Bloody yard owner

hairycob

Visit site
I had a bad fall and mashed my knee my knee. YO has been poo picking for me but wouldn't take any money. I bought her a bottle of good gin and some fever tree tonic, but she's done this before for holidays. What the heck am I meant to do when I run out of gift ideas

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Count yourself very lucky!

Perhaps you could offer her some help in return in a thank you card, or if it's just yours and hers, or DIY you could offer to cover for a couple of days when you're better so she can have some time off.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Or wine, or chocolate, or flowers, or bamboo socks, or crisps from M&S ��

Well I think none is enough of all of those, other than the bamboo socks, which I'm just off to google out of curiosity! But gin? I can always find a home for that :p

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Well I think none is enough of all of those, other than the bamboo socks, which I'm just off to google out of curiosity! But gin? I can always find a home for that :p

Never heard of bamboo socks?!!! My dear.....you have never lived

millikins

Visit site
Stick with the gin. I pay the guy who keeps the landy on the road in Jack Daniels, when he does minor tweaks/leaks etc, he's not complained yet that it's boring :)

Equi

Visit site
It is all about the gesture. You have acknowledged that she helped you out (and as a YO she would benefit more from the poo getting lifted regularly as it helps the other liveries and saves the ground from getting unevenly weedy etc etc) so you have both done gestures to each other. When i was at work one night my mare decided to foal and as i was watching CCTV i was able to call neighbour and ask him to go down which he did. He made sure the foal got out of the sack and stood/suckled etc (which was greatly appreciated...sitting watching it all unfold on CCTV but not being able to be there was torture despite my mum being there too) I felt like it was too little...cause how much can you put on the life of your new foals...But i got him a meal voucher for a local restaurant and he told me that the gesture was really appreciated and he would not have expected it at all cause neighbours look out for eachother.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Bad day at the office ??? ;)

No, not at all......gave the office up years ago! :)

The original post just comes across to me as rude and ungrateful. There are no smiley faces to indicate that it is tongue in cheek as JFTD suggested.

If it was supposed to be a humorous post as everyone else seems to have taken it then it just serves to show how the written word can be easily misinterpreted and my apologies go to the poster.

Last edited:

Seville

Visit site
My ex livery referred to me as " bloody yard owner" when I looked after her horse 3days a week when she changed jobs. At no charge I might add, and she paid less than the going rate for "diy"
Now re read the first line of this post OP, and think yourself incredibly lucky, and think also about your attitude toward YO.

Frumpoon

Visit site
My ex livery referred to me as " bloody yard owner" when I looked after her horse 3days a week when she changed jobs. At no charge I might add, and she paid less than the going rate for "diy"
Now re read the first line of this post OP, and think yourself incredibly lucky, and think also about your attitude toward YO.

Your livery probably meant "bloody humourless yard owner"

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I rather thought the subject... running out of gift ideas implied the post was tongue in cheek! It's hardly that the OP is ungrateful if she is buying gifts (while quite rightly thinking that cold hard cash would be easier :D).

Widgeon

Visit site
I rather thought the subject... running out of gift ideas implied the post was tongue in cheek! It's hardly that the OP is ungrateful if she is buying gifts (while quite rightly thinking that cold hard cash would be easier :D).

Exactly....I thought it was fairly obvious that she was joking and was in fact grateful for having so much help that she's running out of gift ideas!

Smogul

Visit site
I had a bad fall and mashed my knee my knee. YO has been poo picking for me but wouldn't take any money. I bought her a bottle of good gin and some fever tree tonic, but she's done this before for holidays. What the heck am I meant to do when I run out of gift ideas

I share your pain. My neighbour feeds cats - cats have always reciprocated with a bottle of wine and chocolates. I now find out she has had to give up on booze for medical reasons and is trying to lose weight!

Seville

Visit site
Your livery probably meant "bloody humourless yard owner"

I doubt it, having looked after said horse for two and a half years for her. Just the kind of diy livery who p1ss3s YOs off.
You know nothing about my soh, but OP didn't indicate humour, and oddly I wasn't the only one who thought so.

Notimetoride

Visit site
Once Id read the post it was obvious to me the title was tongue in cheek. People often refer to people on that way that they are very fond of. My own Dad calls me a bl'dy nuisance and on my wedding day, told my husband that im his problem now ! Love him :)

Now how to repay her. Thats a tricky one. Can you muck out her stables for her sometimes (ive done that for people before as a nice surprise), poo pick fields etc etc. I sometimes think time is a nicer gift than money. Failing that, does she like cut flowers (not everyone does). If she does, a really extravagant bouquet of flowers is always a nice treat. Might be worth really thinking outside the box for something very personal.

ihatework

Visit site
Exactly....I thought it was fairly obvious that she was joking and was in fact grateful for having so much help that she's running out of gift ideas!

Me too. So obviously tongue in cheek!

I've a similar problem! I must be the only livery in history that tries to convince YO to take more livery money from me!

Queenbee

Visit site
bloody yard owners - they are the best sort aren't they?! I I have one too, when ben was 4 and booked into a county show - he went to his first show a week before (local) and flipped, it was not how I had planned to approach a county show! I sat in tears with the YO that evening and declared I couldn't possibly put him through a CS so unprepared when he behaved like a nut job - it wasn't fair and I would cancel. She told me no, she would rearrange her plans and she would take me in her new box (with living) so we could arrive the day before the show started and see how he was with the atmosphere gradually building up - she was there throughout, watching me warm up, watching me in the ring - she was my rock and he behaved impeccably.

When dad was diagnosed with cancer - she took over ben, he was PPP picked, mucked out and all done when I arrived at the yard that night.

When I went to bury Daisy my whippet at the yard yesterday - she would not let me do it alone, she insisted on wielding the pick axe while I did the shovel.

Those are just a very small handful of moments in the last four years when my YO has been the best bloody yard owner I could possibly wish to call my friend. Her friendship is given freely and without condition, but I still take her treats, G&T, flowers, lamb chops whenever we buy a lamb from my friend �� I have a load of fresh cut dahlias for her to take up the yard later. I would be without her x

JFTDWS

Visit site
Since we're all taking things literally today, I'm going to suggest the OP's next present to her "bloody YO" is a bandage and a lift to A+E.

Too far?

QB, I'm sorry to hear about your Daisy :( Bless your YO.

Annagain

Visit site
Maybe wrong time of year but for a horsey person I don't think you can go wrong with hats and gloves.....and FWIW I took it as being tongue in cheek too. Your gratitude is obvious.

Queenbee

Visit site
Since we're all taking things literally today, I'm going to suggest the OP's next present to her "bloody YO" is a bandage and a lift to A+E.

Too far?

QB, I'm sorry to hear about your Daisy :( Bless your YO.

Thank you my lovely :( it was a shock but not a shock if you get me? She had been on stolen time for a while, and the last couple of weeks just starting to slow that bit more, I knew the decision would not be far away, just didn't expect it in that moment - :( xx

Fred66

Visit site
I doubt it, having looked after said horse for two and a half years for her. Just the kind of diy livery who p1ss3s YOs off.
You know nothing about my soh, but OP didn't indicate humour, and oddly I wasn't the only one who thought so.

Well I think enough of us have gathered that your soh appears to need to have things fully explained to it ! It was obvious to anyone with any modicum of ability to read beyond the title itself that the OP was effectively singing her YO's praise.

Seville

Visit site
Well I think enough of us have gathered that your soh appears to need to have things fully explained to it ! It was obvious to anyone with any modicum of ability to read beyond the title itself that the OP was effectively singing her YO's praise.

Chill....life's too short! It was just an opinion. We are all allowed one.