Body protector AND air vest or JUST air vest?

DonskiWA

Visit site
I have always worn a Racesafe body protector. For the past year I have been wearing an air vest as well.
I am starting to think though that the body protector is superfluous and may even do more harm than good in a fall.
In Xc comps I will still wear both, but for hacking and Xc schooling just wear the air vest. It's obviously less bulky, cooler and more comfy.

Is that what what most people with an air vest do? Is it safer with both do you think or no difference? (I'm an old chook on a flighty, spooky,fit Anglo-Arab!).

Shay

Visit site
You can't compete in an air vest alone - unless it is one of the PRS2 style that is an air vest and BP in one. All 3 air vest manufacturers state in their literature it is to be worn over a BP. The BP will not impair the use of the air jacket in the event of an accident.

Obviously something is better than nothing and if the choice was a vest alone or nothing I would go with the vest. But if you do fall you will be more seriously winded as the expansion of the jacket is calculated to allow for the BP underneath - other than the HitAir which says it only expands outward. I know from experience that both the old Pro2 and the Helite are much tighter and less comfortable on expansion without a BP beneath. Personally I wear both or discard the jacket. Like you I suspect - I break more easily these days than I used too!

Skib

sites.google.com
that the body protector is superfluous and may even do more harm than good in a fall.

Would you like to say why you think a bp could do more harm than good? There is (to my mind) a dangerous myth going around that the bruising left on one's body by the edge of a bp which has hit a hard surface, is "doing harm" or is causing worse bruising than impact with the ground. That was indeed the case when I fell from canter onto tarmac. But a doctor who attributes one's injuries to the body protector may be drawing false conclusions.
An analogy my daughter says is with mountaineers falling from a mountain who are saved by ropes and harness which do indeed mark them and bruise them. But the injury or death which would occur slipping on a mountain without ropes would be far greater. Same goes for falling off a horse onto a hard surface wearing a bp.
There are statistic somewhere on line abut the failure rate of air vests. There must also be injuries caused by badly fitting bps too, since I went to buy one at Olympia and was told there was none in that brand to fit me.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Hi, I wear a Hitair air jacket (the hi vix model) for hacking without a BP underneath. Until recently, I didn't wear either an air jacket nor a BP, so my theory is that the air jacket on its own is a big improvement! Although of course I do agree that it would be better to wear both!

Also, when you look at the "gilet"style air jackets on the various websites, none of the models are wearing them over a BP.

cavalo branco

Visit site
I just wear my Hit-Air for hacking, jumping and the occasional hunt meet. I don't compete XC. I have fallen off twice and both times the jacket has offered great protection without a BP underneath. I wouldn't normally wear a BP anyway because I find them restrictive and too hot in summer.
My take is that it's better to have the Airjacket on than nothing, it's so easy to wear and has encouraged me to wear something!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have just bought a hit air vest and have not decided whether to wear it on top of my BP or not. I will mainly be schooling so not particularly dangerous but worry in case the air vest fails. Seems a hell of a performance to wear both for schooling.

calmgirl

Visit site
Do you not need to decide before getting one fitted if its to wear with or without a bp?
Wouldn't they be too big then?

Was pondering OPs question myself.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Do you not need to decide before getting one fitted if its to wear with or without a bp?
Wouldn't they be too big then?

Was pondering OPs question myself.

I don't know about other air vests, but the hit air one has lots of room for adjustment. Mine would fit over just a tee shirt, or a BP and coat on top.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I just wear my point two on its own. I was only saying today that I need to get a better bra!!!!

I bought mine because it had plenty of room to adjust. I have worn it over a polo shirt and am now wearing it over layers! It has Velcro straps which move in and out.

DonskiWA

Visit site
Thanks all, I'm sensing that wearing them on their own seems to be more the current practice.

Skib, I have absolutely no data to provide re: bps doing more harm than good and have only listened to a handful of anecdotal claims. I think my own position is in complete agreement with you really. I do wonder though about the edge of my bp, it is feels rock hard. I wonder why they don't taper them off to soften the impact?

I can adjust my air vest to fit with or without the bp and have fallen both ways (numerous times!) and the fit was always good. There is the question of the vests failing I guess.

popsdosh

Visit site
Thanks all, I'm sensing that wearing them on their own seems to be more the current practice.

Skib, I have absolutely no data to provide re: bps doing more harm than good and have only listened to a handful of anecdotal claims. I think my own position is in complete agreement with you really. I do wonder though about the edge of my bp, it is feels rock hard. I wonder why they don't taper them off to soften the impact?

I can adjust my air vest to fit with or without the bp and have fallen both ways (numerous times!) and the fit was always good. There is the question of the vests failing I guess.

There is always the consideration that the fall when you might need the most protection you will find the air jacket wont have been triggered. I would always say BP first.

Ella19

Visit site
I've read somewhere there have been a few instances with air jackets on there own causing spleen damage from the canister on impact. Although obviously it depends on the way you fall it's something to bear in mind.