Blinkers for loading?

Carlosmum

Visit site
Having searched other Blinkers threads I can't find any info so... I have issues with loading, I have to be able to load on my own , so I have now taught pony to self load for a bucket of feed at the front. However, he is very sensitive to me attempting to bring the bar up behind him and will back off as soon as he becomes aware of my movements. I was wondering about french blinkers to block his reverse view and try a sneaky manoeuvre before he realises what I am up to! Has anyone tried this? Do you think it would work? I have fashioned a pair of very crude blinkers from a piece of foam and some cable ties, so I thought I would have a go later, when the wind and rain have stopped. I'll let you know what happens!

Green Bean

Visit site
Interesting thought about blinkers. I will be interested to see if that works. I would have thought his other senses would kick in as he would hear you and feel the bar moving.
I am stuck with a horse that will only load if there is someone in the trailer already. I may try the feed bucket to see if it would work in case I am ever alone with no option of commandeering someone my horse knows

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
To be honest you are just hiding the real problem. He should't be shooting off the trailer backwards. You also run the risk of making the problem a lot worse. At the moment the horse is on a knifes edge but the reward of food overcomes all issues until you add the final issue which is the bar behind. Patching over this issue is going to only lead to bigger problems.

You need to solve the backing issue. I would be loading daily and working towards it slowly. Clicker training might be useful. He needs to be confident in the process as otherwise its going to bite you on the arse when it unravels and it will be at a place which is really frustrating.

Dexter

Visit site
Blinkers stops them seeing directly behind, but it doesnt make them stupid. They know you are there. There is the risk that he will realise he cant see and absolutely lose the plot. You need to carry on the training until hes happy

cauda equina

Visit site
One of mine used to run out before I could get the back shut
I led him in, and while he had his head in a bucket threaded the lead rope (it had to be a long one) round the breast bar on the empty side and kept hold while I did the back up
That way I still had hold of him if he did try to back out and we'd done enough pressure and release work that he didn't pull against me

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
There is a loading gadget that you put on the horse then attach to the breast bar so he couldn't back out. Not sure I would use one in case they panic but it could be a solution. Do you travel with a partition? If you do you could let him go up the ramp and to the front himself whilst you follow and put the bar up? You may be doing this already so apologies if you do!!

Carlosmum

Visit site
Thank you all, believe me I have tried everything! He is happy to go in, but it is getting him to stay when I am on my own. Tried an experienced horsemanship person, taken all the partitions out.... he turned round as I was putting the bar up. Tried a loading harness, he sat on it till it broke. He travels happily, comes off the trailer calmly at his destination, will stand in the trailer without fussing etc. Currently feeding his breakfast and daytime haynet in the trailer, which is set up in his paddock.
One of the things I know bothers him is the noise, haven't yet got him wearing earplugs, he doesn't like me poking in his ears, so that is a work in progress for when we actually get to travelling.

This has been an on-going problem for years, once I think we've cracked it he finds another way to avoid the situation!

Equi

Visit site
Is he breaking the cross ties by pulling back?
If they are small enough to be able to turn about in the trailer have you ever tried going on the front ramp and then you’ll be able to do up the front bar while you still have him with you. Or if no front ramp, up the back and turn around to do the back then back around to tie up.

Carlosmum

Visit site
Is he breaking the cross ties by pulling back?
If they are small enough to be able to turn about in the trailer have you ever tried going on the front ramp and then you’ll be able to do up the front bar while you still have him with you. Or if no front ramp, up the back and turn around to do the back then back around to tie up.

I haven't cross tied him as I think with nothing behind him he would pull back. He's a 14.2 pony turning in the Equivalent of an Ifor 505, he shouldn't be able to do it!! I don't think there would be enough room for both of us in the trailer to ask him to turn!

Dexter

Visit site
I haven't cross tied him as I think with nothing behind him he would pull back. He's a 14.2 pony turning in the Equivalent of an Ifor 505, he shouldn't be able to do it!! I don't think there would be enough room for both of us in the trailer to ask him to turn!

Theres easily enough room to turn. Mine used to do it as she preferred to unload forwards out of the back