Blood test results - advice

Twinkletoes

Visit site
Sorry, also in Veterinary.
As many of you have followed, my yearling has been extremely poor, and although picked up since we got him in Nov, he should be better than he is.
So, blood test results came back today. The vets called, and are putting a copy in the post, so am going to get a second opinion.

He said the liver enzymes are up, but not dangerously, and he is prescribing a liquid to boost his red blood cell production.
Thought suggested parasitic activity but couldnt understand that as both boys have been on a strict worming programme since Nov, and had 2 double doses within that. They were only wormed last tues too.

Stupidly, it was 530 on a Friday when they called, but I didnt get a lot more info than that.
He certainly wasnt overly concerned, and said he would be surprised if the summer didnt right the horse.

Can anyone help at all, esp re liver enzymes 'slightly up' or shall I just wait and see what our other horsey vet suggests when it comes through in the post?x

Tnavas

Visit site
Have you tried bomb drenching? Your worm once a week for three weeks with a broad spectrum wormer - one that contains Ivermectin and Praziquotal. It kills the ones in the gut and then if there is a high worm burden and they are encysted in the surrounding tissues you get them with the next dose - they move into the gut when the first lot died. Finally with the third you get the ones recently hatched.

I did this with my foal that I bought off ht hills - she had more worms than I've ever seen following one dose!

kellyeaton

Visit site
it could be a liver virus a liver fluke. Do you know if he has ever come into contact with ragwort? the liquid they will give you it probally will be vi sorbin very good stuff!