Blenheim today - thoughts and questions

Puppy

Visit site
I haven't been to Blenheim for a few years but we went today and had a wonderful time :) It was a nice contrast after Burghley to have fewer crowds and get a better view of lots of the action. Just a shame we had to leave before the later showjumping, but my daft mare has managed to get herself put on boxrest, yet again :rolleyes:

Thoughts at the end of the day include, how blooming brilliant for Piggy and Pippa to have both had such great rides and two horses in the top ten each. Good work by the British ladies, and Pippa on two homebreds as well :)

Dreadfully bad luck about Lucinda's fall. I hope she is ok. Looks like New Zealand will get the qualifying spot tomorrow. Does anyone know why the Aussies only had 4 riders start?

Willy Do is the best name for a horse, ever! :D

Ringwood Magister is blooming gorgeous!

I hope Tom Crips is ok. :(

What happened to Lucy W? I don't recall even hearing that she was on course.

Anyone know if Madison Park is ok? (I think I have the right horse) We heard that the rider pulled up.

I was slightly tickled to find out that one of the Japanese riders is in fact a Buddhist monk - he still had a whip and spurs though!! :cool:

Terribly surprised to overhear a ground jury on his radio and three riders in a row being watched/discussed for wreckless riding... :eek:

Oh, and most surprising to see WFP have a refusal and Andrew Nicholson eliminated. It seems terribly odd not to see them dominating the top ten, (they were both on young horses though).

A super day though. :) Wish I could go back tomorrow :rolleyes:

teapot

Visit site
Tom Crisp has broken his leg according to Eventing Nation (and Lucy W has a suspected broken ankle too after landing on her feet) :(

Addicted to Hunting

Visit site
Yep was a good day, watched the high jump, WOW!!! Didn't stay to watch the showjumping as would off had to pay another £7 each for uncovered seats!! Having allready paid to get in, don't really think that fair, but been there long enough really anyway. And yep NZ have allredy qualifed for the games, so is against Japan and Aus for the ticket but if Aus don't qualify there then they will prop get enough riders qualifed as indivual's through world rankings anyway.

oldvic

Visit site
I haven't been to Blenheim for a few years but we went today and had a wonderful time :) It was a nice contrast after Burghley to have fewer crowds and get a better view of lots of the action. Just a shame we had to leave before the later showjumping, but my daft mare has managed to get herself put on boxrest, yet again :rolleyes:

Thoughts at the end of the day include, how blooming brilliant for Piggy and Pippa to have both had such great rides and two horses in the top ten each. Good work by the British ladies, and Pippa on two homebreds as well :)

Dreadfully bad luck about Lucinda's fall. I hope she is ok. Looks like New Zealand will get the qualifying spot tomorrow. Does anyone know why the Aussies only had 4 riders start?

Willy Do is the best name for a horse, ever! :D

Ringwood Magister is blooming gorgeous!

I hope Tom Crips is ok. :(

What happened to Lucy W? I don't recall even hearing that she was on course.

Anyone know if Madison Park is ok? (I think I have the right horse) We heard that the rider pulled up.

I was slightly tickled to find out that one of the Japanese riders is in fact a Buddhist monk - he still had a whip and spurs though!! :cool:

Terribly surprised to overhear a ground jury on his radio and three riders in a row being watched/discussed for wreckless riding... :eek:

Oh, and most surprising to see WFP have a refusal and Andrew Nicholson eliminated. It seems terribly odd not to see them dominating the top ten, (they were both on young horses though).

A super day though. :) Wish I could go back tomorrow :rolleyes:

I suspect that the Aussies didn't have any other british based riders wanting to run at Blenheim. New Zealand have already qualified and were just making up numbers as there had to be 3 teams start for it to count as a qualification. They probably didn't bargain on being in 3rd place after cross country.
Andrew was eliminated on a technicality. He had a run out when Quimbo jumped big over the ditch at the coffin and couldn't turn to the last element. He thought he would carry on until the water and then pull up but decided to take the alternative at one fence that he hadn't really looked at and didn't realise that the ground jury had specified that they should cross their tracks going that way!!
William's 20 was at the same coffin - possibly the same thing. The horse is a very good young horse so I am sure it's no problem. Everyone can make a mistake.
The ground jury will take very seriously anyone riding wrecklessly and will watch them very closely with possible disciplinary action.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Lucy feel at fence 7 the bar fence which was wide table downhill with turn to large corner. We were at fence 6 at time. Horse came past us absolutely fine very shortly. We saw Lucy in a lot of pain getting treatment at side of fence. Wouldn't be surprised if she broken ankle.

William's fall we saw from afar as we were at the double of tables. Looked like run out at brush out through greeness. Bettina only just got through the flags there after getting a bad line over the ditch. She took it out with saddle but legs/shoulder through ok.

Save of the day for me goes to our own HHOer! Clipped the first table infront causing Nancy to twist not only did Laura get back on line and in the plate but jumped the second well with one stirrup. Well done Laura most wouldn't have recovered from that but you did. I have photographic evidence although the ones over second table are dodgy as was concentrating more on whether staying upright than taking photos

The high jump comp was again superb. Laura wa the only one to go saddleless clearing 1m80 in amazing style with jitterbug just taking out 1m85 behind. All the last three guys went shirtless and JP won clearing 1m90. Photos to come of that as well.

And although yes on hen do I wasn't the elusive pink hat lady although I will prob be identifiable there today.... :p

star

Visit site
the high jump was the highlight of my day but not for the semi-naked men - much more impressed by Laura's bareback riding - she didn't move an inch!

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Indeed star Laura once again was giving a masterclass in balance. Jitterbug seemed to jump better without the saddle than with!!

Today's xc was very interesting lots of problems but stops rather than falls etc. The sj today was very eventful as well. I was surprised brook staples wasn't eliminated as his horse jumped the wing of the second part ofthe double and in process puttin a leg through the wing (I have photos!!!!) it got free ok and they still jumped last jump (they were essential team member!) but he didn't jump through flags ?!?!

Well done the Japs though. Final team member to jump seemed positively shocked to realise he had done enough to secure qualification. Well done them.

ElleJS

Visit site
Laura and Jitts are amazing! Totally cool.

I would love to see the photos of my 'near miss' at the big tables, oh my god how incredible is my horse to keep turning and jumping!!!!!! I had no stride after breaking up the canter round the turn and losing power and was one of those eeeeek moments for sure! She kept up and turning and jumping! I had no left contact or stirrup so she had every right to run straight on but she was honest, knew there was a reason I loved mares- What a good horse! She got lots of big pats before the water!

Also wondered why Brook had got eliminated.... oh really feel for the Aussies :(

Lots of very lame and injured horses this morning in the stables which was a shame and looks like they will be out for a long time.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
You certainly made us go a bit :eek: Elle! well sat and recovered though (it was unanimous that we would all have fallen off ;) and lovely mare :).

Laura bare back jumping was amazing. I reckon the boys cheated by taking their tops off ;)

and no we didn't make you wear a pink hat Santa so don't moan :p

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Photos will follow tomorrow when home as at hotel for night as couldn't be bothered to drive all way home and back unnecessarily ;)

Have just looked at them again on camera and you can see as you land skewif over the first that she has spotted the second and obviously locked in. However good she was to turn and jump you still did amazingly well to stay in the plate and go with in balance over the second! Your face after the second says it all :D

So they actually did eliminate brook in the end did they? Score board had him as 16 odd penalties. It really was an eeek moment as it was actually the second attempt as stopped first time and was going to run out the second but end result was jump/crash through wing and entire left leg went through the then broken back wing! Was a real shame as up to there he was clear I think.

vineyridge

Visit site
Just wanted to thank Blenheim and the UK eventing community for the touching remembrance this afternoon of America's September 11, 2001. I can't speak for the nation or anyone but myself, but it really meant a lot.

letsgobonkers

Visit site
Was there all week - my OH completed his (and the horses') first CCI *** there, v v proud!! :D. Missed out on a Badminton qualification for next year unfortunately (he's gutted!!) but did qualify for Burghley next year so think that pretty good compensation! Fab event and we were sooo lucky with the weather too.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
SC, if you have pictures of a gigantic bay with a rider in a pink P2 and navy hat (not sure of the number though, can check for you) would you be able to send me them? It's a friend's horse :)