bloody farrier AGAIN!

serena2005

Visit site
Sorry you lot must be sick of hearing me rant about my crap farrier!

he came to shoe the horse again, but no he could do a decent job could he!? he only done the back feet, and it was shoddy.

so i phoned him and this is how the converstation went bearing in mind iv spoken to him 2 times all ready today!:
me: hello its serena with herbie...
him: errmmm
me: woodlands farm...
him: hhmmm
me: arkley?....(even more annoyed by this point
mad.gif
mad.gif
)
him: oh barnet yer yer....
me: you didnt trim his front feet
him: no i did them 3 weeks ago, she didnt need them done. (err herbie is a boy
mad.gif
)
me: no you didnt you just changed his shoes
him: oh well i didnt think they needed anything off
me: but they havent been trimmed for over 7 weeks now!
shocked.gif

him: well i didnt think they needed anything off, if you want i can come and look at them next week...
me: well your the farrier if you dont think they need doing how long shall i leave them? another 7 weeks??
him: no, ring me in 3 weeks and ill come and have a look.
me: yer ok bye.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

this horses owner is such a bleeping idot.... how can anyone have their horse shod by the p!*%?k???!!!

i dont know what to do... is there any point in saying anything to the owner? she thinks the sun shines out of his massise behind, and hes the best thing since sliced bread.

and i dont really have much say, she paying for his shoes, its her horse, im just the idot that looks after it....! god im so angry.

sorry had to get it out.

Natalie_H

Visit site
That's a tricky one! I had my last farrier for 3 years. He took my TBs shoes off for 2 summers because he said he couldn't get shoes on him. Whenever his shoes came loose, he would refuse to come out (TB has dreadful hooves, shoes need to be professionally taken off when loose or they rip half the wall off!) When he took his shoes off this summer, the hooves got worse, not better. I started to see white line separation - TB got progressively more lame, not better. Called the farrier - too busy to come out! (This is 2 months after shoes were taken off!). I once called him about a loose shoe & he said to leave it & call him if it got worse. It did, I called him & he never returned my call!! I called the vet who got me a referral. New farrier came out within 3 days - put a set of shoes on straight away - horse completely sound & happy again (has been miserable for 2 months). When front shoe started to come loose, he came out within 48 hrs & shod him. Had vet for lameness today - he said it could be an abscess. Called the forge - farrier answered the phone - came out within 15 minutes!!! He is soming back Monday to put the shoe back on. I know this doesn't help you, but he is fantastic & totally worth the £55 it cost to get the vet out for the referral! If you are not happy, try to do something - best thing I ever did!

P.S. Old farrier called me back within 5 minutes of me texting him on a Saturday night at 8pm to tell him I needed to cancel my next appointment - So he can return a call!!!!

serena2005

Visit site
you new farrier sounds like the one i have for my cob, its not jimmy or peter by any chance is it?!!

the farrier i have for the cob is bloody brilliant herbie went lame a few weeks ago, owner had someone up to view him and she blamed the natural balance shoes my farrier had put on for his lameness, so she changed to the crap farrier, but that night i phone my farrier and said i thought he might have puss in his foot and he was there within the hour.

if the horse was mine i wouldnt call the farrier out again just for the fact he fails to notice he has a willy .

Natalie_H

Visit site
PMSL!! No - my farrier is Trevor - qualified in 1976! He is FWCF qualified. I really feel for you in this situation. What annoys me is that you are paying good money for a service, & are right to expect to get a professional service in return!! I had a really bad loose shoe a couple of years ago. I called him & surprise surprise "I haven't got time to look at it - stick a boot over the top of it until his next shoeing". Took said advice, shoe rusted inside the boot, hoof sweated & walls fell apart - Shoes off for 3 months!! Cheers!!

P.S. Good to have a rant & get it off my chest!!

serena2005

Visit site
i cant believe how farrier like that get work!

i wish i had taken my camera up the yard tonight and posted pics of his fantastic craftmanship!

as a matter of fact, YO said he didnt even shoe the horse, his "partner" did... who ever he is! i may has well have done it myself.

Natalie_H

Visit site
Take some pictures tomorrow!! I don't know how they get work either. Used to make me feel like I wanted to change profession & become a qualified farrier as I felt it was the only way I could ensure my horse was getting the best treatment available!

Natalie_H

Visit site
I am sure I will be able to picture the quality of the rasp marks as I getting a good feel for the exceptional talent of your farrier. He sounds like a really special guy!

serena2005

Visit site
lmao!!

oh hes something else im telling you!! just dont know if theres any point voiceing my concerns to horses owner, we all know how farriers get when you pissed them off.... even worse!!!

Natalie_H

Visit site
That's the thing - they can be very hormonal! That's the other thing that really hacked me off with my old farrier - If you ever contested anything he said (in a constructive - not critical way) you felt that close to him throwing down his tools & saying "shoe him yourself then" & walking off in a tantrum! I often wanted to ask him whether it was his time of the month.

serena2005

Visit site
LMAO!!!

I always ask my farrier what hes doing and why, hes so good he explains everything, and he even put in road nails without charging me, oh i miss him shoeing this horse!
frown.gif

Natalie_H

Visit site
My new farrier told me on first viewing that "he's got a bit of a club foot but it's not that bad" after years of listening to "rubbish horse, rubbish hooves, waste of time & money, hooves will never be any good, no supplement or dressing will make any difference". My old farrier said "still can't get shoes on" New farrier (2 weeks later) "I'll sling a set on him now if you like". When I called him out a week before last shoeing due to one slighltly loose front, he told me "you have done totally the right thing - the shoe would have been off in a few days". It's weird not being made to feel like a complete moron anymore!!!

serena2005

Visit site
i know how you feel! the first time he came out to shoe him, he looked at his feet (they were 5 weeks old, usually shod every 6 weeks)
Oh they are in a terrible state, wont be able to do much with them, hes made a right mess of them aint he!?
i was so annoyed how dare he slag off my farrier!

and he didnt even trim them! thats why i thought he was going to do it today, now they are over 7 weeks!!! and he wants to leave them 10 weeks!! oh god im laughing now its so bad! he should be on that program rouge traders

Natalie_H

Visit site
That's a clear sign of unprofessionalism! My old farrier slagged off loads of other farriers & went on about how great he is. My new farrier hasn't even commented on previous shoeing - he just gets on with his job!

Maybe he was a bit tired from all the sophisticated craftmanship he had been doing that day so decided to only shoe half of the horse - after all - it's no skin off his nose! SHE is only a horse (Ha Ha Ha).

serena2005

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he was a bit tired from all the sophisticated craftmanship he had been doing that day so decided to only shoe half of the horse - after all - it's no skin off his nose! SHE is only a horse (Ha Ha Ha).

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO probably true... sad thing it was only 11 am this morning!

kick_On

Visit site
i would defo change - if you can't get a good name locally look on the farrier website and phone around
They are crasftsmen so don't deal with craps one. They are a different breed and need careful management but if you repect them the should repect you.
I have two horse one is easy to do other one is a big pain in the neck BUT my farrier is fab and we always keep talking about how's it going and he always thinking of horse and rude to me (in a fun way eg last week gave me an article about a new cremetium(sp) service for horse!!!-bu88er), but i don't care, his main thoughts are doing best for horse and if your farrier is NOT doing that CHANGE!!!
as the one saying goes
No foot no horse