Blister type sores on mouth?

live2ride

Visit site
My mare is wearing a greenguard muzzle during the day and then had all night on short grass to have a break
However I've noticed blister type sores on her lips on side of face
I was wondering if these might be from the muzzle or maybe buttercups

And what can I put on them to treat them?

Thanks for your help :)

diamonddogs

Visit site
I was going to suggest buttercups.

It must be the pollen as your horse wears a muzzle - it must collect in the muzzle. A friend's horse had a similar problem last summer, and it turned out she was ultra sensitive to buttercup pollen. I think she gave her mare piriton, and just kept the area clean and moisturised till the blisters healed.

caramel

Visit site
My horse had these, vet said it was something he'd eaten. Turns out he's been eating buttercups! Which caused them. Needless to say they went on their own and he's not eaten them since!

Elsbells

Visit site
My mare has suffered the same. I had nightmarish visions of worm like creatures crawling out but.........turns out it was the buttercups!

Tnavas

Visit site
The effect of Buttercups on Serenity - note the swelling
JAWSarahsswollenJaw001.jpg
JAWSarahsswollenJaw004.jpg
JAWSarahsswollenJaw002.jpg

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
My mare has swelling - which has now gone down, and sores on her lips.Pretty sure it's the buttercups, but can't change fields. Do they learn to stop eating them on there own?

Tnavas

Visit site
I don't think they intentionally eat them - they get caught up in the grass. My girl only had to be in the field with them to get this swollen face.

Fortunately her current grazing is weed sprayed regularly so there are no buttercups in her paddock