Blenheim

Lexi_

Visit site
Is anyone going?

And if not, can anyone on here make use of a couple of wristbands for the whole event? I'm fence judging Sat & Sun and they always send a couple of spare passes to volunteers as an extra thank you. I live too far away to have any horsey friends who can make use of them but there's no point them going to waste! Free to a good home :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
How nice of you. We're going for the first time, but already have camping passes for the whole thing. Let me know what fence you're at (PM me when you know) and I will say hello.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Is there a grandstand for show jumping there? And is there SJ and XC on both weekend days? I'm trying to get my head round how it works. Anything good to look out for or tips?

{97702}

Visit site
It is a brilliant viewing course, really easy to walk round (slight congestion over Grand Bridge over the lake) but otherwise really nice :) The lake is always popular, but it is worth the effort to walk all the way up to the top of the hill/course where there are some tricky combinations which catch a few out. Yes there are grandstands for viewing, there is some SJ and XC on both days - have a look at the website, they have a good timetable on there :)

Oh and if you are inclined to do the tourist thing, the palace is worth looking round, the park is absolutely glorious (I used to walk across it to get home when I skived off school!) and Woodstock is very pretty if touristy :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Thanks. Yes we hope to bob across to the palace too if we decide that we can trust new dog in the caravan and it's not too hot to leave them in there.

Is there any non grandstand viewing of SJ? Screens outside etc? Or do you need tickets?

I'm looking forward to it, although it's a fair slog with a caravan.

{97702}

Visit site
Gosh now I am testing my memory - I honestly can't remember if there are big screens, sorry, I usually have 4 greyhounds in tow so studiously avoid the shopping area and grandstands! There is free entry to bits of the grandstands as I recall (apologies if I have got this wrong!) but best views are with tickets.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Lévrier;13016211 said:
Gosh now I am testing my memory - I honestly can't remember if there are big screens, sorry, I usually have 4 greyhounds in tow so studiously avoid the shopping area and grandstands! There is free entry to bits of the grandstands as I recall (apologies if I have got this wrong!) but best views are with tickets.

Yes there are screens to watch from outside the grandstand,
we sat on the grass last year eating chips and watching from there!
Its a great place and we got engaved at the big hotel down the road a few years ago!
Other half had bought the tickets and book hotel for a nice weekend away!
Now we try to go every year.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I've just caught up with this thread, been at Burghley, and wanted to say thanks. I'm really looking forward to it now after Burghley!

We are on the campsite too. Pop in and say hello. We are the caravan with 3 dogs.

Lol, that will make two caravans with three dogs then!

Anyone got any tips for the campsite? We hope to go down on the Tuesday. Are there any areas with views of the course or quiet areas?

Lexi_

Visit site
I'm camping too! We're hiring a caravan rather than bringing the tent this year so that's exciting. No dogs but it'll be the one with a silver CR-V parked outside.

The campsite is fab - it's never too noisy, showers are brilliant and the buggy service stops right outside so you don't have too long a walk (although if you want to walk it's only really 10 mins down the track past the stables & car park to the main entrance).

Not too sure about best viewing areas as we've only ever been there FJ-ing so don't get much chance to walk around :D I think they might have a big screen in the main arena though?

*scrolls back through thread to see what else has been asked*...

There's cross-country on the Sunday (the 8 & 9 year old CCI*** class) but it's a smaller section, so shorter than on the Saturday and it starts and finishes earlier, presumably so it doesn't clash with the main showjumping. There are lots of activities in the other arenas throughout the whole four days - the eventers & PC challenges are good fun to watch and the displays are great too.

You get money off the palace if you show your entry ticket to the horse trials (always handy!) :) We nipped through the entrance behind the main area/dressage warm-up to get in.