You never stop learning how to ride the test better. You never stop feeling nervous on the first time. And I don't reckon that little buzz of having done a hard thing ever goes away either :)

So there it is, no rush to do the next one since we have a winter of consolidation coming up, hopefully get our AM qualification finished for winter regionals to complete the set and it's the native champs next week. Then we can just do a few shows to keep our eye in, and hopefully come out in the spring a little more established :)

No ridden pics as I was on my own, but here is the little tank declaring that it's time for a sugar lump

45673471_2196027963742035_3781884545700200448_n.jpg

and here's our practice ride from the weekend, arena is 25m wide so I was having trouble guessing the sizes of everything :eek: definitely learnt some useful things from just one proper ride round at a show though, I can't wait to try the whole thing again and see how we can neaten it all up :cool:

(also a day of tricky behaviour, though it was spooking at the wind that time!)
Brilliant, good on you for giving it a go and showing how well you can do xx

j1ffy

Visit site
Wow well done!!! That is an amazing achievement with your £1 pony!! Just think of what you’ll be able to achieve when you manage to count to 3 (says the person who can’t do a single flying change!!!).