Bloody horses....fright of my life!!

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Today, went out on a lovely hack with Kelly, just a little one - she behaved beautifully, pranced a bit on the way back but nothing like she has been behaving over the last few weeks. (17 years old? ha! :eek:)

Anyway, when we got back, we decided to put her out for half an hour (just in a tiny back paddock behind our stables) for a graze while we finished our jobs. Kept checking her, fine, went to get some straw (a minute MAX) came back, no Kelly.
Checked the muck heap first (She loves it there :confused:) no Kelly. Then noticed our other mare and other horses out in the big field at the top of the hill (it stretches right to our stables and the next town) causing a right commotion so I shouted to G (Kellys mum) and we headed down the block - once we reached the end of Kelly's field we noticed the fence was down and a load of hoof marks across a little brook and up alongside the big field.

Now where she'd gone leads to miles and miles of fields, the canal and a big dual carriageway so at this point I felt sick, kept wondering what we'd find. We're trekking across this land, as fast as we can - its really hard to stay upright in all the mud (my new Ariats!!!!! :() and I'm wondering if Kelly managed it. Got to the 'end' of this land, no possible other way to go, except the big field (even though the fence there was in tact, can't see how she'd POSSIBLY get through, but we go in anyway - by this time we're almost in the next town along from where the stables is and we can't see Kelly, the other mare OR any of the other horses! Very strange.

To cut a long story short, cue a lot of shouting, falling over in the deep mud, we searched the whole perimeter of this field, kept looking back over the brow, looking for a small rugged figure either grazing or running. We don't spot any other horses until we reach the gate of the big field - decide to bring other mare in on the way back to the yard, feeling so sick by this point. Put other mare in her stable and walk back up the block - 45 minutes later.

For some reason, I stick my head round the corner to Kelly's field - there she bloody was, stood so innocently, munching away :mad::mad::mad::p:eek::(;)
by this point I want to hug her and kill her at the same time!
I shouted to her and she put her head down and walked over to me - washed her legs off and thankfully, we couldn't see any cuts or anything this morning and she kept her shoes on. Poor Pebbles, however, threw a shoe in all the commotion!

I just keep going over it in my mind I can't understand how she got past us!! There must be some point where we've passed each other and god knows where she was hiding when we were looking!
So relieved, but absolutely shattered tonight, everything's aching!! :eek:
K x

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Boots are fine :D cleaned them up once I got home.
It was both the best and worst time of my life when I spotted her there, realising we'd trekked all that way and the little witch had come back!! :p
K x