Body Protector vs Air vest

kayteale

New User
Visit site
Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of each. I know very little about both and have never worn one. However I have recently had a very bad fall which resulted in a weeks stay in hospital. Not with broken bones but with a blood clot on my liver and two splits! Hence I now feel the need to do some research into what's available and get myself protected. Help!

Ella19

Visit site
they recommend that you wear a body protector with an air vest anyway, not just an air vest.

The most important things to look for in a body protector is that is is level 3 (purple label) to give you maximum protection and that it is comfortable for YOU to wear. What's comfy for one person isn't for another, so go and try a few on and see what you like, if it's not confortable you won't wear it so it's pointless. I have a Kan and love the shape and fit, after my accident I found this was one of the best on the market and felt very comfortable to me when on, others find racesafe's fit them better.

I looked at the air jackets and was going to get the hit air one as it inflates outwards rather than restricting you like the point two allergly does. I have pins and plates in my collar bone which I can't stand any pressure on so the point 2 wasn't for me. Then I went hunting and a few people fell off wearing these, half the time the accident seemed to be caused by the pop of the air jacket inflating before the rider fell off. Whether this was bad fitting by the rider and not desensitising the horse I don't know but I decided it wasn't for me and that my Kan was enough.