Bloody weather - LICE - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mooch

photobucket.com
I have been keeping an eye on Jerry all winter for Lice, seeing as it hasn't been too cold and he is rugged up making a nice environment for them to live.

He picked them up about April time last year and I had a terrible time getting rid of them.

I checked him earlier today and the bloody things are back. Couldn't do much at the time as I knew I had no powder.

Been out and got some this afternoon, covered him head to foot and chucked his rug back on, as the temp is due to drop here tonight.

He is an old lad now (late 30's), so I don't want to clip him until the warmer weather comes in and he lives out 24/7.

Has anyone got any special little tricks, products etc that can help me get rid of the darn things?????????????

Mooch

photobucket.com
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I used Ivermectin about 4-5 weeks ago (will need to check diary) for my routine wormer to cover Red Worms.

Maybe why they have come out now as the effect of the wormer drops off!!??

Guess, it's too early to use it again at the mo? I don't want him to build up any resilience to the wormer.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone got any special little tricks, products etc that can help me get rid of the darn things?????????????

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe Turners might be able to solve the problem....
smirk.gif
wink.gif

Mooch

photobucket.com
Eqvalan - I know it is ment to have no known resistence!! and if I remember rightly it is made from naturally formed Ivermectin.

Think I might have to dig out my worming licence folder!! lol

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Eqvalan - I know it is ment to have no known resistence!! and if I remember rightly it is made from naturally formed Ivermectin.

Think I might have to dig out my worming licence folder!! lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno if wormer will do the trick with Jerry anyway tbh, (he certainly seems to have an affinity with the little critters!) and your worming literature is probably out of date by now, as worming has evolved rapidly in the last few years.

Ivermectin is the usual treatment for lice anyway, but that said, we used it on a particularly louse-ridden hoss, and it did little. You could see her coat 'moving'...
crazy.gif

Perhaps speak to Mr Vet and see what he can suggest?

Tia

Visit site
Ahh well your horse must have the biting lice and not the blood sucking lice then. Ivermectin only kills the blood sucking ones, the biting ones survive on dander and hair follicles so won't be affected by any chemicals given orally. You'd have to use powder for them.

Incidentally Ivermectin kills human head and body lice too.......don't know if I'd want to give a syringe of Eqvalan to a kid though LOL!!

Of course Dubs may be right....Turners may be your best bet
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
They usually get them from birds, although deer and sheep can pass lice onto horses too.....but yes you are right, the lice do come from another carrier.

kibob

Visit site
Hi

Deosan or Coopers fly repellant kill lice, We've just had an outbreak on my yard. The elderly mare that picked them up first was injected against them by the vet, but all others were sucessfully treated with deosan. you will need to repeat application in 2-3weeks to catch any newly hatched lice and also spray rugs with Deosan. disinfect stable etc. Pesky critters!!! Good luck

Llwyncwn

Visit site

My little section A rescue has been covered in lice. We tried all the powders which didnt work. The vet suggested Frontliner (the dog delouser) and it has worked a treat!

Mooch

photobucket.com
A bit like flea eggs, they can lie dormant for some time.

But, once alive they have to remain on their hosts as they die if they are off the body for some period of time.

I'd love to know where the hell they have come from!! As you know he is on his own.

The only thing I can think of is, that I did put some hayledge out from a bale I had from an equestrian shop. He didn't eat it but, he did rub up the hay net!!!!!!!!

I have removed it now and stuck it on the fire to burn!!!

Mooch

photobucket.com
Tia - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am very upset with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TURNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those of you that don't know or haven't guessed 'Turners' is our local meat man!!!!!!!

The suggestion of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'goes off for a cry!!!'

Mooch

photobucket.com
Having had a closer inspection of them today, they do look like the biting ones as they are about 5mm.

I do seem to have caught it early tho as they are only on his neck (all toastie and warm under his neck cover!!)

I have treated the whole of him tho and fingers crossed I have picked it up before they spread everywhere.

Mooch

photobucket.com
Jerry is an old lad, so he is prone to them. I did put the remains of my Coopers directly on the isolated patches today.

So I'm hoping that will kill off the live ones and the powder will kill off the others as the eggs hatch.

I did try to remove as many of the eggs as I could with a Nit Comb today. I will keep doing it too.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just had a thought. How lucky is Mooch that she's not on NMM's yard?!
shocked.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats happened to NMM?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh gawd!Think the thread might have been removed now.....she got shouted at very publicly for her horse having lice
crazy.gif
All very unneccesary and nopt nice for her
frown.gif

Mooch

photobucket.com
Gosh, thats not nice at all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any horse can get them!!!!!!!!

(I do know you can get reported for neglect if you leave them) But, who the hell would??

So glad I'm not on a yard!!!