Body Protectors

thehorsephotographer

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Any advice would be most welcome.

I've just had a quote for a Rodney Powell body protector in a custom size (£170) or I have also found that an Airowear Outlyne (£150) will fit me well off the peg. The Outlyne was comfortable in the shop when tried on and I have read good reports about them - forgetting you have one on etc. I have never ridden with a body protector before however so have no experience of which would be a good choice comfort and safety wise when being ridden.

I'd appreciate the opinions/thoughts of anyone on here who has either - what you like/dislike about them both.

Thanks in advance!

mandwhy

Visit site
I do not have either of those but I tell you what I wish I'd tried mine in a saddle or thought about the fact it would sometimes bump on the back of it! I wear my bp whenever riding the 4yo and it is surprising how you get used to the bulk and mine is just a cheapie one, but the bumping is highly annoying!

longdog

Visit site
We sell both BP's mentioned & have a saddle horse for people to sit on, with a saddle, when trying the BP's. This gives a good idea of clearance. If your BP is bumping the back of the saddle, IT IS TOO LONG!!! Both Airowear & Rodney Powell offer different back lengths to suit. (So also does Hows Racesafe 2010 & we sell these too)

MissChaos

Visit site
Out of the two, I love my RP and forget it's on. Personally, I found the Outlyne heavy and didn't like it (but I'm not overly built for them anyway, apparently! :eek:). Saying all that, my next will be an RS for even more flexibility.

mandwhy

Visit site
You're probably right there longdog, I didn't really think about that as I have quite a long body or so I thought! This saddle also has quite a high cantle but it is not mine. I may invest in a better one, trying with a saddle sounds entirely sensible!

Visit site
I have an airowear bp but tried on a Rodney Powell one at a show and found it to be much more comfortable. Only bought the airowear because we sadly could not afford the Rodney Powell at the time.

BeepaStar

Visit site
I have both the bp you've mentioned and my preference is the airoware over the RP. I found I didn't have as much flexibility in the RP, but I can twist and turn around very easily in the airoware. Hope this helps :)

LollyDolly

Visit site
Now then, I don't have either but if money isn't a concern then maybe look into a Point 2 Air Jacket? They are very expensive, however they are great! I love mine, it is incredibly lightweight and I often forget that I have it on! So much so that I rather enthusiastically dismounted my Sports Horse and forgot to unclip myself and as a result I went up like the mitchelin man. Cue one very confused horse and one rather embarrassed rider :eek:
But yes, they are fab and you certainly don't feel much of an impact when you fall off! And that was on a 17.2 ISH! :cool:

thehorsephotographer

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Sadly money is an issue. I've seen the point 2 air jackets and absolutely love them but they are totally out of my reach at the moment. That said the last twice I've been exhibiting at Allerton and Skipton Horse Trials I've seen a few riders looking around for replacement cannisters which have sold out quite early in the day from the tack stores and though we should maybe look into getting some in - could have sold a few I reckon! :D:D

I have to say I'm swaying towards RP based on what people have said so far. Just hope that I've got the measurements accurate enough. Two people have measured me! I'm not sure however how cm perfect they need to be or if there's a little breathing space.

LollyDolly

Visit site
Haha fair enough! I was not best pleased at having to fork out a fortune for mine however I was riding a psycho ISH so I needed something which had a good chance of saving me from certain death! ;)
And sadly I have a bit of an issue with chunky body protectors, looking back it was hilarious however when I was 13 I semi-fell off my pony and then my body protector got caught on the back of the saddle. This created a bit of a mishap to say the least haha! :p So yeah, me and chunky body protectors aren't friends! ;)

Bayneddie

Visit site
Can you get to somewhere to try them on at all? I have an Airowear Reiver, so does my 6yo daughter, and I'd tried so many on and hated them until I found that one that just felt so much better and more part of me than anything else.
So my advice would be to actually try on, not just go off measurements, as they all feel different.
Having said that, I'm thinking of a race safe as my next one and I don't think anywhere has those to try on :(

thehorsephotographer

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Yes I can. I don't live too far away from Ride-Away so have already done that this week (which is how I know the Outlyne fits off the peg. My problem is I am small (as in short in height 5'1") and quite roundish - hence the need to a made to measure. My back measurement is relatively short too. If I were a horse my owner would be putting a treeless saddle on me or something lol!

My other problem is that because I have never ridden in a body protector anything feels alien to me. I've only just come back into riding after an illness and quite a few years (other than the odd hack and a ranch holiday in the US) and at now 50 and self employed plus riding both a 4 year old newly broken moody mare and rising 6 nappy gelding I think I really would be stupid not to ride in one now.

I sat on a saddle in the Outlyne and it felt fine and the longer I had it on in the shop the more accustomed I became to it but it did feel quite heavy and bulky. The others which I tried on which actually fitted felt really stiff and uncomfortable.