Blo0dy Farriers - why is it so hard to get a reliable one??

claire1976

Visit site
I had a crap farrier at my old yard - well he was good but never turned up. So I was feeling quite pleased with myself when I found a new farrier after moving to my own field. He turned up early, did a super job then took out a diary (first time I've seen a farrier with one) and booked me an appointment for 8 weeks time. He took address of field and my phone number. So for a 3pm appointment today I waited from 2.30-4.30 and he didn't arrive. I've left 2 voicemail msg's and a text - No reply.
Now I have a horse desperately in need of shoes/trim who can't be ridden until I can find yet another farrier.
I'm so sick of this - in 6 yrs of horse ownership I've never had a reliable farrier.
frown.gif

Molineux

Visit site
Good farrier's are hard to come bye - however I had an experince the same as you!
Left loads of messages for him as he never showed, however I got a call to say he had been Killed in a car accident
shocked.gif
He was a very good farrier and I was so shocked when he never showed.

kerrylou123

Visit site
oops, that can't have been good!
I had one once that we were waiting hours for, when his wife turned up to tell us he was in hospital because he was kicked in the head, unfortunately never recovered enough to return back to work. I have have a fab farrier that always turns up when he was he's going to turn up!

moodymare1987

Visit site
Oh good god poor farriers, one didnt turn up for mine as he was in a motorbike accident the day before and was out of work for 6 weeks, luckily found a farrier that could do mine untill he come back to work,

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I've been through loads of awful farriers, finally, touch wood *touches head* I've found a brilliant one who hasn't complained once about being thrown about by the evil donkey and he's always on time
grin.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
Hmm...only thing if they do get delayed, if mine says he'll be there at x you have the horses in at least an hour early and it may be three/four hours later before he arrives!
You need to train them, I now insist on booking WHEN he turns up and he's much better!
;p

SusieJane

Visit site
I've been blessed.

I've had two farriers. Both been brilliant, kind and helpful.

Only one gripe with this one... he turns up hour earlier than stated, and won't go til he's got tea and toast!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I had a farrier who wouldn't come to a yard unless he had at least 3 to shoe. My horse lost a shoe & he wouldn't come out to replace. I binned him there and then & got another one. This farrier I've now had for 6 years & he's never let me down.....seriously, never. If he gets tied up with something he'll phone & let me know. He seldom takes on new clients as all his stay with him.

Tia

Visit site
I am pretty lucky with my farrier. Because I have so many horses here, it takes him a number of hours to do them all so he always comes here first thing in the morning.

I do sympathise though especially if you have to hang around a field waiting for him.
frown.gif

calon

Visit site
sorry your having trouble claire we are lucky here we have great farriers in our area ,as you know my son is one so i am ok but i have to say they arnt keen on shoeing in muck and if the horses are wet and they dont have hard dry standing to work on they dont like doing them because its didfficult to do a good job as well as hard work if you have your stables up try letting him know he has somewhere to shoe inside that might help good luck ,glad baily is well

TGM

Visit site
I agree with Calon that the fact that the weather has been so wet and the fact that, presumably, he would have to do the horses in a wet and muddy field might have been why he didn't show up. Still very bad manners not to ring and let you know though.

PoppyPony

Visit site
you may have seen my rant/poll a lil while ago about bl0ody farrier, well anyhoo after 2 appointments where he didn't turn up at all and many times late, my horse has at last had new shoes 9 weeks after last time. I had him originally booked in for just over 5 weeks.

i have decided, after owning a horse since august, that I do not like farriers.

mind you my instructor's farrier is really lovely and always turns up on time - he wouldn't take on my horse because he didn't want to become unreliable, but was very apologetic to me and put me on his 'waiting list'.

Deefa

Visit site
i have to say my farrier is fabby, always early or on time, never been late!
He is used alot in my area as he is one of the only ones that are decent with time keeping!

claire1976

Visit site
I have stables up now and even before I had the stables up I have a hardstanding area and cleaned off the horses before he arrived. There is no excuse as my horses are well behaved and he has 3 to do so its not like its a waste of time for him. Its very bad manners not to call, unless of course he's been in an accident then of course I'll have to apologise!

xEMPx

Visit site
My boyfriend is a Farrier and he is a saint!!! ( not being biast )

He rings most people/texts them to organise things .... and is so organised its unbelieveable!!

And he is gorgeous!! xx