Bloody bot flies!!! Poor pony.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Got to the yard last night to fetch shettie in as he is being nanny to one of the ponys at the moment, he was just stood at the gate waiting and kept rolling and rolling, first thought was colic, i got down the field and he seemed fine then i heard a very tired buzzzzzzzzzzz, there was a horrible bot fly stuck under his fly rug! I took his rug off and he seemed fine, do they sting? Makes me think twice about putting his rug on now but as you may know from my camrosa post's he suffers terrible sweet itch. Has anyone else ever come across this happening?

Clodagh

Visit site
I think they sting yes, I assume thats why horses and cattle go mental if they hear them. Poor boy, hope hes got over the shock.

SSM

Visit site
Where in Notts are you? I've so far (fingers crossed) not seen any and there have been no eggs on any at our yard - I do however have the bott knife out ready for action and MS is sprayed liberally every morning with the forum spray!

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I'm actually between Nottingham and Derby, I stable at Risley if you know where that is. It was the first night ours came in with them, but my friend who lives down the road has been swarmed with them.

pottamus

Visit site
Don't worry, they don't sting but they hover around and keep buzzing in at them in order to lay the orange/yellow eggs. You need to get these off if your horse has any on them...they are usually around the legs, shoulders and mane areas. I hate them too...they are a pain.

M_G

Visit site
I saw my first Bot fly last night (it was chasing saffie) I am in Market Deeping so they are on the way, Whoever invented bot knives deserves a medal
grin.gif