Blue Chip and EHV!!

anorman-007

New User
www.avnequestrian.com
Hellooo .... I think im in the same situation as many showjumpers across the country... worrying whether or not to risk Blue chip what with the equine herpes virus going around.
I was wondering if anyone in that area could shed some light into what is going on and where the virus is in relation to hartpury as we are pretty in the dark down her in cambridgeshire, and wHAt if anything is being down to help prevent the spread?
Blue chip havent confirmed any news yet regarding refunds apart from a statement on thier website saying it was in discussion, any ideas?
Many thanks for all your replies ... not sure if im being overly protective thinking about pulling them out or not!!!!
XXX

lou_lou

Visit site
If Hartpury think it is safe to go ahead then I will be going. I have had advice from numerous vets and trainers and they think it will be fine. Obviously Hartpury won't run if they think it will put there own horses inc mares and foals at risk. It is just a waiting game now to see if they will run I just home they make a decision before the weekend so we can plan ahead!

JackJill

Visit site
We have decided not to go. One of our horses is sold and another is on the market so for us it's a risk too far, which is such a shame as we love Bluechip.

millimoo

Visit site
Multiple threads on British Dressage forum - it is the paralytic form which can be fatal :( I gather two horses had been PTS already - one on a Pro Dressage yard
This is an update in terms of how some of it has been spread taken from a thread today

RE: Equine herpes in Glos

This came from our hunt last night, unfortunately I know for fact some of our hunt horses were hunting with some of these packs this week so probably the damage is already being done.
22nd March 2013
TO HUNTS IN THE GLOUCESTERSHIRE AREA

SUBJECT: EQUINE HERPES VIRUS (EHV) UPDATE

The MFHA has been asked to pass on the following information to Hunts in the Gloucestershire area to clarify the present situation as regards EHV. The spread of the infection to the Beaufort Hunt which was suspected on the 15th March and confirmed on the 17th March was a worrying spread from the original outbreak in early February in the Heythrop country. The vets dealing with the situation suspect that a carrier horse which hunted with the Beaufort on the 6th March and also with the Beaufort and Berkeley at their joint meet on the 9th March was probably to blame. Several further suspects have subsequently come to light – 2 now being confirmed – the virus obviously having been transmitted in the hunting field. In this light both the vets dealing with the situation locally and also The Animal Health Trust at Newmarket strongly advise that hunting should cease with packs in the Gloucestershire area where horses have definitely been in contact with one another. They further strongly advise that NO horses that have been either hunted or been in contact with any horse that has been hunted in the Beaufort, Berkeley, VWH, Cotswold or Heythrop area should be taken anywhere where they could be in contact with other horses for a minimum of 14 days assuming no disease signs found in their stables.
They also advise that it is good practice for all horse owners to monitor their own horses for any signs of infection as below;

THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR:
1: Temperature increase. Check your horse’s temperature twice daily and if above 38.5C this is a suspicious sign.
2: Dull and off food.
3: Respiratory signs, i.e. coughing or nasal discharge.
4: Abortion in pregnant mares.
5: Neurological signs, i.e. incoordination or unsteady on limbs.
Transmission is via direct horse to horse contact or by direct aerosol transmission from infected horse usually in shared airspace i.e. close stabling, transport or group of horses.

Prevention:
1: Isolate any new horses coming onto your yard for a minimum of 10 days.
2: Change clothing and wash hands after contact with any suspect or infected horses. Disinfect horse transport between transporting different horses.
3: Avoid stressful stimuli to horses which may have been exposed to the virus.
4: Isolate any horses showing a temperature rise and/or respiratory signs and contact your own vet immediately.
5: Vaccination in the face of an outbreak is NOT recommended.

The MFHA therefore advise all Hunts listed to pass on this information to their communities immediately

millimoo

Visit site
As a further point, one of the horses PTS belongs to a BD forum member, and none have been hunting, but share hacking routes etc.
I cannot believe that this is not a hot topic, as its going to get worse before it gets better :(

mil1212

Visit site
I cannot believe that this is not a hot topic, as its going to get worse before it gets better :(

millimoo, absolutely agree. I am not sure if I am worrying too much about this whole thing! I am supposed to be going to the blue chips, stabling for 2 nights and I am concerned. I think if I wasn't stabling I would be less concerned, but then the indoor warmup is tiny and gets crowded too..... I have been reading the UKSJ thread on facebook as well as the BD forum but I am still non the wiser of actual confirmed EHV1 cases.

millimoo

Visit site
There's definitely a confirmed case on the Dressage yard - the yard owners name is mentioned on the BD thread, and he's been very open about it. I think one has been PTS, and they are nursing a number is sick horses - I don't believe they are the source of the outbreak and by all accounts, it's initial spread has been via the hunts mentioned in my previous thread.

BD were due to publish a statement today about the latest position regards the Winter Championshops, but prior to that there's the Riding Club Championships, and the Blue Chip finals, so many are speculating that BD are going to see what happens.
Bio security will be in place and horses temperatures tested before unloading, but some have already scrapped their entries, and its those that are stabling that have the greatest fears as horses can touch noses over the top of the solid partitions, and other stables are only separated by bars.
Even then, all it would take is someone stroking one horse then moving to another that could pass it on.
If it wasn't the paralytic type, I think everyone would be less worried... But this strain can quite feasibly be fatal, and make some quite poorly, and never fully recover.
I was not too concerned until this was debated to death on the BD forum, but that was down to my lack of knowledge.
The more I read, the more concerned I get, as a vet or carrier could accidentally pass it on - farriers certainly don't change their clothing, and clean their hands and feet between clients.
These championships equate to horses travelling from all over the UK, so whilst its contained in the Gloucestershire area for now, it will spread - the next 3-4 weeks are going to be very telling

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
I've pulled out of Blue Chip and weston lawns. My client is deciing about poys but likely to pull out too.

Yes, there is a risk at any show but when its blatantly obvious cases are about and spreading why put the horses in obvious danger?

Personally i think a few pulling out isnt enough though. Theres nothing to stop some of the locals going, bringing it back, then spreading it at a local show and us lot staying at home getting it anyway! (Although we will be takog precautions wherever we go!)

The whole country needs to go on lockdown - get it contained, then get shows up and runnig again.

It should be a notifiable disease and I think their needs to be a governing body who grows a backbone and sorts it out. I bet if BD cancelled all competitions BS would follow suit (or vice versa).

Yes there is a lot of mass panic but why not be sensible for a month and keep the horses safe!

JackJill

Visit site
Apparently a new case has been reported 3 miles from Hartpury. Anyone still thinking of going I would keep an eye on the UKSJ forum on Facebook for up to date information.

Fanatical

Visit site
Do we think this virus is going to end up with a ban on all shows/ events etc similar to foot and mouth?

The horse which has contracted it in Aberdeen competed at Myerscough Prem League.

It is getting rather worrying!

millimoo

Visit site
The owner of the horse from Aberdeen has been on the Forum... They are waiting for confirmation as to which strain the horse has, and are now on lockdown with all other horses being tested.
The Animal Health trust are trying to keep an updated list of outbreaks, but because its not a noticeable disease there may be more cases out there.
Personally its time to start thinking about a 5 week lock down. I'd be livid (after getting over the worrry) f a horse of mine caught EHV from someone's horse who's been out competing

mil1212

Visit site
There is an update on the blue chips website. Have to say I'm a little concerned that they are going to check all horses on arrival - sure this is a good step, but does that not become a point of transfer of any bugs, no matter how well you disinfect between horses?

toffeesmarty

Visit site
We were due to attend an NPS WHP show at Summerhouse EC on Saturday which although has no cases is right in the middle of the area of the known cases in Gloucstershire.

Having heard about EHV I've spent all night researching what has been happening by pulling lots of different pieces of information together. I have to say I'm appalled that the information isnt more freely available and in a central place. Even HHO hasnt got anything other than a description of the symptoms and how safe it is to vacinate!!

After taking all of the facts into consideration we wont be attending the show and unless the situation improves we wont go anywhere else either for the forseeable future. What worries me is that in doing my research and asking questions of my friends its become apparent that most of them knew nothing of the outbreaks either. Although BD have been good at posting news on their website the other equine associations and organisations have been shocking and as a result, what could've be a containable situation is one that is likely to spread and get a lot worse before it gets better.

Gamebird

Visit site
Apparently a new case has been reported 3 miles from Hartpury. Anyone still thinking of going I would keep an eye on the UKSJ forum on Facebook for up to date information.

Keep an eye on there by all means but don't take it as gospel. I've been following the thread and some of the things people have been putting on there are so staggeringly inaccurate that it is unreal.

Llanali

Visit site
^ WSS. Forums and Facebook can be notoriously overexcitable. Official releases from governing bodies are likely more reliable.

JackJill

Visit site
Quite agree guys however there are direct links to updated info from AHT and Blue Chip themselves guessing these are of use.....

Gamebird

Visit site
Quite agree guys however there are direct links to updated info from AHT and Blue Chip themselves guessing these are of use.....

Sorry, I should have been more specific. That stuff (AHT stuff in particular) is brilliant. The opinions of some of the posters, particularly on methods of transmission etc., are just downright rubbish.

Avonbrook

www.avonbrookstud.co.uk
I'm going to the AHT site for updates.

As it goes, Endurance GB have unilaterally cancelled a competitive ride at Tresham because it is close to a known EHV1 outbreak.

I am most concerned about local unaffiliated dressage/showing/jumping competitions because I agree that awareness amongst riders likely to be at these events seems to be very low.

We haven't been out competing yet since before the start of the outbreak and I shall be watching the situation very closely before making decisions on competitions for which we have entries in.

Llanali

Visit site
Yes, and my comment was more in line with the idea that if every forum or Facebook "rumoured" case was confirmed, if would likely run into near 500...

lyndsayberesford

Visit site
if i was booked for blue chip i wouldnt be going.

tbh i will probably leave taking mine anywhere for a few weeks as wouldnt want to put him under any undue risk, and ive already had a 6 month break with this one due to a "virus" (tested negative for EHV) plus another 4 months with a fracture! Defo not wanting to risk him getting EHV1.

mil1212

Visit site
At this point I would rather not go, however, it is a lot of money to be loosing. They have changed their refund policy to be much more agreeable, but Only for those that have been in contact with the hunt horses or are in the area. Everyone else gets 50% of their entry fee, loosing stabling, gala tickets and hookup costs. Doesn't seem fair considering the dressage horses seem to have carried it too.

naza

Visit site
I'm due to be competing at Hartpury this weekend for the Riding club championships, and really am at two minds about going.. my first thought was that surely Hartpury feel its safe enough to continue with the competition otherwise they would cancel :?
but then I feel that as theres 5 hours inbetween my rounds, thats a long time to be hanging around with a potential virus around, also I had concern with the vet checking every horse and with the possibility of spreading the virus..

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
I haven't been on facebook so don't know what's going on on the forum on there but imagine the rumour mills are running rife!

I too am shocked though at the number of people i've had to inform about it. Even the blue chip website the statement isn't glaringly obvious amongst all the other bits and pieces!

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
Also, i'm a freelance groom and starting to be very careful about which yards I go too.

Many of my clients have decided not to go to certain shows - like poys but it would be terrible if i was to spread it between them.

The main yard i work for is a dealing yard, they're not taking any new horses in until it calms down but it would be tragic for business if i took the disease there. We are only 2 hours from hartpury and have had clients travelling between us and there over xmas but thankfully not too recently although we are being very very careful!!