Body protector recommendations / xc gear

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Thinking about giving xc a try, so need to get a body protector. So many options! Is it purple label standard I need? What fits women well? I’m a size 10 - 12, and tallish (5’9”). Obviously want something that’s safe but ideally not too expensive. £100 max - £50 would be fab.

Is is right that I need a skull cap rather than my normal riding hat? Any other equipment? My horse has boots for jumping... does she need anything else?

Thanks everyone.

be positive

Visit site
You really need to try a few to find what suits you as they can be restrictive if not right and ineffective if not fitted correctly, what suits one person will not suit another even if they are essentially similar in build and height, once you have been fitted you can look for a better deal of you want but for your first one it makes sense to get it right.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
You really need to try a few to find what suits you as they can be restrictive if not right and ineffective if not fitted correctly, what suits one person will not suit another even if they are essentially similar in build and height, once you have been fitted you can look for a better deal of you want but for your first one it makes sense to get it right.

That does like a sensible approach. No big horsey stores nearby so will have to work out where has plenty of options.

Fiona

Visit site
I reckon if you're only going to do xc occasionally, it won't really matter if it's really comfy or just ok. As long as it had levels 3 label with either 2009 or 2018 in it.

And yes you will need a skull cap..

Good luck.

Fiona

be positive

Visit site
I reckon if you're only going to do xc occasionally, it won't really matter if it's really comfy or just ok. As long as it had levels 3 label with either 2009 or 2018 in it.

And yes you will need a skull cap..

Good luck.

Fiona

As an instructor I think it important that it is comfy as well as a good fit, there is nothing worse than trying to focus on riding into solid fences when you are aware the BP is digging in somewhere, banging against the saddle or generally distracting the rider from what they are doing, in many ways the less it is worn the less aware of it you need to be as the jumping will be the priority when you have less experience, there is possibly also the higher risk of a fall and a BP can be useless if it doesn't fit correctly.

Upthecreek

Visit site
If you fall off they can literally be the difference between life and death. There are many horse related items I scrimp on, but if you are jumping solid fences invest in a properly fitted body protector.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
If you fall off they can literally be the difference between life and death. There are many horse related items I scrimp on, but if you are jumping solid fences invest in a properly fitted body protector.

What sort of price range do you think is needed? I thought purple label was the safety standard?

Definitely always have a well fitted hat which meets safety standards. Trying to workout what’s a good choice :).

Fiona

Visit site
As an instructor I think it important that it is comfy as well as a good fit, there is nothing worse than trying to focus on riding into solid fences when you are aware the BP is digging in somewhere, banging against the saddle or generally distracting the rider from what they are doing, in many ways the less it is worn the less aware of it you need to be as the jumping will be the priority when you have less experience, there is possibly also the higher risk of a fall and a BP can be useless if it doesn't fit correctly.

I didn't say not fitting, just that if it was only to be worn occasionally (rather than every day) I'd compromise on 100%vs90% comfiness if it were cheaper, as OP has a low budget...

For example, my Kanteq is 100% comfy, I forget I'm wearing it, however they are over £200 and practically made to measure.

My airowear one is properly fitted, but more squishing to the boobies, so if I have to wear it it takes me 10 min to get used to the feeling. It was much cheaper though.

Fiona

Upthecreek

Visit site
Yep it must be level 3, purple label. The thing is that different makes fit differently, so go somewhere with different makes and try them to see what fits you well and what size you need. Personally I like Race Safe, but new they are over £200. Once you know what you want you can always look out for a second hand one.

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
All 2009/2018 L3 protectors will meet the same minimum testing requirements but I think point previous posters are trying to make is not necessarily buying the most expensive one but buying the one that fits you best. That may be the £100 shires one or £300 dainese but you won’t know what gives you a comfortable range of motion without catching on saddles etc if you don’t try them on! As a previous poster said, once you’ve tried some on and know the make/ size that is comfortable for you then you can shop around, though whatever you do do *not* buy secondhand, just like buying a second hand hat you have no guarantee that a second hand body protector is still offering the labelled protection, even if on the surface it looks to be in good condition.

As for other items:

hats - need to not have a fixed peak
boots (for horse) - personally I wouldn’t buy XC boots until you know you want to keep doing XC (add money saved to body protector pot!). Ideally you want something with strike protection behind like tendon boots but closed fronted... if your horse has no history of strike injuries or overreaching, I’d probably just put brushing boots all round, then get XC boots later if you decide to keep it up.

ETA if you don’t have a large tack shop nearby with a wide range of body protectors to try, are there any horse events local to you/ that you’re planning on going to with a large shopping village (Burghley, Olympia etc) as they’ll have lots of sellers.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
All 2009/2018 L3 protectors will meet the same minimum testing requirements but I think point previous posters are trying to make is not necessarily buying the most expensive one but buying the one that fits you best. That may be the £100 shires one or £300 dainese but you won’t know what gives you a comfortable range of motion without catching on saddles etc if you don’t try them on! As a previous poster said, once you’ve tried some on and know the make/ size that is comfortable for you then you can shop around, though whatever you do do *not* buy secondhand, just like buying a second hand hat you have no guarantee that a second hand body protector is still offering the labelled protection, even if on the surface it looks to be in good condition.

As for other items:

hats - need to not have a fixed peak
boots (for horse) - personally I wouldn’t buy XC boots until you know you want to keep doing XC (add money saved to body protector pot!). Ideally you want something with strike protection behind like tendon boots but closed fronted... if your horse has no history of strike injuries or overreaching, I’d probably just put brushing boots all round, then get XC boots later if you decide to keep it up.

ETA if you don’t have a large tack shop nearby with a wide range of body protectors to try, are there any horse events local to you/ that you’re planning on going to with a large shopping village (Burghley, Olympia etc) as they’ll have lots of sellers.

Really helpful, thanks. Will think about horsey shows to go to - or find a tack shop and drive out. Fit makes sense and can increase budget if needed. Need to buy a hat as well, so may need to do some saving!

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
Really helpful, thanks. Will think about horsey shows to go to - or find a tack shop and drive out. Fit makes sense and can increase budget if needed. Need to buy a hat as well, so may need to do some saving!

Depending on how long you’re willing to wait, Your Horse live is at the start of November and at Stoneleigh which is practically next door to Leam! (Also an opportunity to shop around hat fits too!)

ArklePig

Visit site
Not particularly flashy or fancy but I've just bought the Harry Hall Hi-Flex back protector from Online for equine for half the price of my local tack shop and it fits really well especially around the chest, and is very comfortable, but in any event, it's easy to return. Just make sure to do your measurements first as it's quite small fitting.