Blizzard v arthiritis

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I have two horses at home. Turned out by day on a hardcore turnout area around the yard with haynets as very boggy land. Works very well generally. Both horses have arthiritis and have Synoquine and cartrophen injections, agai. Usually works well for both.

This week I've noticed my 20yr old looking stiff again in her hocks. (We've had a fair few snow days this year but not deep and not such cold temps and she's been fine). Today it's been snowing constantly, it's blowing hard so the snow is swirling and drifting and its minus six. The horses can usually get out of the wind due to how the stables are built, but not today.

From an arthiritis point of view do you think she's better standing still in the stable (which is warmer and out of the wind) or staying out on the yard where she can move around?

ihatework

Visit site
I would go by the horses stance/expression when out in blizzard.
If just stood still hunched up then what’s the point? Might as well be inside.
You could always just bute a bit and handwalk a bit either side of day, but leave in otherwise?
If seemingly happy and mooching about then I’d leave out

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm going to go and muck out and then I think they can go in again. They will have been out three hours and can have another hour later on if it calms down. Thanks for your help.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
On a normal day they could, but not in a blizzard, they'd be full of snow. I'm just back and there was a 2' snowdrift in the yard and a small drift in the stables just from it blowing under the doors (top doors shut!). They were very happy to come in and get out of it, and we're all now barricaded up and warm.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Is it hock arthritis? My mare has this in both hocks, and if she needs to stand in for any length of time I find that her Back on Track padded hock boots help her enormously. Some bute or Danilon during the cold snap could help ease things too.

Mine are both staying out so far with access to north facing and south facing field shelters, but I'm keeping a close eye on things. Their stables are bedded up ready so that I can bring them in at any time if the weather gets worse.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Mine is in. He has hock arthritis, and hates bad weather-first sniff of snow and he was pacing at the gate! I keep him warm with rugs, leg wraps, and will up his small dose of dandelion if necessary, and hand walk as and when I can.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes it is her hocks. I was thinking about getting some boots, so thanks for the recommendation. I think I will give her bute through this cold spell (trouble is she hates it!).

She was queueing up to get in as soon as I opened the top door. Ironically an hour after I brought them in it stopped snowing, but it's still blowing and more is forecast, so I think I will leave them be.

Micky

Visit site
I’d definitely recommend leg wraps, made a huge difference to my old boys warmth factor and leg stiffness..he’s noticeably colder without them..if I had the choice, I’d leave the stable door open with hay inside etc but let them come n go as they pleased..