Blimey - how scarey!

Parkranger

Visit site
Just totting up what the boy costs me a month......needs to get shoes back on as after 4 weeks he's still so footsore and fitness is suffering due to lack of work! I could perservere but our lack of easily accessible off road hacking just isn't going to allow it I don't think.

Need to get him sedated first couple of times so that's another £70 odd on top of farrier bill.....so £600 a month he's costing me for the next couple of months....omg

That doesn't include the adhoc bits I buy for him......actually that's not including lessons at £16 a week.

very scarey when you add it all up! x
blush.gif
off for a stiff drink me thinks
laugh.gif

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Not me. We worked out that we spend around £1200 on the horses when we include competing, training and running the lorry. Hence why we no longer do the maths.

Wouldn't have it any other way though

Dogbetty141

Visit site
I never do maths just wonder where my money has gone when it gets near to to pay and Im skint 2 days after I get paid lol.

I need a stiff drink too could somone lend me some money lol.

xx

TGM

Visit site
Have you thought of using hoof boots on him? I know a lot of barefoot people swear by them - not used them myself though. They are not cheap but if you are going to have to pay to have him sedated on a regular basis it might be worth it.

melv1lle

sams-progress.blogspot.com
You should try keeping a horse near London! I moved from Cheshire to central London this year and now keep my horse in a very nice livery yard in Berkshire. But my monthly costs have gone from about £350 a month to around £700! Its a good thing it takes me so long to drive out to him in the evenings cos it means I get to have no social life so have nothing else to spend my money on
crazy.gif

melv1lle

The irony of the whole thing is that as he was off to the meat man when I got him he actually cost me less to buy than he now does to look after each month! But I love him very much so he is worth it
grin.gif

I have already started to think up the list of pointless stuff that I really need to buy when I get to the heaven that is the Olympia show shopping village...

Parkranger

Visit site
Tell me about it - ended up with a horse that cost me a fortune but has turned out to be a nightmare!

Oh well, lucky for him he's a sweetie... x

melv1lle

Yes lots (I am a very proud mother) - they are all on my blog which is in my signature. My boyfriend thinks I am too sad for words but my mother likes to read it so I keep it up to date
grin.gif

I will be updating it again soon to show how we have progressed with the jumping.

So how come your horse is a nightmare? I think I remember seeing your name on the forum a month or so ago linked to a new horse but I can't remember what the threads were about??

Parkranger

Visit site
He looks fantastic - such a credit to your hard work!

The photo of you jumping made me spit coffee onto my keyboard - we were EXACTLY the same a few months ago when we first started - makes me sure that Ty was a flatracer! haa haa

He really does look great though........ x

Parkranger

Visit site
Sorry - I brought him 6 months ago, had him 5 stage vetted - turns out a month later that he's blind in one eye!

Also had alot of issues on the ground with him as I'd been out of riding for 15 years and brought myself a TB - doh.....we've worked through things though and I'm so much more confident than I think I'd be if I'd have gone for the easy option (although no horse is an easy option I know!) He's a typical TB - very loving but needs to know who's boss - would do anything for me but does play up for other people.....

x

melv1lle

I am glad to hear I am not the only loon who after not owning a horse for 14 years (since I left home) decided to take on a TB and an ex-racer at that! I am a complete chicken as well but you are right - when these kind of horses have their hearts in the right place then it is amazing how much you can learn. I really think I have come on more in my riding in the last 12 months I have owned him than I ever did before.