Body Protectors and Seat Savers oh my!

skint1

Visit site
I've been browsing ebay the last week or so and I am drawn to 2 things that I am not sure I need but i think I may kind of want. At the outset I would like to say that although both these things are "safety" related I have a good horse, I am not afraid to ride him, we have a nice time and this is no reflection on his handsome self- I am a generally anxious person so am susceptible to wanting this type of thing, am also a sucker for a supplement too but that's a different story :)

Thing 1 is a a Harry Hall Ladies Hi Flex body protector. I currently have a cheap knock off version of a Racesafe but the zip is broken and tbh as it's not the real thing it isn't as flexible as you;d think, and probably not entirely as safe as it should, this one looks like it might be light and flexible and safer!

Thing 2 is an Acavallo Gel Out or possibly Gel In seat saver. This is meant to help with lower back pain (which I have) and also give some extra stickiness to the saddle, which can never be a bad thing I guess, apparently the Gel in is better for your back, I think I might want one, but I don't know which

Does anyone have any experience of either or both of these things? Or any other recommendations?

Myloubylou

Visit site
Had & sold gel out as horrid to ride on in summer - sweaty rear end. Also fiddly to fit to the saddle as clips go in the gullet, always worried not comfortable for my horse. I now do a lot of Pilates to strengthen my back so don't need seat saver

old hand

Visit site
The gel out one does make you stick better but you feel a bit perched so it is a question of how you feel in it. I do have one I use for anything likely to buck but prefer riding without it. However have a leg I damaged up near the hip and it does stop it going numb on longer rides. It does feel weird in rising trot to start with as you sort of stick to it. A decent pair of sticky bum jodphurs or breeches seem better for jumping to me.

Abacus

Visit site
I have a gel in seat saver, not for any problems with pain or staying on but just because my jump saddle is a bit hard and uncomfortable for hacking (and I prefer to hack in that in case we meet convenient logs and bushes to jump). It did make all the difference and isn't hot or sticky, and doesn't make you feel perched. It is probably slightly less slippery than a leather saddle. I haven't tried one but the original Heather Moffat seat savers might be more cushioned.

Floxie

Visit site
I have both a gel out and a Heather Moffat and I love them both. The gel out is maybe more grippy and comfortable - never had terrible problems with it being sticky, except the time I forgot and wore suede seat jods :D The moffat comes up a little short on my dressage saddle seat. Thinking about it, I'm not really aware of it being on when I'm onboard so it must be OK. Both make you feel a little perched to begin with as you'll be about 1" higher, but you soon get used to it :)

I'd go for it, specially if you have lower back pain - so many people swear by them for that. I don't, but I love the grip!

As to the body protector, why not. You've said your current one isn't ideal. If a little extra safety makes you feel better, it doesn't matter what a saint your horse is, do it. Besides, an accident could happen that isn't either of your faults, so that's no argument for not having some safety gear :)

wiglet

Visit site
I have the Acavallo gel out seat saver. Fantastic item - has made riding comfortable again (I suffered hip pain since breaking my pelvis). Never found it too sticky and I can still 'feel' my horse... have also sat some spectacular bucks with this seat saver :D

Don't know about the BP - I have a genuine Racesafe one which is very comfortable.

Shoei

Visit site
I also love my Acavello Gel Out seat saver!!!

I don't wear my BP everyday but I do use a point 2 every ride. My horse can be a bit scatty and it has saved me a number of times, however, I don'tt have to deal with the bulk of a BP

McFluff

Visit site
I'm another one who loves the Acavello Gel Out seat saver - and I use mine with suede seat breeches. I got mine originally for a horse that could get 'excited' and forget I was there, so it helped keep me in place. Now I use it as the current saddle is horrid on its own. I don't have back pain (agree that pilates is the way to go to strengthen your back), but can recommend it as a way to give extra grip, cushioning and protect the saddle. It is fiddly to fit at first, but once on, no probs.
I prefer it to the Heather Moffat one - that was too bulky and the wrong shape for me.
Happy shopping :)

skint1

Visit site
Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment, had a busy day so only just got back here! Am at Barbury tomorrow, may have a look and see if they have any Acavallo seat savers to look at, otherwise it looks like Equiboodle sell them so I could pop in there some time and have a look in the flesh. Same with the body protector.

Tobiano

Visit site
another vote for Acavallo Gel Out seat saver. this is actually the first time i have seen any adverse comments on them but I love mine.

I'd also vote for a better body protector - i figure if it is extremely uncomfortable you won't wear it, so either have one that is reasonably comfy or don't bother! I just bought a new aerowear one and it is actually really good, I do forget I am wearing it.

Floxie

Visit site
I have an aerowear - it's not bad when it's on and warmed up, but I hate it before then! Particularly horrid in winter when you can't even bend the thing... ;) I'd love a racesafe for that reason, but when I went to Rideaway the sales assistant insisted they were only for jockeys, and I didn't know enough about the different models to argue :(

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I've just bought an Avacallo Gel out seat saver and so far I love it. I'm only short and was worried about feeling perched but I don't at all. I've been riding in it in the heat and don't have problem with it at all. I'm looking forward to the comfort when I go out on my mega-hacks :)

skint1

Visit site
Well guys, I went to Barbury and had several visits to a shop that sold the gel out pads, went away and thought about it for a while,weighed up the pros and cons and decided to buy it. Plan to use it tomorrow and see how we go!

Next pay day I shall get the body protector, and then a leaf hoover to suck up any sycamore helicoptors when they start falling as I am never losing another horse to EAM

Thank you all for your input, I might have a look at the aerowear ones now as well